Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
pi0trov
Peter Foglesong

pi0trov is a jewel in the roughpi0trov is a jewel in the roughpi0trov is a jewel in the rough

Another newbie looking for wisdom...

I'm mainly an artist, and have dipped my toes into lettering as I've started working on my own projects, but this is the first thing I'm lettering for someone else - it's for a pitch a friend of mine is working on. I've only done these two pages as samples for him so far, so I figured it'd be good to post them up while I'm waiting for the rest of the art files and see what kind of advice I can get from the talented folks around here who actually know what they're doing (since I obviously don't yet...).

Thanks!

Blogger | MySpace | deviantArt
pi0trov is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
t_orzechowski
Old School student

t_orzechowski will become famous soon enought_orzechowski will become famous soon enough

Your work on Page 1 is okay overall, since the artist centered everything rather than leaving much negative space for the text.

page 2:
panel 1: you might want to move the balloon to the right a bit, and uncover a portion of that skull thing.

panel 2: balloon 1 ought to be taller, rather than wide, so that it’s off her hair. Likewise, balloon 2 could be tall rather than wide, to show more of the skull thing. It could be at panel left. That pointer running up her finger looks painful!

panel 3: push the balloon to the left somewhat. May as exploit the cleavage.

panel 4: if balloon 2 were tall rather than wide, you wouldn’t need to cover the fun & fetishy chain feature. It's the visual bit that we care about... well, I do, anyway.
t_orzechowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
pi0trov
Peter Foglesong

pi0trov is a jewel in the roughpi0trov is a jewel in the roughpi0trov is a jewel in the rough

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the tips, and glad to hear things don't look too horrible.

Blogger | MySpace | deviantArt
pi0trov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
Comics Commando

Comics Commando has a spectacular aura aboutComics Commando has a spectacular aura about

You're in pretty good shape. As an artist, you're using your compositional skills well--whereas others who attempt lettering just get it all wrong off the bat...like they've never even SEEN a comic book.

Whatever bumps I see here, you'll probably work out in your next ten pages or so.

That being said, you should give up lettering immediately and hire me.

Best,

Kurt Hathaway
Cartoon Balloons Studio

Lettering / Logos / Fonts / Pre-Press / Page Design / Motion Graphics
for Print or Web / Entertainment, Advertising or Education!

My AIM screen name: Kurt Hathaway
contact me anytime

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGevjPkZso
Comics Commando is offline   Reply With Quote