Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 05-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
morbuis28

morbuis28 is on a distinguished road

Collaboration Issues

Hi everyone, I'm a writer and I'm currently looking for some advice as I'm having difficulties with my artist. They are unhappy with multiple revisions I have sent them after they didn't change all I asked first time round and want me to start drawing rough outline of panels to save them time. We have created over fifteen pages (some have different art styles as they changed art style without telling me so I had to adapt) and few pages just need lettering but they now don't want to work with me due to above. I have spent over 700 dollars and have a contract with them so if they won't honour that I don't know how I can get money back as they donít live in the same country as me. I donít think I can get another artist to finish book as I would then have three different art styles and not even sequential as heís drawn pages 1-9 and 23-25 as we focused on certain pages first for kickstarter. Any advice would be great.
morbuis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Changing art styles in one story....not a done thing. Bad thing for an artist to do.

Asking for panel layouts to save time and confusion and revisions.... nothing wrong with that. Good thing for an artist to do since you are having problems with it.

I don't know all the details, but so far you are both making valid points.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

Ugh, that sounds like a disaster. There doesn't seem like a simple solution. Other than the nuclear one. Cutting your guy loose.

I would take the pages created. If you feel they are strong enough. Create an IndieGoGo campaign. Explain precisely what your goal is and what happened? You had a falling out with an artist and need to bring on a new art team to correct and finish the book.

Or depending on the story..? Use the pages needed to be drawn as a flashback and the pages completed as the story Then move forward with the new artist.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
Facundo Ezequiel
Eternal Apprentice

Facundo Ezequiel is on a distinguished road

If the both of you are unhappy then you should find a new artist that is compatible with you and if he can adapt his style to fit the previous artist the better, but it will cost money, there's no way around it.
Facundo Ezequiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

yeah I would just look for new artist. I bet with the variety of talent around here you could probably find a compatible artist. It is a drag but there maybe a solution.
Maybe the new artist could use the old pages as pencils and reink them which might help even out the style.
good luck
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnake View Post
yeah I would just look for new artist. I bet with the variety of talent around here you could probably find a compatible artist. It is a drag but there maybe a solution.
Maybe the new artist could use the old pages as pencils and reink them which might help even out the style.
good luck
I did work for a guy who was on similar situation. I did trace and adjust all the pages and panels that were already made by the other artist to his requests and made new full pages to complete the project. He was happy. Me, not that much. I preferred work everything from scratch but these were too many pages to even think about it. Job done.

https://www.deviantart.com/savideduardo
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
vinbat

vinbat is on a distinguished road

Was this an issue throughout or is it something that popped up recently?

Are you writing super descriptive panels or are you giving your artist a bunch of space for interpretation? Multiple revisions in that latter scenario have the potential to be very frustrating for an artist. Or, if you are clear on what it should look like and the artist isn't meeting that, you have a style conflict. If you are getting a page back at this point of the process and are way off on even the basic outline of the panels, it sounds like you two shouldn't be working together.

As others have said, finding a new artist who can redo some things may be the only way to fix this. But to avoid the same situation, make sure you are compatible with the new artist.

When I started working on my book, the artist and I had extensive conversations about our work process, then the style and look of the world we would be making. Before she even picked up her pen, both of us knew exactly what to expect. Spent some more time on the first couple pages and now at this point, revisions are barely necessary.

Sometimes you can do everything right and the artist/writer is just a flake, it happens, but preparing as much as possible will minimize the risk.

Hopefully you can find someone to work with who can imitate the pages you already have. Or, since you are planning on kickstarting, maybe redo about 5 pages with the new art and see if you can raise enough to start over?

Making almost half the book before the kickstarter seems unusual, at that point people would usually just complete it and kickstart the printing only. 5 pages is pretty standard pitch package size
vinbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
ld-airgrafix

ld-airgrafix has a spectacular aura aboutld-airgrafix has a spectacular aura about

Honestly, if he/she changed his/her style few pages later, thats because he/she is tracing.