Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 01-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #31
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandayboss View Post
Comics have evolved into a modern age main stream I think. Marvel Comics, DC and Dark Horse and other big names that came about have changed so much, that even Jim Lee's style now is different (my opinion). I think it's time that we follow and join the change. Maybe a new kind of DWP.
I'm probably the last guy on earth who would be good for this type of book. I'm just not a fan of new mainstream comics. I get that there are lots of people out there that love the ultra-realistic style of art we're seeing nowadays (and I'm not saying it's bad) but I lean more towards the stylistic type of art from older comics.

As far as DWP is concerned, I did a lot of thinking on this because I do want to bring it back, but I want to avoid all the bad experiences and financial burden I had with it in its first go. I love the idea of creator-owned and I believe everyone should focus on getting their ideas out there. Nowadays we're at a point where people can just post their creations online or do print-on-demand, I don't think there's a need for a collaborative anthology like DWP was.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #32
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDuke View Post
I'm probably the last guy on earth who would be good for this type of book. I'm just not a fan of new mainstream comics. I get that there are lots of people out there that love the ultra-realistic style of art we're seeing nowadays (and I'm not saying it's bad) but I lean more towards the stylistic type of art from older comics.

As far as DWP is concerned, I did a lot of thinking on this because I do want to bring it back, but I want to avoid all the bad experiences and financial burden I had with it in its first go. I love the idea of creator-owned and I believe everyone should focus on getting their ideas out there. Nowadays we're at a point where people can just post their creations online or do print-on-demand, I don't think there's a need for a collaborative anthology like DWP was.
so how about a book where people submit their already completed works... 8-10 pages max, adheres to your guidelines of acceptable content.. etc..etc..
Old 01-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #33
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12013 View Post
so how about a book where people submit their already completed works... 8-10 pages max, adheres to your guidelines of acceptable content.. etc..etc..

That's a good way to get work that isn't usable.

It should be something that's a theme or whatever that's agreed upon, and then stories are pitched, with no more than a page of sample artwork from the prospective artist. This way content starts being curated right away, and creators aren't producing work that won't get published because they aren't yet ready.

I also suggest that there's only one letterer for the entire book. Yes, it sucks, but this will stop the quality from being wildly different from story to story in a single book. (It will also lighten my load a little when it comes to editing.) We can change up the letterer from issue to issue, but not from story to story.

Just an idea.
-Steven
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #34
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
That's a good way to get work that isn't usable.

It should be something that's a theme or whatever that's agreed upon, and then stories are pitched, with no more than a page of sample artwork from the prospective artist. This way content starts being curated right away, and creators aren't producing work that won't get published because they aren't yet ready.

I also suggest that there's only one letterer for the entire book. Yes, it sucks, but this will stop the quality from being wildly different from story to story in a single book. (It will also lighten my load a little when it comes to editing.) We can change up the letterer from issue to issue, but not from story to story.

Just an idea.
-Steven
I agree with this. Less talk and more walk. How to make comics or podcasts about comics we can find a lot at yutubey's , websites & blogs.
We are here for comics making. Lets make comics.
We can vote for what genre or theme and start working the scripts and artwork from there. As we did already.

For avoiding former bad experiences and financial burden, such material could be published later on some Comixology place or whatsoever.
And see what happen.

If the material works well, maybe eDuke or somebody else would like bring the whole book to printed format.

My two cents.

https://www.deviantart.com/savideduardo/gallery/
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #35
NatMatt
Are we having fun yet?

NatMatt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
I agree with this. Less talk and more walk. How to make comics or podcasts about comics we can find a lot at yutubey's , websites & blogs.
We are here for comics making. Lets make comics.
We can vote for what genre or theme and start working the scripts and artwork from there. As we did already.

For avoiding former bad experiences and financial burden, such material could be published later on some Comixology place or whatsoever.
And see what happen.

If the material works well, maybe eDuke or somebody else would like bring the whole book to printed format.

My two cents.
If I could offer my two cents, I'd say we should consider going with a single theme for DWP (if we're moving forward with it of course). Something genre related like horror or Sci-fi, like what Alterna's IF anthology does every year. It keeps things consistent and doesn't result in a whole mesh of random stories collected into a single anthology. Also, while I don't totally agree with the idea of a single letterers I think it would probably be a good idea to have a small select handful of letterers and colorists to avoid things from getting too muddled. Last thing, I think it would be best if it's distributed through Comixology and 100% digital. As great as it would be to see it on print, I feel this would help ease some of the financial burden.

Again, these are just my two cents on the matter. Like many artists here, I really want to see DWP return. Rob said it best, we all want to get published and see our work get recognition. I personally want something like DWP to succeed even if I don't get to be apart of it. Let's keep these ideas coming and hopefully we can come to some type of compromise that gets DWP back on print.
NatMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #36
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatMatt View Post
If I could offer my two cents, I'd say we should consider going with a single theme for DWP (if we're moving forward with it of course). Something genre related like horror or Sci-fi, like what Alterna's IF anthology does every year. It keeps things consistent and doesn't result in a whole mesh of random stories collected into a single anthology. Also, while I don't totally agree with the idea of a single letterers I think it would probably be a good idea to have a small select handful of letterers and colorists to avoid things from getting too muddled. Last thing, I think it would be best if it's distributed through Comixology and 100% digital. As great as it would be to see it on print, I feel this would help ease some of the financial burden.

Again, these are just my two cents on the matter. Like many artists here, I really want to see DWP return. Rob said it best, we all want to get published and see our work get recognition. I personally want something like DWP to succeed even if I don't get to be apart of it. Let's keep these ideas coming and hopefully we can come to some type of compromise that gets DWP back on print.
Here are my thoughts; going all digital is something anyone can do on their own by utilizing a website or forum. Also, even though ComiXology does eliminate printing costs, there's still quarterly accounting that someone has to do and I would pity the person that has to figure out how much each contributor gets and ultimately be the one filing taxes on said sales. There's just too many things going against it.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #37
pandayboss
Illustrious Chap

pandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of lightpandayboss is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Here are my thoughts; going all digital is something anyone can do on their own by utilizing a website or forum. Also, even though ComiXology does eliminate printing costs, there's still quarterly accounting that someone has to do and I would pity the person that has to figure out how much each contributor gets and ultimately be the one filing taxes on said sales. There's just too many things going against it.
I understand where you're coming from Eduke. Yup, it's very involved and time & money consuming and unsure of any revenue coming back.

Just a thought:

How about hosting an online comics here in DW to read for FREE with an option to buy the printed version through IndyPlanet or something. This way, you don't need to worry about the product and the sales if there is. It will also build up your site with up and coming creators and their comics. Same as the thread, someone would look at the content and would give the go ahead for upload. The upload will be for just to sample the comics, maybe 6-10 pages max.
pandayboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #38
JoieSimmons
Son of A Biscuit.

JoieSimmons has a spectacular aura aboutJoieSimmons has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Not much to do but evolve somehow.
Keep the existing threads but make a showcase thread that you and some admins curate. Stuff that gets some buzz. Find a way to have a thread that can post to Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and draws it back here and the job boards. Like a DW Showcase thread that blasts to the entire internet.

Not so much a popularity contest by admins, but stuff that's genuinely gaining interest on the boards. Build up the interaction if that's even possible anymore.
http://stupendodog.blogspot.com/
JoieSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #39
eDuke

@Dario -- I like the idea of hosting online comics that this community can participate in. Almost like what we just did with the Hellboy collaboration but we can do it like a comic strip or something so creators won't feel overwhelmed with producing 6-10 pagers.

@Joie -- Believe me, I've been thinking of a way to do this. I'd like to make it look a little more elaborate than how the current forum system showcases it tho. I think I know of a way to do it, but it'll require some Wordpress tweaking and that's my problem right now, I'm a Wordpress newbie.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #40
JoieSimmons
Son of A Biscuit.

JoieSimmons has a spectacular aura aboutJoieSimmons has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
@Dario -- I like the idea of hosting online comics that this community can participate in. Almost like what we just did with the Hellboy collaboration but we can do it like a comic strip or something so creators won't feel overwhelmed with producing 6-10 pagers.

@Joie -- Believe me, I've been thinking of a way to do this. I'd like to make it look a little more elaborate than how the current forum system showcases it tho. I think I know of a way to do it, but it'll require some Wordpress tweaking and that's my problem right now, I'm a Wordpress newbie.
If you get that far (I know nothing about WordPress) look at IFTTT to automate everything across the entire internet.
http://stupendodog.blogspot.com/
JoieSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #41
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Quote:
Wordpress is a great tool, and has some nice comic plugins for displaying pages, etc. Be careful, though. Wordpress is notoriously prone to security issues. If you host a WP site you have to stay on top of patching, and making sure the WP patches don't break your plugins, etc. It can be a real pain...
Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #42
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

So,...then...what?

https://www.deviantart.com/savideduardo/gallery/
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #43
eDuke

@Joie -- what's IFTTT?

@Bishop -- I have it set to do automatic updates and since I'm not really running anything, it should stay unbroken.

@Scribbly -- I'm thinking...
Old 01-24-2019, 05:39 PM   #44
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

so is the question how to create/get the content of the project or how to present/offer the content when its all put together? or both?

Rob
Old 01-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #45
eDuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12013 View Post
so is the question how to create/get the content of the project or how to present/offer the content when its all put together? or both?
I think I'm just going to publish the strips manually. I know html decent enough so it'll just be easier for me to create web pages as I need them instead of learning Wordpress.

So what I'm going to do is talk this over with a buddy of mine and flesh out some sort of story which other creators can just continue if they want. It'll be themed and anthology style so different segments can be placed together wherever. This will avoid any delays if a team drops the ball.

More details as they unfold...