The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 05-19-2015, 02:31 AM   #31
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Something new and different...

As I said when I first signed on here, my professional background is in Technical Writing and Illustration. I have always doodled, so cartooning comes reasonably naturally to me, but I have a weakness in real-looking human and animal anatomy.

That re-said, I wanted to add something new to my online portfolio (will be making a blog post soon) that showed off more of my technical illustration skills. This was done entirely in Adobe Illustrator.

There are lots of good photos online of Daleks, so it wasn't too hard to find one that I liked. I'm a Doctor Who fan, so I need to tackle the TARDIS at some point, but I wanted a bit of a challenge today so I went for this.

Incidentally, I originally intended to just do this black and white... no color or shading... but parts of it weren't going to look right unless I did some minimal shading. I ended up doing way more of that than I meant to, but stuck with grays except for a bit of blue in the eye-stalk.

I'm pretty satisfied with this. It isn't perfect, but I didn't want to work on it all night, so I forced myself to stop at a good place.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:56 AM   #32
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Continuing the more-detailed technical illustration style work... I was trying to decide on something to draw today, and was watching the NBA playoffs... and got an idea.

So I went hunting for pictures of my Charlotte Hornets arena and found an angle that I liked. I've put a lot of time into this today, but it is still a work-in-progress.

I cheated and used a canned-fill for the floor... I may or may not draw the proper honeycomb design they actually use. I am planning on working on the stands and seats. I may or may not draw the actual net on the goal. Strangely, the net is the hardest thing to do... it was confounding me earlier so I just stopped and moved onto other things.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:24 AM   #33
Stewart Vernon

I finished up the Charlotte Hornets NBA arena piece tonight. I decided to use a solid fill for the court, anything else just distracted from all the other stuff. Also, no net... I've put enough time into this and the net would be so tiny it would be barely visible anyway!

Old 05-27-2015, 02:56 AM   #34
Stewart Vernon

More technical illustration style...

This one is of the North Carolina State University Memorial Bell Tower, located in downtown Raleigh, NC.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #35
Stewart Vernon

And tonight's contribution...

The world-famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, located on the Outer Banks of NC.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #36
charlesartist
Returning Artist

charlesartist is on a distinguished road

Looking through this thread, the Lego stuff looked the most interesting until I saw this last page. What kind of software are you using if you don't mind my asking?
charlesartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #37
Stewart Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesartist View Post
Looking through this thread, the Lego stuff looked the most interesting until I saw this last page. What kind of software are you using if you don't mind my asking?
Everything I've posted so far has been created completely with Adobe Illustrator. I try to do that as much as possible, since keeping everything vector gives me the most flexibility to use (or re-use) later at pretty much any size without having to redraw.

Though I have a Wacom and a Monoprice drawing tablet, I haven't used those to create anything posted so far either. I need to use that more, because it's easier to have varied line weights that way and still end up with vector-based art.

I like the Lego pictures too... the pain is, I think it actually takes me longer to "build" something with the digital Legos than it would with actual Legos!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #38
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Morganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of lightMorganza is a glorious beacon of light

Really like the vector art Stewart! That BB court is great.
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #39
Stewart Vernon

Here's another hybrid... it's closer to a technical illustration than cartooning since I didn't draw the character, just the costume.

One of the most searched parts of my blog is some of the logo work I've done... and the Reverse Flash one comes up high most of the time, so I decided to add something new today, a bust-style illustration of the CW TV show's Reverse Flash costume.

This actually got me to thinking... I wonder if I could do a series of bust-style illustrations of just costumes, without the heroes inside? I might just do that!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #40
Stewart Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza View Post
Really like the vector art Stewart! That BB court is great.
Thank you. That basketball court took me a long time. I meant to keep track of the hours just to see. It took at least twice as long as the Dalek pic did, and I spread the work over a couple of days so I wouldn't burn myself out working on it. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.

If I'm honest, though... I think the lighthouse is probably the thing I'm most proud of out of all the recent posts.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:51 AM   #41
Stewart Vernon

I should be working on today's comic strip post... but instead I spent this evening on another new picture.

This time... it's the 1960s Batman TV show Batmobile!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:00 AM   #42
Stewart Vernon

Because I stayed up later than I meant to finishing this new one tonight... I'm posting it here before I blog about it over the weekend. Kind of a combination of the two most recent ideas in a way.

I already said how much I like the Adam West Batman show... and I've decided to make a series of the empty-costume bust illustrations... so Batgirl was next! Sorry there's no Yvonne Craig in my picture, but you can always imagine her there if you like.

I went down to the waist on this one because I didn't feel like I was doing her costume justice if I didn't include the gloves.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #43
Stewart Vernon

If anyone remembers the "Rob Liefeld Draws Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool" thread from a while back, where tracing was discussed...

I had taken a quick stab at tracing then (see my post there).

I was bored earlier, so I decided to start from scratch and make a better tracing/drawing than I had done before. Arguably, this one is much better but also much less tracing. Instead of trying to trace, I really just drew using more of my technical illustration style. This always works well for clothing, but I'm experimenting a bit lately and finding it is improving my ability to work with faces too.

The upside is higher quality work... the downside is actual tracing would go much faster! The coloring is still a little flat... I don't have the hang of doing full shading for faces/muscles really. I keep trying to get better as that is where more of my weakness is in drawing. Oh, and I realize I went a little happy with the hair highlights... sometimes it looks like a plate of spaghetti dumped on his head instead of hair squiggles.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #44
Stewart Vernon

Because I was dared to do it in Joe Simmons' thread...

Here's my take on Marvel's The Thing:

Whenever I draw human, or semi-human, characters freehand they generally come out in my cartoon style. Realism in drawing people doesn't come instinctively to me in the same way as drawing objects does.

Still, this kind of thing is good practice and stretches my boundaries a little.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #45
Stewart Vernon

Ok... I very literally went back to the drawing board and tried again. I still have my old drawing board from when I was in Engineering Drafting in college and it comes in very handy for this sort of thing (Thing?)...

It's just a pencil sketch, but I took some lessons learned from the previous experience. I was right in thinking that it shapes better to not really have a head outline, but rather use the "outline" as a guide to draw the rocks, slightly overlapping that "boundary". It gives more of the jagged look I wasn't able to achieve before.

It might also point to how more organic a pencil sketch looks than a line-drawing on the computer too!

Anyway, I'm definitely going to ink this later... and might try my hand at coloring it as well. I'll scan each stage if I decide to do that.

edit: added the inked version. I think I like the pencils better, my lines ended up thicker than I wanted... maybe coloring will help.