The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > General > Video Games

Old 03-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #31
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Buckyrig has disabled reputation

Gotten maybe 8 or 10 hours in.

And, yeah, it's a mixed bag. The dialogue is substandard. Maybe not straight up when compared to the previous games (the dialogue was good by video game standards, not necessarily good in a broader sense), but feels like a lot of forced banter.

And flirt options show up in the first conversations with many characters . . . which leads me to believe they put way too much time into that aspect of the game. Which yeah, feeds into the bits of fanfictiony feel to things sometimes. Too much unearned camaraderie bullshit early on. Bioware is maybe too responsive to fans. Less indulgence would give the game a better shot at being great.

It is a lot of fun if you're into the exploration aspects of the game though. And you can definitely see Inquisition's influence.

I don't think the game will make a Mass Effect fan out of anyone whose first game is Andromeda.
Buckyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #32
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckyrig View Post

I don't think the game will make a Mass Effect fan out of anyone whose first game is Andromeda.
Agreed. I'm enjoying it well enough, but there are a lot of misses that should have been easy wins. This will ultimately be pretty forgettable is my guess.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #33
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Heh. I met Conrad Verner's sister. Got her own case of hero worship.

I started enjoying the game more as I began getting planet viability up. Just running around the planets and doing side quests is fun. But the other stuff hasn't really improved all that much.

And the big reveal about the kett:
Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
they're just sentient husks. No huge change from last game.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM   #34
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

I just started it 2 days ago...so far...seems ok...still on the first planet so haven't had time to really judge much. Cant say I've seen much of the glitches and bugs that critics talk about...the facial animation stuff doesn't really take me out of the story, so that's not bugging me. Graphically, its beautiful, so I'm just hoping the story holds up.

But I do see the critique where people say "its just not quite mass effect."
I do feel that a bit...i have to remind myself that it takes place in the same universe as the others.
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #35
Buckyrig
I Know Super Karate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Korslund View Post
Cant say I've seen much of the glitches and bugs that critics talk about...
I've had squad members drop out of the sky. Which is really not a big deal. But I've also had them die in hard to access places. One got wedged in the ground where I couldn't revive them and they wouldn't come back to the ship either. Had to reload.

I've also had two hard crashes and a few infinite loading screens. (Which, sadly, is par for the course with Bioware.)