The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 06-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #46
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

I was right... coloring helped.

It looks better again. If I had it all to do over, I still would make the inking thinner, but the coloring helped to add a little depth back.

FYI, coloring was done with colored pencils... so this whole Thing was done the old-fashioned way.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #47
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

This whole Thing reminded me... I made a post on my blog last year to discuss some process stuff entitled How to Draw Other Characters in Your Style. In it, I walked through the steps of finding reference material, making a "bad" sketch, then a final drawing, and then choosing to scan and re-render that digitally.

Please read the blog post if you want the details... but here are the images I posted to illustrate the process of drawing Bart Simpson and Stewie Griffin.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #48
Stewart Vernon

Because I didn't want to get sucked into neverending social and political arguments of depression... I made a general political cartoon and posted to my blog late last night.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #49
Stewart Vernon

Because I needed something a little better than the fuzzy photograph I had of myself, and also because I have cut my hair and shaved since the last photo of me was taken anyway...

Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #50
Stewart Vernon

Blame Joe Simmons again... so I drew a Clone Trooper helmet...

Just working pencil/sharpie on paper... used a different sharpie for the ink this time to get thinner lines. I think that worked better. I drew this on a silver-age size backing board. I meant to draw smaller so I could do a little of the shoulders, but I misjudged and it was too late... so just the head got drawn.

This one is done as-is... I could probably do a little shading if I wanted but I think I want to leave this one where it is.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #51
Stewart Vernon

Because absolutely nobody demanded it... Boba Fett!

I've realized something... as I've drawn more old-school lately... that I have a tendency to draw things shorter/fatter than I mean to do... and I'm usually too far along to fix them.

When I'm drawing in the computer I think I do the same thing, but it's much easier to tweak in-progress so I can fix the overall dimensions before I go into the details.

I need to work on this... The Thing wasn't so obviously smushed, it could have been a style choice even though it wasn't... My Clone Trooper helmet was a little smushed... but Boba Fett here is the most smushed of them all... completely unintentionally!
Old 07-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #52
Stewart Vernon

Something Rick and Morty this way comes...

It's a work-in-progress.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #53
Stewart Vernon

And it's finished... I am way out of practice with hand-lettering, so I underestimated my font size... so I had to scrap some dialog AND it killed a lot of background stuff I wanted to draw.

The lesson? Do lettering in the computer from now on! I'm way better at doing the computer lettering than I am hand-lettering... and it's a whole lot easier to fix things that way too.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #54
Stewart Vernon

Rick... the final frontier... this is the end of this Mortyfying experience...

For anyone who ever said "Inkers are just tracers, they don't draw..." I can draw, but my pencils are almost always WAY better than my inking. I just don't have as good of a handle on that as I'd like... but I can do a better job of finishing with the computer.

So, I think what I need to be doing more of is... sketching with pencil to get my layouts and character work done... scan that, then draw it in Illustrator (or whatever) where I can more easily fix any goofs. The lettering also is much easier and better looking on the computer too.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #55
Stewart Vernon

Looking at starting to collect my 'Sects web comic into a traditional comic book for digital and possible print (down the road) sales... Been playing with page layouts, but took a break from that to take a stab at a possible first issue cover:

Old 07-30-2015, 05:34 AM   #56
Stewart Vernon

Because... who doesn't like Speed Buggy?

He's Scooby-Doo, basically, if he were a car instead of a dog!
Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #57
Stewart Vernon

Another fond memory from my youth... Captain Caaaavemaaaaaaaaaannn!

Below is my paper sketch of Captain Caveman. You can see that I tweaked/fixed a few things in my final digital rendering.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:11 AM   #58
Stewart Vernon

More Hanna-Barbera favorites...

The Jetsons!

The sketch has some problems... but it really exists to get my layouts down for the digital work. I have George and most of the ship done already digitally... will post the final version of that in a day or two whenever I get it finished.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #59
Stewart Vernon

And... I believe I am finished with this one today. The Jetsons, vector-rendered and in color now!

Old 08-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #60
Stewart Vernon

A sneak peek at something I just started today...

You might say... something is... a foot!