Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

SJV Lettering and Logos

Before I knew better, I had been posting examples of logo work in my art dump thread. Now that I'm dipping into some of the lettering activities here, I figured I should have a thread in this forum as well... so the first few posts here will be things you have seen before in my art dump, but going forward I will be trying my hand at some lettering activities and posting other logo work in this thread.

You should probably also know that I have violated a lot of lettering guidelines in my daily Web comic... but some of it is preference since I'm doing the whole strip, while other things are parts of the process that I had not yet learned. My strip is always evolving and I may likely be soon including some more-standard lettering techniques there to showcase my personal growth. I might also continue to violate some rules too
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Fringe Kisses and 'Sects Comic Strip Titles

For my own Web comics, I designed a few logos. Though I put my Fringe Kisses strip on hiatus a while back, I'm still proud of the smoochy logo design:

For my 'Sects comic strip, I created a couple of designs:

The second 'Sects title design is one I use in my Sunday edition of the comic strip. At the moment I haven't really made use of the cleaner version. Both 'Sects logos feature my apostrophbee design, of which I am particularly proud!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Stewart Vernon

Superman, Bizarro, Wonder Woman

For fun and practice... I recently drew the classic Superman S-shield and the Wonder Woman eagle chest insignia. I also turned the Superman design with a few tweaks into a nice Bizarro chest insignia as well.

Basically, these are examples to demonstrate how I can make a clean vector version of an existing title or logo design.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Stewart Vernon

Doctor Who Classic titles

Being a long-time Doctor Who fan, and looking for some more logo recreation practice... I made some nice, clean vector versions of my favorite Doctor Who logos.

First up, the classic diamond logo used for Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. The blue one is featured in the credits of the show, while the colorful one sees a lot of use in marketing and other media presentations.

Next, the neon logo used for the end of Tom Baker's turn, and all of Peter Davison's tenure as the Doctor. This is actually my favorite logo design overall and it was the one that took me the longest to recreate.

Last, and only least by comparison to the others... the Sylvester McCoy title design. It looks better in the animated 3D CGI of the show than it does as a 2D logo, and it isn't a bad design... just not my favorite.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
Stewart Vernon

I don't know if this is the right place to drop these... but I don't know where else to stick them (yeah, someone will probably suggest a place)...

A while back I made an animated logo for my first online comic strip:

The "SIT" arrangement makes a little chair, so I "sat" the "S" in the final spot.

Today I made another animated text bit for my blog when the counter crossed 10,000 hits:

This one is a little bug running towards a wall, trying to slow down, but ultimately hitting it and making the impression of the "1" on the other side.

These are animated GIFs, cheap/quick animation, but primarily involve lettering so I thought this was as good a place as any. Also, I haven't updated my lettering thread in a while.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
Stewart Vernon

Something I whipped up this evening as part of a humorous reply to someone's timeline on Facebook last night...

A lot of times when I make a parody logo I have to improvise letters to match the style of the original design. Fortunately, between Toys R Us and Babies R Us I had all the letters I needed to make this one.

Oh, and as part of my process... I always make the correct logo first so I have that as something I can return to and either use for something real later OR to make a different parody logo.

I usually do these as part of my 'Sects comic strip, but every now and again I do something standalone as a gag like this one.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
Stewart Vernon

Since I haven't been working this thread in a while... there's about to be a flood!

Here's a real logo, the classic Superman 3-D title that I drew recently. No parody here, just my version of the DC Comics design.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
Stewart Vernon

For my 'Sects comic strip, I have done a lot of parodies and homages for my Sunday edition. For the comic covers and movie posters I've often had to first create the real title/logo and then use that as a basis to create my own parody version. Everything you see here was created as vector art in Illustrator.

Sometimes the detail is lost as the comic panels are quite small... so here's a bunch of different parody/homage logos shown below the correct/original version that I have drawn so far this year...

Colleen Doran's A Distant Soil made for an awesome homage when I introduced a new earthworm character:

For some classic TV parodies, I couldn't help but use Hee Haw:

I just really like the American Flagg! title and Howard Chaykin of course, so this had to be done:

For my time-traveling character, I absolutely had to make a Back to the Future reference:

Always an Elton John fan, and a wonderful parody of his lyrics for some dialog meant I had to do an album cover parody... and Captain Fantastic just screamed out to me:

I did a political dinosaur joke, so Jurassic Park was a natural parody to do:
Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
Stewart Vernon

A friend on Facebook unknowingly planted the Queen theme song from the Flash Gordon movie into my head... so I felt compelled to recreate the logo from the movie...

Eagle-eyed observers will note that the official logo design has the title text in front of the centerpiece, but when I was drawing it I thought it looked better with the text behind instead... and since I was drawing it, that's what I did!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
Areocube
-- Aaron Williamson --

Areocube is a jewel in the roughAreocube is a jewel in the roughAreocube is a jewel in the rough

Stewart, none of the images of your lettering are showing up... I'd really like to see your work. I have a book that will need a letterer soon.

www.AWilliamson.ArtStation.com
Areocube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
Stewart Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areocube View Post
Stewart, none of the images of your lettering are showing up... I'd really like to see your work. I have a book that will need a letterer soon.
They are all linked from my Wordpress blog... and are showing up for me. Could it be you have Wordpress blocked/filtered somehow?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
maverick

maverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nicemaverick is just really nice

fun fact: Jurassic Park logo was originally created by the legendary Chip Kidd
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #13
Stewart Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
fun fact: Jurassic Park logo was originally created by the legendary Chip Kidd
Cool to know! When I do comic art parodies I can usually easily find out who did the cover, or in most cases I already know being a longtime comic book fan... but when it comes to logos that I've parodied I don't know who to credit most of the time.

I'm at least always clear that I'm copying someone else's work when I recreate a known logo design... but it would be nice if I could credit the people who designed them more often.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #14
Stewart Vernon

Something everyone here ought to recognize... the Fist of Justice title/logo!

I originally drew this for my action-figure-in-packaging pinup submission... but have gone back and tweaked it a little since then. I think this one is closer to their official title design than what I used for my pin-up earlier this year.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #15
Stewart Vernon

Another logo parody from today's 'Sects comic strip. This time I wanted to parody the classic Tales from the Crypt logo as a lead-in to my story.

On top is my recreation of the classic EC Comics logo, and below that is my alternate parody "Tales from the Cave" version.