Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Inker Showcase

Old 02-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Blip Martindale

Blip Martindale is on a distinguished road

Blip Martindale Inking Samples

Hello all.

Please consider visiting my portfolio of inking samples:

http://blipmartindale.deviantart.com/gallery/

I appreciate any comments and am especially interested in paying work.

Thank you.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
wwolf

wwolf is on a distinguished road

Hi Blip,

I went to your deviant art page and did a quick look. Can you put two of your most current works up on the forum here, so when I give you a critique you know which piece I am referring to. If not it makes it too difficult and I have to be switching screens and such.

Thanks,

William
wwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Blip Martindale

Just a bump-post here w/ a link to my inking portfolio:

Thanks to anyone who looks.

Regarding wwolf's request that I post images directly in the thread, I'll have to pass. Every time I try to post any images, or start a new thread, I'm told I don't have the privileges to do so. Odd, but okay, I guess. We'll have to settle for an off-site link.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
Blip Martindale

Bump, new pages added at:

Old 08-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
Blip Martindale

More samples:

Old 08-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
VANDAL
VANDAL

VANDAL will become famous soon enough

Okay, the Superman page is pretty good but not great. I think what bothers me most is that you aren't IMPROVING the original pencils. Give them some LIFE. I am going to link you to a better and more talented penciller just to see if you are up to the challenge.

https://joseluisarts.deviantart.com/
VANDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
Blip Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDAL View Post
Okay, the Superman page is pretty good but not great. I think what bothers me most is that you aren't IMPROVING the original pencils. Give them some LIFE. I am going to link you to a better and more talented penciller just to see if you are up to the challenge.

https://joseluisarts.deviantart.com/
Not familiar with that guy, and all I see at that link is a bunch of pin-ups, no narrative samples. Not interested in that. Also not interested in useless detail or excessive rendering for its own sake. My models are Alex Toth, Steve Rude, Jaime Hernandez, CC Beck, etc. (not that anyone pencils like them anymore.)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Look for some Bruce Timm pages or Darrwyn Cooke, they are clean and well laid out (without excessive details).
Old 08-15-2017, 01:30 AM   #9
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

I keep looking at your inking samples on both the Superman page and the western page (it's amazing how many artists there are on this site that lean towards western stuff; kinda nice to see) and I like what see. After reading that you're a guy who likes uncomplicated, uncluttered and unbusy artwork, it makes me appreciate your inks more.

Granted, as Vandal stated, inkers, more often than not, put as much of their own artwork into some else's pencils, often improving those pencils, but not always. I can think of lots of really great pencilers who can be brought down when saddled by an inker who has zero idea of when enough is enough or when they haven't interjected enough. You straddle that fine line quite nicely, IMHO.

Frank Quitely is a wonderful artist whose pencils really need little improvement, just embellishment to make them pop and your inks do a fine job of that. I'm unfamiliar with the artist on the western page, but the pencils do remind me of some of the early Western comics and your simplistic approach to inking them is able to maintain that feel. Apply a little good, old-fashioned four-color coloring to the pages and they would be very appealing to an old school guy such as myself.
jeffchris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #10
Blip Martindale

Thanks for the comments, all.

I actually already have some Timm and Cooke pages in my "to do" pile. I found it pretty difficult to find good res versions of any of their pages, though. Someone like Toth or Rude, on the other hand, there's plenty floating around.

Quitely is also someone whose work is in already my "to do" pile as well.

Yeah, I really miss four-color printing on newsprint. So much more pleasing to the eye than the grotesque modern processes.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
reyesart

reyesart is on a distinguished road

Blip you have some good work there. Your close with more practice you will gain more control of your tools. It took lots of practice for me to get where I'm at now. Everyone has mentioned your weakness I want to mention the positives, your strengths.

On your deviant art gallery your samples there are much stronger than the two posted here. Your feathering looks great did you use a stencil (french curve)? Your brush work looks good. Don't get discouraged you have talent and are on your way!

My advice is to keep in mind where the light source is. Very your line weights and don't be afraid to try new techniques. Break a line (careful use) add textures. Remember to add depth to the pencil art by varying your line weights. I would recommend working over all type of art styles it will teach you new things. Even though your inking style may not work over them. Each penciler style requires different technique and tools. This will make you work out of your comfort zone and help add new tools and tricks to your arsenal.

Best of luck,
-Jimmy