The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 11-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
Arak-8

Arak-8 is on a distinguished road

My Deviantart fan comics...

Well,i've been meaning to do this since I got here,but I need to further display my art to other fellow artists,and i'm not getting much feedback from them on at DA,so here it is.

https://arak-8.deviantart.com/galler...629/Fan-comics

This is just the fan comics section of my Deviantart gallery. The rest of the gallery is made up of mostly pin ups and sections,but..I always had got into the habit of doing pin ups and sketches instead of actual comic pages and sequential art.

I am however,trying to make up for this fault and am currently doing a new short comic starring Akuma from Capcom's Street Fighter series.

Anyways,feel free to look and give critics and feedback on my comic art,but please..be honest,helpful and nothing negative and/or critical,just helpful feedback and any tips on how to improve my art will be appreciated.

I know it's gonna look a little shabby,but hey i'm still learning,and aren't we all right?

Anyways,the link is back at the top,enjoy.
Arak-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Gav Heryng
Formally Known As Dismas

Gav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to beholdGav Heryng is a splendid one to behold

Ah, man, look at all those pages!

You must have some energy, keeping up the momentum like that is something I struggle with. It's clear you enjoy your work there.

Insofar as an honest critique it would be the standard advice we all need; study anatomy, from life if possible and don't limit yourself to comics. That said, keep reading comics and once you've enjoyed the story go back and study how each page and panel has been designed to guide and focus your eye. Get reference for EVERYTHING. It will slow you down a bit, but your artwork will benefit overall.

Keep sharing!!

Gav
Follow me on MySpace!
Gav Heryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
Arak-8

Finally,and long last,someone said something. And thanks so much for that as well gav,I really and truly appreciate it.

And yes,I understand what you told me,it still needs work on the anatomy and everything else,I try to practice and reference whenever I can on my work.

Thanks again!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Anatomy as already stated.
Watch your proportions. You have the large head, small body thing happening...which works well for cute, fun, light hearted comics, not really for superheroes.

And some variation in line weights might help too. Use thicker lines to help show form, foreground vs background and the light direction.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Arak-8

Duly noted,thank you. So sorry it came out like that though,heh. And I appreciate the comments,I was wondering if anyone ever looked at all.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Comments and crits are hard to get on here. Just how it is some days.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:46 AM   #7
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

You might actually want to look into seriously learning the craft of lettering. There's a bit more to it than just making balloons and writing some text into them.

Here is a cool resource about the subject:
https://www.lettering-daily.com/

And here is a video about using an ames guide, which many letterers use. It can really help you clean up your lettering some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mnlQYSk6TM

Of course, that's if you care about that, though. At the very least it can be an interesting thing to look into, and I think it will help you improve your work.

Also, I think it would be interesting if you inked and colored some of your work (I didn't see any in the link that was). If you haven't, it's a good habit to get into, and like lettering, it can open up a whole new world to you. I used to just do pencil stuff, too, but one day I bought some pots of ink and some dip pens and placed a strict rule upon myself that whatever I drew MUST be inked. Always. And later on, I got a hold of some water color pencils (I started with Derwents but have since switched to Faber-Castell Albrecht Dürer) and said to myself that whatever I drew MUST be inked AND COLORED. Always. I feel those were really good habits to develop for me, and I've gotten much better at being a one man comic operation (which is how I like to be) by employing them. Doesn't really matter if the work winds up not being spectacular at first. The important thing to do is build that discipline where it just becomes the norm for you to do all of this stuff.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arak-8 View Post
Anyways,feel free to look and give critics and feedback on my comic art,but please..be honest,helpful and nothing negative and/or critical,just helpful feedback and any tips on how to improve my art will be appreciated.
Hi, kid! Nothing negative or critical, yet you want helpful feedback?

Tsk. . .tsk. . .tsk. . .

That's a recipe for silence. Critique is like a forge. It can get hot. It can burn! But, ultimately, you will end up with a better edge on your artistic blades.

Your deviantArt gallery is woefully underpopulated. It's not much different from the last time that I visited it.
Old Today, 12:50 AM   #9
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

Im sure no one would discuss your art with the intention of hurting your feelings, but if you want feedback its going to be about what you might want to improve in your work. Everybody's work reflects the time they put into it, and the amount of experience they have. Great artists learn to be great artists. Some have a natural ability that they build on, others have to work a little harder.

It's clear you have a great work ethic, for many that's the hardest thing to do, sit down and draw, as much as you can. From what I see in your work, you are young, but you have a natural ability, build on that. Draw with purpose. Doing pages is fun, and its work, omg so much work, but I think you should study, copy drawings of artists you like. Look carefully at how the human body is put together. There are also rules you can learn, like proportions. Make your figures 7 head tall all the time. IF you dont know what that means, look it up. Find the rules for drawing a face and use them. Get some books on anatomy. Learn to draw. Trace pictures of big guys and pretty girls. Work for it.
cesare2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:04 PM   #10
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare2009 View Post
Im sure no one would discuss your art with the intention of hurting your feelings, but if you want feedback its going to be about what you might want to improve in your work. Everybody's work reflects the time they put into it, and the amount of experience they have. Great artists learn to be great artists. Some have a natural ability that they build on, others have to work a little harder.

It's clear you have a great work ethic, for many that's the hardest thing to do, sit down and draw, as much as you can. From what I see in your work, you are young, but you have a natural ability, build on that. Draw with purpose. Doing pages is fun, and its work, omg so much work, but I think you should study, copy drawings of artists you like. Look carefully at how the human body is put together. There are also rules you can learn, like proportions. Make your figures 7 head tall all the time. IF you dont know what that means, look it up. Find the rules for drawing a face and use them. Get some books on anatomy. Learn to draw. Trace pictures of big guys and pretty girls. Work for it.
this is truth right here.

tho I also would like to know...what kind of art style do you ultimately want to have? like a Jim Lee big superhero style...or a more cartoony look like...I don't know...bill watterson?
what are you going for?
IF its the big superhero powerful figure stuff..there is a lot of learning to be done.. human figures and anatomy...foreshortening..storytelling.. a long list of stuff that we are ALL still learning. it never ends really.

so..what is it that you WANT to do?

rob
Old Today, 07:20 PM   #11
Arak-8

Heh,man what answers here eh? Thank you all for your kind attention,it was appreciated. I'm not afraid of getting hurt feelings Charlie,it's nothing like that,just trying to set a clear understand is all.

As for what I want to do Rob? I'd like to do superheroes and sci fi related concepts,and I would like my art style to be an influence of the following Neal Adams,jack Kirby and even some like rob liefeld and erik Larsen.

I hope that clears it up,but as some of you told me,I need more practice and practice is what I try to do whenever I can. Thanks again.