Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 03-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
vinbat

vinbat is on a distinguished road

What does Image mean by a "cover mock up?"

Quote:
A cover mock-up—this lets us know whether or not you understand the market and gives us a good barometer on your design sense. With creator approval, this may go through a redesign if we decide to acquire your project.
The above quote is what Image is asking for as a part of submissions. I've seen this particular phrasing with a few different publishers for submission guidelines.

Does a mock up mean a sketch of the cover art with exact placings of the title/issue number/credits/etc? Or does it mean a finalized, ready to go cover that is photoshoped onto a book - making a "mock up" image of what your final print comic would look like? The wording about looking for design sense seems to imply the sketch version?

It seems like cover art is the most fluid of all the elements, what publishers are most ready to scrap and change (or even do themselves), so I'm hesitant to put what would be a significant part of my budget towards a cover that may never get used.
vinbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

well im not a 100% sure but I always took it to mean a finished cover with logo and all those elements on it as well. to make sure your logo is readable and not some horrible nonsense. and to see how your artists drawing skills are in the world of cover design. id imagine they can get what they need from just a black and white image but, if you have a colorist, that's probably better.

that's how ive always taken that information.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
eDuke

eDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to beholdeDuke is a splendid one to behold

Yes, they want a complete cover as you see it for your comic book in full color. Have everything on there including the logo. Remember to leave room for the Image logo without actually putting the Image logo on there.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I would put the extra work in and show a finished piece.
Mock ups usually mean sketch like layouts, but I agree with the other guys here.
Pretty sure they are after the overall look and style that your aiming for.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Pete Tha Creep

Pete Tha Creep is on a distinguished road

Here you can find a decent mockup as a psd file:

https://www.psdcovers.com/comicbook007/

A mockup in design means the finished product in its natural habitat, so lying on a counter or coffeetable. The link above includes only the cover without a background. You can see a lot of nice mockups in comic book kickstarters, usually the dont have the print version but nice mockups of their rewards.

There are a ton pf ways to do a mockup and a professional looking one with not only one, but two or three nice shots of the product really gives a feel how the finished product will look. Be sure to include a closeup and interesting angles. It can be overdone but will set your application apart from the rest.

Another nice version, with background:
Pete Tha Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
vinbat

vinbat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for weighing in everyone! I will get a nice cover completed before sending anywhere.
vinbat is offline   Reply With Quote