Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 01-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
midknight
Armando Batista

midknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nice

talking

blog
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

this is looking great.
the added polish you are putting into your work is paying off.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

This doesn't look bad, however, I think the word balloons and captions are standing out too much from the art so as to make for... somewhat of a disconnect. I mean, yeah, you want them to stand out, but you also want the page to seem as a whole.

The issue is with the stroke around the balloons. If you were to lessen that, I think it would look nicer. So, if you are using Adobe Illustrator, and the stroke around them is set to 1, you might want to try 0.75.

Though, if it was me, and if I was lettering over art that looks like yours, I would probably not use a stroke at all, or a very thin one. Those outlines work best, in my opinion, with comics that use hard black lines to ink. Since you are not doing that, yet the balloons have such a strong black outline, it's creating this sort of disconnected look.

Steve Wands didn't often use outlines when he lettered over Stjepan Sejic artwork in Aquaman, or when he did, they were very then and light, and it looked really good in my opinion. With art like yours, I would go for a lettering style like that.

Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
midknight
Armando Batista

midknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nice

Some pages in the story have white backgrounds so the captions would be invisible.
Also, when the pages are printed out the lines don't look as thick. It's just because because these images are pretty big.

blog
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
Neil Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight View Post
Some pages in the story have white backgrounds so the captions would be invisible.
What I would do then is change to a lighter stroke, like 0.75 or 0.50 and see how that looks. Or I would change the color of the caption boxes or balloons, even if it's to a light gray or off white. To tell you the truth, it's probably better not to have the balloons totally white because, according to some, an off white is easier on people's eyes. So , in hex code, #fefefe might be more preferable than a shocking white like #ffffff.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Neil Allen

One more thing I should have pointed out earlier. Steve Wands is faced with a white background in the second to last panel of the Aquaman example I posted above. In situations like that he just changed the balloons to a different shade. Still light, though. I personally don't think it interrupts the flow of the story.