Thread: My Art @_@
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #69
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co.Inkadink View Post
No doubt this guy is a fantastic artist no denying that but if you look at the history of Kirby and others like him they didn't want people redrawing their stuff and fixing it. If any artist draws full pencils he intends every line to be inked, if he did breakdowns it's more open to interpretation.
I came across a blog posting, today, from a few years back, that made me think of your posting in this thread, Co. Inkadink. Here's the quote from that blog posting that caught my eye:

---------------
Thomas also said that he didnít think Kirby was interested in teaching other artists because he didnít want to teach them to be Jack Kirby; he wanted them to find their own way.

SOURCE: http://chimeradave.blogspot.com/sear...l/Jack%20Kirby
---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co.Inkadink View Post
but when Jack Kirby drew that picture 34 years he put those lines there for a reason. I know some people like to see different styles blended and so do I but the request was just to ink. Look at the original there are thick and thin line weights and cross hatching and all sorts of detail that Kirby put there it's not open for interpretation.
I never knew Jack Kirby, personally, nor did I ever meet him in person. However, I would like to add a few words on the subject of Jack Kirby.

The very thing that distinguished Jack Kirby's artwork was his interpretation of art. His art was often epic in scale, for the very simple reason that his interpretation was equally epic in scale.

The inherent nature of art is that it is subject to not just interpretation, but to countless interpretations.

Jack Kirby, God bless his soul, is dead and gone. A great body of his work endures. His legacy in comic book art terms is a thing of legend.

He no longer owns his own work. In due time, every last bit of it will fall into the public domain. Long after we are all dead and gone, people will still be studying Jack Kirby's art and style.

Jack Kirby can't draw for us, anymore. People like this Jimlai can, however. It seems to me that one of the foremost attributes of a great artist is a willingness to make a given piece of art one's own. To leave one's mark, so to speak.

What Jack Kirby liked or may have wanted is all fine and dandy, but what he liked or wanted at any given moment are likely things quite distinct from what would necessarily command his respect.

If it is true that Jack Kirby wasn't interested in teaching other artists, because he didnít want to teach them to be Jack Kirby, but rather, he wanted them to find their own way, then isn't that exactly what Jimlai did, call it whatever else you may?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote