The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 12-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

Dave Stevens' Betty Page

I am doing some exercises, since that Power Girl pic that I got all cranky about. If I learned anything....its that I have l still have lots to learn. LOTS.

So my mentor, Joe Rubenstein insisted that I study someone I like, study the way they draw women, copy them, roughly mind you, the gesture, overlapping, foreshortening...etc.....15 of them....

Google Dave Stevens, so good.

Of course I had to try to draw one with my new found appreciation for the female figure. I think its fairly successful as a drawing but it doesnt quite capture the arch of her back and the thrust of her hips in the original...

cesare2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

A very tame pose for Betty Page.
Fabric and her legs are rendered really well.
Something (to me) is just missing or off on her face....don't know what.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

Definitely as curvaceous as Bettie Page should, but her she also looks a little---angular? Her shoulder looks a little too squared off and her boob looks a little too----pointy, maybe? Betty is endowed very nicely, but she's all about the soft curves and the round forms; that's what makes her so damn sexy.

Agree with sevans that the fabric of her dress is rendered really, really nice, but her legs feel a little too short and stumpy. Also, having the bottoms of her feet/shoes (evidently high heels) missing is a little disconcerting.

Regarding her face, Bettie LOVED the camera and the camera loved her; perhaps if you had her eyes open and gazing at the viewer with her patented "come hither" look, she would look more like Bettie. Watch her left eyebrow, too, it's creating a weird, quasi-Vulcan effect.

Great effort, though, and Dave Stevens is a great artist to study the female, human form from. He had it nailed down pretty close to perfect...
jeffchris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, sloppy in places, clumsy inking.....and the face, definitely could have used more attention...

her hand, doesnt match the rest of the pic....

thanks!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:35 AM   #5
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

Neat exercise. Awesome results.
Rendered very nice. I agree that there is something about her breast and the way its shaped or attached to her that is off. And her head shape seems slightly off. But overall its very nice

Rob
Old 12-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

thanks Rob
Old 12-09-2017, 04:08 AM   #7
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

SSTiger will become famous soon enough

Nice!

Apart from the hand though, it's not just the shape of the breast that seems off - it's the cloth. The way it seems to get cut off before reaching her sideboob and then starts up again, like it's two different pieces of clothing, which is impossible for a backless gown.

Compare to the Dave Stevens version:

See the difference?

I don't see anything wrong with the hip-thrust and back-arch (and that is a beautiful ass; I don't even care if it sounds weird to say it) but the calves could use some work. While wearing high-heels, women's calf muscles become more pronounced (yes I notice these things - shutupI'mnotapervertdon'tlookatmelikethat) which shows off the shape of their legs more.

Some really nice work overall though.

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
SSTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #8
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

I really screwed up the breast and the dress....and I have no idea how I missed that....it does not look like that in the pencils at all!

HAVE to fix that, and maybe finish the drawing.....feet and all...

thanks
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM   #9
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

REALLY SCREWED UP....abit of an exaggeration there. Good image, not perfect, but damn good.
Old Today, 07:59 AM   #10
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

True, "screwed up" is an exaggeration. It's just that when it comes to seeing flaws in our own work, we're the worst people for the job.

For a comparison, I've lost count of the number of times I've written something, proofread and edited it half a dozen times, only to have someone LATER ON point out a horribly embarrassing typo left behind in the document... total facepalm moment. Happens to everybody.

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #11
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

Hey SS, reading some of your portfolio. Read your story, looks like you got LOTS of feedback.....

thanks for taking the time to comment.
Old Today, 04:56 PM   #12
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

Quote:
Read your story
Which one?

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
Old Today, 06:53 PM   #13
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

someone said something about the hand? I actually like the hand as it it. and the thick legs and calves... and the dress around and about the booty area. its all solid overall... just small tweaks to make it perfect

rob