Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 12-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #16
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDuke View Post
Been thinking about doing this for Digital Webbing Live, the YouTube channel.
That would be awesome
Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #17
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brian deberry View Post
A workshop. Similar to what Rob did with the Hellboy stuff. None of that Kickstarter crap or public domain stuff.

Poll together a hero and a theme.
Bring together a team.
Write. Draw. Letter. Have fun.
I just wanted the work that so many people put in to be able to be seen and utilized anywhere and everywhere a person wanted to take it. I know that for me, if a project has a chance of being seen..SOMEwhere...like a finished lettered project...that reads as a complete and whole story, im MUCH more interested in giving my all to the project. but being serious, if its just a few of us just putting something together just for the hell of it with no real plan...then..why would I care as much?
I will admit that that is basically what the xmen projects were but we still pulled together quite the group with a LOT of solid work. and the Hellboy thing much more so, as it turned into a book that could actually be read and had a definitive beginning, middle and end. and that was really done just for the hell of it. so I don't know what it was made people interested but what I DO know..based on my experience, is that it needs to be a solid an simple enough premise that anyone can get in on AND it absolutely MUST have someone commited to seeing it thru to the end as a "project manager" or sorts.. handing out "assignments" and recruiting creators and posting consistently to keep peoples interest peaked with a definitive GOAL we are working towards. if its just us saying "hey...lets all do this" and then its left to us all just doing whatever we want whenever want with no "push", nothing will happen.

sorry..im just rambling here..streaming my thoughts as they come. im just completely convinced that we have a massive resource here.. those xmen and hellboy projects showed that when things run right and gel right, we actually CAN produce a finished book that actually looks pretty damn good. what was the hellboy book page count...80 or so? we can make comics here...decent ones..we have all the talent needed right here.

it just has to be focused properly. and a goal to push for brings all the boys to the yard so to speak. the DWP seems to excite people being that its a thing that actually has a name attached to it that the industry knows and gets us all a chance to put something out there that will be seen by more readers than any of us would have a chance to otherwise(even if that number is still small). its a shame that, based on Ed's post up there, that it became kind of a bitch with creators giving him shit. some people get picked. some don't.

heres what I think. I know another small publisher that's putting out tons of books with his small press imprint. utilizing public domain characters and their own stuff. tons of books available to digital release and some print. most as small as 8 page stories. BUT..im my opinion, the problem is that the stuff is SO BORING. its ALL cliché standard superhero fare.. or pulp hero stuff..but everything is stuff ive seen before..done better(especially most of the art). all these people are giving their all..doing their best. but its all completely generic.

I want to see creators bust out and be able to do some indie stuff that pushes boundries. not just safe all ages boring super hero stuff. I would like a format that lets us do something different. dark. edgy. sexy. DWP "dark" or DWP "mature".
kids don't read comics. lets write some stuff that's to the audience that's actually out there and will read this stuff. something new and different unique indie creator stuff with no limits(well, almost none). THATS what id be interested in and put MY best efforts into.
a
anyway..ill chime out now.... sorry.. haha.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
Facundo Ezequiel
Eternal Apprentice

Facundo Ezequiel is on a distinguished road

All of the above.

I like what everyone is saying and I really want to see what kind of content comes out of the YouTube channel, I'm already subscribed with that bell thing on and all.

Everyone these days seem to have a podcast, and for me that's definitely a must for when I'm working and I can't take the time to look at the heads talking. Even if it's a monthly thing it would be great to hear the DW perspective on things like workflow, comic book formats, genres, etc. It would be wonderful to go as technical as possible with every subject and having guests that can expand on it with real life examples of how everything works.

Anyone here uses Discord? It's great for the community stuff like having silly conversations through chat or with voice in real time, sharing images, videos and all of that. The forum is great for the timeless stuff and to have discussions stored neatly, but I think for quick conversations and the not so serious stuff Discord is great.

I want DW to gain more ground again, so we should be doing what everyone is doing and then some.
Facundo Ezequiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #19
PixelisedMind
Andy

PixelisedMind is on a distinguished road

Increasing the user base is important, and these days content is key for doing that. A balance between resource, entertainment and social space.

Articles, interviews catered towards new creators and those already involved in the industry would be great, but require staff (you may have this option, I don't know). Video casts and video workshops and tutorials may be too resource heavy right away. I believe that the main resource is user generated on the forum though, as it has been in the past, and you wouldn't require these other things with a healthier population.

I personally think that Podcasts are a strong way to go, and less involved when it comes to creating (writing, editing, etc). They're a good way to talk shop in a more casual manner, you can cover a whole range of discussions linked to comics that could be accompanied by simple related articles or transcripts, or a dedicated forum post for listeners/creators old and new to talk it over, especially if those involved in the episode take part (possibly with an Ask Me Anything). It's a good way to drive that niche traffic to the forums.

It'd be nice to get a bunch of regular guests with enough experience to really delve into the business and the creative side, but also perhaps nice to see something from DW alumni, a spotlight show or a discussion on how they've progressed due to (or in part because of) their use of the website. It's on topic, but drives attention to the website and forum.

If it helps bring traffic back, then it hopefully opens up talent that can get involved with DWP, which in itself brings back attention to the forum, but also offers a lot of conversation for a podcast.
PixelisedMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #20
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Just my extra 2 cents...don't do the rambling epic 2 hour videos or podcasts.

You can show some real time etc, but please edit the 'filler'.
Unless your Frank Frazetta I don't need to see it all.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #21
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

oooohhh Digital Webbing podcast.

I want this more than anything!
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #22
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul brian deberry View Post
oooohhh Digital Webbing podcast.

I want this more than anything!
I'm really having a tough time getting people involved with this. Are you up for it, Paul? Pick a bunch of times and send me a PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #23
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

That seems crazy.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #24
B-McKinley

B-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura about

I've been wondering if there is a comic-equivalent to NaNoWriMo. I know about 24-Hour-Comic Day, but it's just a little too all or nothing. I think there's probably a space for something slower paced. And it naturally connects both to a sequence of weekly (daily?) challenges and potential anthologies.

The other thing that I can't find yet is a good place for accountability partnering (that isn't an overloaded social network). The "what did you do this week" thread is pretty close to that idea, but I almost imagine it like an informal help wanted area.
B-McKinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #25
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-McKinley View Post
I've been wondering if there is a comic-equivalent to NaNoWriMo. I know about 24-Hour-Comic Day, but it's just a little too all or nothing. I think there's probably a space for something slower paced. And it naturally connects both to a sequence of weekly (daily?) challenges and potential anthologies.

The other thing that I can't find yet is a good place for accountability partnering (that isn't an overloaded social network). The "what did you do this week" thread is pretty close to that idea, but I almost imagine it like an informal help wanted area.
I'm not sure what NaNoWriMo is.
The other thing you mention sounds more like blog-like posts?
Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #26
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

After rereading some of these posts, I second the idea from Rob about a project with a more mature theme.

He is correct, comics are for adults now. Xbox and internet are for the kids.
We need an overall goal to work towards...that we can then create 'how to' or 'work in progress' content.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #27
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12013 View Post
I want to see creators bust out and be able to do some indie stuff that pushes boundries. not just safe all ages boring super hero stuff. I would like a format that lets us do something different. dark. edgy. sexy. DWP "dark" or DWP "mature".
kids don't read comics. lets write some stuff that's to the audience that's actually out there and will read this stuff. something new and different unique indie creator stuff with no limits(well, almost none). THATS what id be interested in and put MY best efforts into.
I love this idea. In my mind the problem is that so many creators think 'mature/edgy/sexy' means you just have to throw in a bunch of f-bombs, gore, and gratuitous t&a. To me that stuff isn't mature, it's the opposite.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #28
eDuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans View Post
After rereading some of these posts, I second the idea from Rob about a project with a more mature theme.

He is correct, comics are for adults now. Xbox and internet are for the kids.
We need an overall goal to work towards...that we can then create 'how to' or 'work in progress' content.
I don't agree with this. Kids (under the age of 18) still read comics which is why you don't see all publishers switch everything to a mature only rating. Comics can still be aimed at mature readers without labeling them mature comics.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #29
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

I really like the idea of bringing back DWP! It's been awhile that we see new generation of DWP projects here. After the later years of 2000, I've seen the changes of materials around and across comics scenes and the coming age of digital comics like comixology. Comics have evolved into a modern age main stream I think. Marvel Comics, DC and Dark Horse and other big names that came about have changed so much, that even Jim Lee's style now is different (my opinion). I think it's time that we follow and join the change. Maybe a new kind of DWP.

What I want to add here is this: why don't we have a show case of different stories in different genre threads? We would have horror, sci-fi, hard-boiled and fantasy etc. Any team would produce their best product and showcase only 3-4 pages including a mock cover with a short synopsis. Each entry would be 6-8 pages and up to maximum 10 pages. All entries would be inked and colored except lettering which could be optional too. You, Eduke, would have your editing team to look through and approved any entry/ies to be included in the DWP issues for the line up submissions to Comixology.

Just an idea...
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #30
B-McKinley

B-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura aboutB-McKinley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDuke View Post
I'm not sure what NaNoWriMo is.
The other thing you mention sounds more like blog-like posts?
NaNoWriMo is national novel writing month (November). People challenge themselves to write 50K words of a novel in one month. After writing it down, it occurred to me that in theory comics are usually created in one month, but in practice it takes longer than that for a lot of people professional and otherwise.

Accountability coaching/partners is a concept where you have a peer who you check in with on a regular (often weekly) basis. You usually each set goals and then at the next appointment discuss your success (or not) in reaching the goal. It's not so much about critiquing, as it is about having someone hold you accountable so you have a stronger incentive to keep making progress. Usually it's set up as a mutual arrangement.
B-McKinley is offline   Reply With Quote