The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 11-07-2017, 02:02 AM   #1
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

Power Girl

DC is the best

I had a blast doing this one...hope you enjoy!

cesare2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #2
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

Oh My........
(that's about all I can manage at the moment; more later after closer study, but trust me, it's a good "Oh My...")
jeffchris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:48 AM   #3
TASKER
I'm not your DADA

TASKER has disabled reputation

me2 jeff.. the pose is a bit ambitious... i think where it first goes wrong is the rib cage is a touch small...hence he tries to make it up with extending the obliques the far side should maybe be compressed a bit more??? ( its hard to imagine the pelvic crests?) also the form of the nearest glute seems unfinished.. ive actually tried to draw the pose myself... there also seems to be a bit of apprehension with the nose and mouth... i'd actually like to see a little less trying to define everything - like the arms and a bit more style or simplistic approach so she doesnt look so generic...

He definitely has talent not a bad sketch otherwise..
Old 11-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

I think the arms are weak, will revisit that aspect of the drawing, but as for 'going wrong' I think that is overstating it a bit. The pose is very ambitious, but I should have pushed it even more....I just might try again.... her glute is flat, but her expression, I would say, is different, not typical, not pouty, but still playful, the face is too small for anything more than a suggestion of an expression....

good crit
Old 11-08-2017, 12:36 AM   #5
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

More Power Girl

Done with this one I think. Learned something. Happy with the result. Not perfect but definitely better!

Old 11-08-2017, 04:17 AM   #6
TASKER
I'm not your DADA

TASKER has disabled reputation

Hmm i like the arms the way they where in the previous version seemed to add depth and flow to the art ...

The iliac crest is one of the major landmarks when drawing the human figure cesare you should learn them all.. also included a few tid bits or just simply trash...

lol..
Old 11-08-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

SSTiger will become famous soon enough

I like the first version better too - the arms looked more natural for someone flying in the air. The one thing that seems a bit off to me is the mouth - it's showing too much teeth to be a smile, and the lips aren't wide enough to be a proper grin. She might look better with a smile that's not showing teeth:

Maybe close the lips too just a little bit?

I'm not an artist though and neither do I know that much about drawing, so this is purely the opinion of a layperson who appreciates art (and women with muscles). Could be I'm wrong and feel free to tell me to buzz of if that's the case.

Anyway, good work and I like it.

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
SSTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

Tiger.....buzz off

kidding.....but do you really think what you did is more appealing than what I did? I feel there's something natural and playful about how I did her mouth, caught her in a moment rather than posed her....and it really isnt the focus of the drawing....

Tasker - the position of the arms the first time does have a more...floaty feeling....but the execution was weak I felt. I might not be done with this drawing after all, I think your draw over would enhance the piece....appreciate you taking the time.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #9
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

Last Power Girl

Spent some time looking at the pelvis and the crest, and just went with it.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:01 AM   #10
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

SSTiger will become famous soon enough

I didn't "do" anything there (just clone-stamped the teeth lines out as a reference to convey the point), it wasn't meant to be some kind of definitive improvement and I wouldn't make an assumption like that. I couldn't ever draw a face if someone held a gun to my head.

Anyway I like your version better, it actually does look like a candid moment where you caught her on camera midair. I still prefer the first floaty-arms but still, some sky in the BG, some inks and colors, and that could be a cover.

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
SSTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

aaaand I changed the face...anything goes...this turned into a great exercise and I appreciate the feedback. Really.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:52 PM   #12
jeffreygraphix

jeffreygraphix is on a distinguished road

Looks really good. I love your crisp pencils. I tend to get a bit wispy with my own line art. It could be because I ink my own stuff but I want to get my pencils as clean as yours are.
jeffrey@jhuntgraphix.com
jeffreygraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #13
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

I actually like different things about the differing versions. There are always things to nitpick, very few perfect drawings out there! It's why I have to eventually stop tinkering even when I am not 100% sure I've done what I meant to do.

As for commentary. I always tell people the same thing I do myself... which is:

When someone gives you advice, ALWAYS listen to it. When five people give you five different bits of advice, ALWAYS listen to it... THEN, do whatever you want. It's up to you to learn and grow IF you want to do something different. If you want to be better, and someone offers advice that nudges that, then DO IT... but don't feel like you have to make everyone happy. That's a losing battle. There will always be something that someone will think you ought to have done different.

I remind myself of this all the time. I have to weigh my own self-critique against input from others. Sometimes I'm too harsh on myself. Other times I try to incorporate suggestions from others that really don't suit my style. We all have to find our own way, and pick up bits of good advice along the way whenever someone offers something that fits what we want to do.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #14
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

Simple works too. If it works without heavy rendering it works, if it doesn't.....?
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:55 AM   #15
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

we do that to other people's art work here?