Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Colorist Showcase

Old 09-24-2017, 10:42 PM   #16
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Pages 18,19
John Broglia - Pencils/Ink
Stelladia - Colors
Stewart Vernon - Flats

From the Tellos Mike Wieringo Tribute Volume 2 hardcover. For each page, on the left is the composited inks + color flats, and on the right are just the isolated color flats that I contributed.

I'm going to be blogging with more details over the next week or so as I get time to write more behind-the-scenes info for each group of pages I worked on, but now that the hardcover has shipped and they premiered it this weekend at Baltimore Comicon, I'm able to share the work that I contributed to this project.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #17
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Pages 25,26
Steve Connlly - Pencils/Ink
Stelladia - Colors
Stewart Vernon - Flats

From the Tellos Mike Wieringo Tribute Volume 2 hardcover. For each page, on the left is the composited inks + color flats, and on the right are just the isolated color flats that I contributed.

I'm going to be blogging with more details over the next week or so as I get time to write more behind-the-scenes info for each group of pages I worked on, but now that the hardcover has shipped and they premiered it this weekend at Baltimore Comicon, I'm able to share the work that I contributed to this project.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #18
Stewart Vernon

Pages 99,100
Whitely Foster - Pencils/Ink
James Offredi - Colors
Stewart Vernon - Flats

Old 09-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #19
Stewart Vernon

Page 220
Armando Zanker - Pencils/Ink
Matt Webb - Colors
Stewart Vernon - Flats

From the Tellos Mike Wieringo Tribute Volume 2 hardcover. On the left is the composited inks + color flats, and on the right are just the isolated color flats that I contributed. FYI for this specific page I was asked to not breakdown the big group shot in the top panel. The colorist was going to do something special there and specifically told me to not worry about breaking those down for him.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #20
Stewart Vernon

Pages 221-224
Scott D.M. Simmons - Pencils/Ink
Matt Webb - Colors
Loston Wallace - Color Assist pg 222,223
Stewart Vernon - Flats

Old 09-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #21
Stewart Vernon

Pages 225-227
Matt Haley - Pencils
Tom Simmons - Inks
Matt Webb - Colors
Loston Wallace - Color Assist pg 225
Stewart Vernon - Flats

Old 09-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #22
Stewart Vernon

Page 278
Winslow Drum - Pencils/Ink
Eric Ninaltowski - Colors
Stewart Vernon - Flats

From the Tellos Mike Wieringo Tribute Volume 2 hardcover. On the left is the composited inks + color flats, and on the right are just the isolated color flats that I contributed.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 PM   #23
Stewart Vernon

As fate would have it, I also color flatted 4 more pages that did not make it into the final production. What happened was somehow a couple of different groups of us ended up working some of the same pages unintentionally... so mine happened to be in the group that ended up being unused.

It's a shame, because for these pages I was specifically asked to use reference colors (instead of the usual randomness I had been asked to do for other pages) so these pages look the closest to final colored pages. Short only of lighting/shadow effects, these look pretty good to me so I get to have them as good portfolio examples, but unfortunately they didn't make the final production cut.

Pages 89-91,125
Tak Toyoshima - Pencils/Ink
Val Staples - Colors
Stewart Vernon - Flats

From the Tellos Mike Wieringo Tribute Volume 2 hardcover. For each page, on the top is the composited inks + color flats, and on the bottom are just the isolated color flats that I contributed.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #24
Stewart Vernon

This is something I actually did about a month ago... early September I was contacted by Todd Dezago and Craig Rousseau to see if I could help them out with an upcoming Kickstarter, which has now gone live this week so I can talk about it!

They asked me to help provide color flats for the wraparound cover to their Cryptid Field Guide that was going to be part of the Perhapanauts Kickstarter. I did this with reference colors, so I think it looks pretty good as it is, but there were some minor tweaks along with the shading/lighting they did for the final version.

Make sure you check out their Kickstarter and you can see the final image there as well as all the info about the whole project (which includes a stuffed Choopie!)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...form=hootsuite

For the following images, the top one features the line art + color flats composited together, while the one on the bottom features just the color flats that I provided. The cover itself is an excellent homage to the old Marvel Handbook covers.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #25
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

On the first page, can I ask why the hidden door is a different colour?
Or are these just the 'flats' for now?

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #26
Stewart Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans View Post
On the first page, can I ask why the hidden door is a different colour?
Or are these just the 'flats' for now?
All the Tellos pages from the other day, and the Perhapanauts from earlier today, are all just flats. Some were with reference colors and others were specifically not reference colors. Different colorists wanted me to work different ways with their pages.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:40 AM   #27
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

cool.
Otherwise not very hidden. Hahaha

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #28
Stewart Vernon

Yeah, bright neon is not a secret door color! In a few cases, while I was flatting Tellos pages I was also talking with the colorist and found out they were going to do a lighting effect or something that would cause me to stop breaking down background items... so sometimes I was in the middle of breaking them down when I stopped.. which leads to interesting looking pages in a couple of places at this stage
Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 AM   #29
Stewart Vernon

Finished coloring a 4-page story for someone this weekend... will post whenever I get permission to do so. I also lettered the pages as well.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #30
Stewart Vernon

So... a couple of months ago I got to do some additional work on a previous piece!

The Perhapanauts Bedlam Cryptids Field Guide has been growing in scope since Todd & Craig got their Kickstarter funded... and as a result the deluxe wraparound cover dustjacket gained a third page... so it's a foldout now.

I was happy to be asked back to flat the new art. In the process I learned it wasn't very difficult at all to take all of my previous flatting work and bring it into the new larger lineart so that I didn't have to do all that work again! I knew I could do it, but I didn't know how easy it was going to be to verify that the new expanded layers from the old file would align correctly with the new file.

In case you don't want to scroll back and find the older first version... the new art page was added to the left, so that left 1/3 of the cover is the new stuff since I had previously worked with them.