Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 12-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

unfinished pages from 2 yrs ago

I don't think ive showed these before. partly cause they were never finished, partly cause I know they are riddled with stupid mistakes. I was REALLY trying with these, and some things about them I like, but overall..i know they just show how much I have to learn.

these are from the never produced issue 2 of the Highlander3030 project I was helping with. I was , in part, trying to get the guys in charge to hire ME to do the interior pages because the guy they had doing it was god-fucking-awful. they had me on covers, but I wanted the interiors. but it all fell apart in the end anyway so.. whatever.

these pages were flashbacks of Duncans time in japan. the basic story is he was training in sword technique and there was a dickhead guy that was better than him and kept besting him. Duncan continues his training with his old master, who sees that Duncan is struggling and offers some wise words. he sends Duncan off to retrieve a rare flower from the hills and when he brings it to his master, he sees that the flower has disintegrated in his hands. this lead to some higher metaphorical lesson that Duncan took to heart and went to face his challenger again. the fight at the end was hard as FUCK to do because it needed me to show that the 2 guys were fighting and Duncan maneuvers around and gets the sun in the bad guys eyes blinding him and allowing Duncan to with the fight without killing him.
I struggled forever trying to figure out how to draw what the script called for and don't think I ever got it right.
anyway, several of these pages are unfinished or are missing backgrounds and all that. but I'm not ever gonna do anything with them again, so, might as well show them I guess.

comics are hard.

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

SSTiger will become famous soon enough

I haven't read the first issue you're referring to, but these are pretty sweet! I especially like your wide panels.

The main character (Duncan) gets this strange detail in Page 4 where his hair is different and tied up for just one panel (panel 3, the close up) before becoming all loose and flying-in-the-wind again in his next panel.

The sun thing is weird; I honestly don't know how anyone would pull that off even in video. The closest I can think of is the scene from Ninja Scroll, where the eyeless swordsman (forgot his name) uses the blade of his sword to reflect the sun into his opponents' eyes, blinding them.

Quote:
comics are hard.
Tell me about it.

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
SSTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTiger View Post
I haven't read the first issue you're referring to, but these are pretty sweet! I especially like your wide panels.

The main character (Duncan) gets this strange detail in Page 4 where his hair is different and tied up for just one panel (panel 3, the close up) before becoming all loose and flying-in-the-wind again in his next panel.

The sun thing is weird; I honestly don't know how anyone would pull that off even in video. The closest I can think of is the scene from Ninja Scroll, where the eyeless swordsman (forgot his name) uses the blade of his sword to reflect the sun into his opponents' eyes, blinding them.

Tell me about it.
I actually had that EXACT scene in mind.

As for the page 4 hair thing...that panel 3 is actually a shot of a woman. In the script, as the old master guy is talking to duncan, he refers to his mother from long ago and Its her talking in that panel. Without text, its strange panel out of context. My faliure is that i guess it doesn’t look like a woman enough to separate him visually from being the main guy?

Like i was saying, i struggled with these pages.
Thx tho man. Every page is a learning process for the next one.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

The woman panel was a weak spot.
Too similar in appearance to the male and no indication that it was a flashback or similar. maybe a different border style for that panel might have helped.

Oh well, moving on.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans View Post
The woman panel was a weak spot.
Too similar in appearance to the male and no indication that it was a flashback or similar. maybe a different border style for that panel might have helped.

Oh well, moving on.
The colorist was going to give it an aged, kinda older look. Doesn’t translate here at all tho. In hindsight I shoulda done it different. Oh well. :0)
Old 12-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

Quote:
The colorist was going to give it an aged, kinda older look. Doesn’t translate here at all tho. In hindsight I shoulda done it different.
In retrospect I can see what you were going for; without colors it just isn't immediately obvious, that's all.

Quote:
I actually had that EXACT scene in mind.
Guess it's true what they say about great minds thinking alike

Even in that scene though, the two of them were standing still when the Kimon Devil Guy pulled his trick. Doing it while moving around (and without using reflections) - different story.

It's probably doable somehow (maybe the two of them are doing that locking-swords-with-each-other thing, Duncan sees the reflection of the sun on the enemy's blade, realizes it is behind him, and steps out of the way?), but not in the space you were working with. That's two pages at least, three for full effect with a splash or two. Couple of captions of narration could shorten the scene.

(might be a fun writing exercise to ponder when I have some time)

But, it would still be the writer's job to do the breakdown of the sequence into panels - didn't they do that for you?

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
Old 12-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTiger View Post

But, it would still be the writer's job to do the breakdown of the sequence into panels - didn't they do that for you?
Yeah they did, but i found it very hard to translate. I personally woulda wrote it differently. I get the point they were getting at, as this flashback story then related to the future story, but it just didnt work.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

Nice work overall, regardless.

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
Old 12-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
Rob Norton

so heres more essentially "tryout" pages for that Highlander book. did these about 2 yrs ago as well.
this is from the script off issue 1. the main guy Duncan talking to some random guy, I cant remember who he was. they have a small confrontation and then Duncan goes and sits alone, drinking, watching a hologram of some past girl he knew, then sits alone with his thoughts pondering the past.
there are things about these pages that I like, and some things that are just bad. I always have a hard time drawing 2 guys in proper perspective with each other and their environment.

comics are hard part 2

Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #10
Rob Norton

just a bump here...cause why not...its not like theres much traffic going on..so..yeah..

rob
Old 01-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Saul Haber

Saul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really niceSaul Haber is just really nice

These pencils look pretty sick to me! It's great work.
On page three of the last post, the panel order of the last four panels wasn't 100% clear to me due to the staggered layout.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Haber View Post
These pencils look pretty sick to me! It's great work.
On page three of the last post, the panel order of the last four panels wasn't 100% clear to me due to the staggered layout.
yeah that wasn't a great choice on my part. hows it going man?

rob
Old 01-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #13
kevinharte36

kevinharte36 will become famous soon enough

Have you had any publishing luck? What's the feedback (if any?). Never submitted myself. Maybe after a year of the mentor-ship I'm doing.
kevinharte36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #14
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinharte36 View Post
Have you had any publishing luck? What's the feedback (if any?). Never submitted myself. Maybe after a year of the mentor-ship I'm doing.
so...you say "publishing". do you mean luck with publishing like me doing it myself or do you mean submitting my art to get hired on a book?

I have plans to do a kickstarter and see if i can get a thing published for myself and out there. i KNOW im not good enough to be hired by a major comic company..but maybe what skills i DO have, combined with an interesting and well enough executed idea could bring some margin of success. maybe. its the dream we all have.

as far as these pages here..for the Highlander3030 thing i mentioned. it was an OFFICALLY licensed comic signed off on by the owners of the property to a small press company called Emerald Star comics.

i got to work on the book a bit and came to that small press companies attention by some simple ways that most people dont agree with.

first off..i knew a few years back that my art skills werent good enough for the big times. still arent. but we all have to practice.

so..step 1..networking. make freinds..work with people. get to know others of like minded ambitions. i made freinds with an aspiring writer. and he was working with a very small press company that did books based on Canadian comic book supeheros. Redleafcomics. they had self published several book and when they saw my art, the guy in charge wanted me to draw a book for them. now..here is where most artists lose their shit. "work for free". people lose their mind at this point.
but these guys..like most of us, have no money. none. so where is pay gonna come from? BUT..i want to make comic books. and these guys have connections to writers, colorist, letterers, and the know how to put the books together in digital format and ready for physical printing. all of which i did NOT. and i wanted to see a book with MY art in it. so i started working for them. and i did a SHIT ton of work. all for free. but i made connections. it gave me practice. it forced me to commit to a project and finish it..all 24 pages of another guys script. and i saw it thru to completion.
and i did several short stories. i did character design work. and it was all shared around with my name attached to it. and these guys were not making ANY money off anything. but i didnt care. im working in comics because its fun. and i have to pay my dues. i need to get BETTER. and this is a perfect way to do all that while still producing results.

i became very good friends with the guy thats in charge of the whole thing. John is his name. and he looked out for me. he is my friend. hell..when Salt Lake City started having Comic cons, this guy..who i never had met in person, called the organizers of the convention (which sported HUGE numbers rivalling the biggest cons in the country) and got me a FREE table in artist alley somehow. all i had to do was show up and get my tickets and stuff. Because we were a small press company and he was able to talk them into that. what a nice surprise that was.

so..networking...building relationships. stuff like that. so...down the road.. he said that he had what could be a HUGE opportunity for me but he couldnt tell me about it until the details had been worked out and finalized and signed. it was for the other small press company Emerald Star whom he was really good friends with. turned out..that guy that owned that company SOMEHOW was able to negotiate the comic rights to publish a series based on Highlander. and my pal John referred me to the owner of that company and he brought me on to draw the covers for the book. i REALLY wanted the interiors but they already had a god AWFUL guy drawing it (probably under signed contract). but i REALLY wanted the interiors.

BUT..the COVERS? holy shit ill take that. my art on the front of a major franchise propertty like that..hell yeah ill do that.

so i put in my best possible work and efforts to produce the best i could and im still pretty much happy with what i did. i didnt care for the colorists they had available so i paid out of MY own pocket a colorist i knew who was/is REALLY good and he did an amazing job. if my art was gonna be on the cover of something that had the chance to actually go on the shelves of comic shops, i wanted it to look the best i could make it, hence why i chose and paid a colorist.

so being all hyped up and excited as i was, i provided 2 separate covers. one became the regular cover, the second became a variant edition.

i did more single images. 3 separate fully finished images all of which they liked and wanted to use on subsequent covers for the books. (the interior artist didnt like this at all fyi. but he sucked ASS). i produced a SHIT ton of work. for free. i DID have a contract with them for percentage of the sales and would be paid when the book sold. which i was fine with. thats just how it goes. the small press thats making this thing didnt have any money either. its just guys making book. how he negotiated the rights for this book i dont know but he did.. and i wanted MY name on it. its a big deal. a well known franchise name. and i am doing the COVER. ill work my ass off for that. and i did.

ultimatly, the book only saw 1 full issue completed in the 3 year time the contract was for. Diamond didnt see it as being profitable and didnt pick it up. the owners of the franchise didnt help by promoting it. and it all failed.
but what a fun time for a moment. i did work i was proud of. i learned stuff. it was all fine.

now..im still friends with John from Redleaf. and im actually now drawing a short 8 page story (maybe more later) for him that is written by pro comics writer James Hudnall (who was a guest of honor at last summers SDCC i beleive) and has written several well received books for big publishers. John connected with this guy..worked out whatever they did, and we are working on a short story and are gonna see where it will go.

we have a pro writer and his name attached to it. im doing my best work i can..tho probably not as good as it needs to be..cause im not very good. but its something that MAY become something. its working with a pro writer. and it all came from networking with people, being a good person and reliable and professional, and working for free a lot to get better and help boost others that in turn boost me.

so.. thats where im at. thats what im doing. lots of ways to go about trying to get stuff out there. this just works for me. i get motivated by doing stuff that has the chance to actually be seen, even if im not being paid. if i was good enough to be paid, id be working for a bigger publisher. but im not. so i do what i can where i can find it. and its yeilded enough results for me to be satisfied with what ive done.

so.. does..that answer your question?

ROB
Old 01-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
kevinharte36

kevinharte36 will become famous soon enough

That's awesome. Wonder how some people were able to break in, there doesn't seem to be any means to get some guidance as to how to do so.
kevinharte36 is offline   Reply With Quote