View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #174
RonaldMontgomery
Mass Transit Ethnographer

RonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod
It is the rigid structure that does it, and it certainly does a good job of establishing a beat.

The best thing to do with a nine-panel, IMO, is to make your reader comfortable with time, and then throw them out of it by making follow-on sequences feel bigger or smaller. It's a good way to not just imply time, but to demand it.
I don't know if the sequence of time has to be sequential...it was used to great effect in Watchmen when Laurie has flashbacks of her childhood.
Drawing feelings and images through, then regressing to them later, giving them a deeper poignancy. I don't believe a comfort with time is the purpose, though there is a steadiness.
To say that the nine-panel's best purpose is to set up a sequence...I don't know about that. I think in Watchmen, when you had a panel that was a whole tier, it had the effect of slowing down time: Nixon stumbling from Air Force One, Veidt striking his would-be assassin.
I guess that was a set-up but to serve the wider narrative, not for its own purposes.
But I agree, it did make the scenes feel bigger, varying the structure.

I'm think I'm probably going to make a fool of myself by using a Vanessa Carlton song to talk about comics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgoH-KvZB2U
In the first 44 seconds of the song, the piano sets the pace. Vocals and instrumentation are layered on top. And after the 44 second mark, it feels like the song opens up. I love it.

I guess I think about how the panels themselves can be emotionally and narratively meaningful.

Oh, blah blah. Sorry, just my thoughts.