Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 03-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Exclamation Interesting traditional idea for coloring sequential page

Hi DW folks,
I created this sample way back in the late 90's when Rob Leifield's on the X-Force work was very popular and I also wanted to do a Leifield's copy. At the time or another, I played with coloring a page using poster colors on xerox copy of the inked page. So the colors actually stayed on top of the inked page as opposed to blending. After which I printed the xerox inked page on on an overlay sheet called acetate (see through plastic sheet with only the black ink showing) use for projection purpose.

So I laid the acetate on top of the colored page and I can see the full colored page of the sample. It's not perfect as the fit is not 100% the same. For years I have saved this work in the box and only found it recently while going through my stuff. I was going to throw it out since I don't need it now with the computer and digital coloring is the new thing.

Then I got an idea and did a test using my photo editor utilizing the same principle as overlaying. I scanned the colored page and the inked page and put them together. I think if you want to do your own coloring but you don't know how to use digital stuff, this you can do easy as long as you have a basic know how of coloring.

Here's the outcome. Please see the images progression below.

pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Cool. Back on the day I used to work as assistant for a comics artist who did use a very similar technique of coloring with acetate overlays. I was never able to do so. The cost of acetate plus the cost of using of a Xerox machine for copy-imprint the inks on acetate was extremely expensive for my budget.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

If I were to go for that type of look, I would just use markers. Or is this technique somehow more beneficial?
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #4
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I have done the budget version of this myself. Ages ago.
Buy some tracing paper, get markers that won't smudge etc on the smooth surface.
Use markers on the reverse side of the tracing paper. No chance of damaging the inks at all then.
And then I scanned them (my scanner having the white backing plate built in).

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

If ink smudging is the concern with markers, then I would just do the coloring phase before the inking phase. That's actually what I do when I use markers.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
Cool. Back on the day I used to work as assistant for a comics artist who did use a very similar technique of coloring with acetate overlays. I was never able to do so. The cost of acetate plus the cost of using of a Xerox machine for copy-imprint the inks on acetate was extremely expensive for my budget.
Yes, that's true. Back then, acetate sheets are so expensive and mostly big offices used them for presentations etc. Now they use Powerpoint. Time's changed.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Allen View Post
If I were to go for that type of look, I would just use markers. Or is this technique somehow more beneficial?
Yes, you can use copics nowadays or any new markers that simulate watercolor wash. Back then that's how they do it.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans View Post
I have done the budget version of this myself. Ages ago.
Buy some tracing paper, get markers that won't smudge etc on the smooth surface.
Use markers on the reverse side of the tracing paper. No chance of damaging the inks at all then.
And then I scanned them (my scanner having the white backing plate built in).
I did something like that back in early 80s for architectural rendering. That was the style.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Allen View Post
If ink smudging is the concern with markers, then I would just do the coloring phase before the inking phase. That's actually what I do when I use markers.
I think if you use inkjet as oppose to laserjet prints, then you'd have the smudges when you slap in the marker. Because markers has some chemical that would blend on inkjet inks. I used markers on my laser print and it didn't smudge.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

Here's now a cover I used copic markers. The outcome was really subtle. It's not your typical digital colors but it gives that traditional feel to it.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I approve of this cover.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #12
theman_fayth
Writer / Creator

theman_fayth is on a distinguished road

This looks fantastic, Dario!
theman_fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:26 AM   #13
theman_fayth
Writer / Creator

theman_fayth is on a distinguished road

Experimenting with different approaches while making comics, it elevates the art medium. It doesn't always work but in this case it did.

Another approach would be to either do traditional inks and have them scanned, or work digital while creating the inks. Then take them to a print shop and have them print them on watercolor paper. The great thing about this method is that one never jeopardizes the lineart because if a mistake is made, one can always print the line art again.

Below is a page from one of my stories where I utilized this method.
(Granted, there is a little of digital airbrush...but the rest is traditional gouache)

facebook
instagram
theman_fayth is offline   Reply With Quote