View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #48
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Duran
Basically, you just agreed that it's the artist's job to get sizing and formatting of the page right, in regards to trim and bleed and all that. Why are you still arguing that it's not the artist's job, when you yourself have just admitted that as an artist you do it? I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm just curious. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
I never said that it is or it is not.
What I said is that the decision about the size and format is a matter of the person who manage the project. The guy who pays.
IF, he want the files to be sent in 6.875 x 10.4375 .
He will get these files in this format.
IF, he want something different, he will have something different.No artist will complain about doing that. Doing this is a not problem at all.
No artist are charging for resizing files.
No artist is charging for make every other adjustment when these are needed.

Quote:
Nobody's twisting anything. Their argument is quite clear: the art should be the right size BEFORE it goes any further than pencils. If it gets to the letterer - literally the end of the assembly line - and it's not formatted correctly, then there IS a problem.
Again, THAT is a MISCONCEPTION.
Again, this is not a letterer decision.
This is not an artist decision.
It is an editor decision or project manager decision.
The guy who pay for the work is the one who determine
what size, what format and everything else.
And in what stage of the work
certain things should be done.
HE, and not the parts involved in the project.

Quote:
That's what they ARE doing. And as long as they get paid, it's a pain in the ass for them to do, but they're getting compensated so they put up with it. It might be a stretch of me to say this, but I'd almost say that a letterer would rather get correctly-sized and proportioned art at the START, than have to screw around with trims and bleeds before they could start on their job, regardless of whatever extra they're charging you to fix it. Again, maybe a stretch, but personally, I'd rather have it right when I get it than have to fix it. That's just me.
So if you are getting paid for resizing ,what is your complain?
You found a way of making extra money with a simple Action in photoshop
Quote:
Nobody's blaming anybody. Blaming makes it sound like it's finger-pointing, which is usually BS and not based off fact. But this is a FACT - the penciler is the first person to put any kind of art on the page. If the second person (the inker) gets a page that isn't formatted correctly, it's a FACT that the penciler messed up. And it's the inker's job as a member of the creative team to let the penciler know and get it fixed. Improperly formatted pages shouldn't get further than one person down the line before they're fixed.
The only thing that is a fact is that the letterer is affected by
sizes and formats and nobody else in the creative team does.
Not even the editors.
Quote:
I call it annoying as hell. Hypothetically, if I'm lettering a comic, it's because I'm good at it and because I enjoy doing it (it sure as hell isn't for the fame and fortune). If I have to do something menial that SHOULD have been done LONG before I even got the page, before I can get to the job that I enjoy and that I'm proficient at, it A) kinda turns me off from lettering it at that moment and B) kinda pisses me off because someone before me screwed up and either didn't know it or did know and didn't care enough to fix it or speak up. And as someone who is trying to break in and make a name for myself in this industry, I think that's both unprofessional and unacceptable.
-Fred
If the things are coming wrong and nobody will pay you for the fixing, don't take the job. Look for something else.
There are plenty of opportunities out there.

Peace.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote