The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase

Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
bpbajdek

bpbajdek is on a distinguished road

The Butchers

Hey everyone! I'm an old user to the site but I wanted to talk about a new project I'm working on. Last month, I published my first comic through Comixology, called Ötzi (you can check it out here). I've written my next book, The Butchers, which is set to be a mini-series of five comics. I'll be re-teaming with artist Aleksandar Bozic for the new story. I've posted a few character sketches below.

Here's a little background...

THE STORY

Set in 1877 around the small scabtown of Flatbottom, Texas, the story centers around Wesley, a 14-year old boy who finds himself caught in the violent dustdevil of the Butchers, the once most notorious gang of outlaws west of the Mississippi. For five years, the Butchers raised hell, committing countless crimes to the detriment of the United States government. In one of the final acts of his presidency, U.S.S. Grant enlisted a group of highly-skilled individuals (dubbed the Viceroys) in an effort to hunt down the Butchers and put an end to their bloody reign. Now, the gang find themselves on the run.

When Wesley steals one of the Butcher's horses in an effort to escape his own life, he unknowingly becomes a chroniclers of their final days.

CHARACTERS

Wesley - our 14-year protagonist.

The Butchers

James "Smiley" Clarihan - leader of the Butchers and the most wicked of the bunch.

Ranger - a former Texas Ranger who decided the best way to reap his vengeance is through a life of crime. Inspired by "Silence" from the film The Great Silence.

Roberto "El Mosquito" Ramírez - a notorious river pirate of the Ohio River and proud owner of Maravilla, the horse stolen by Wesley.

Cicatriz (Spanish for "scar") - An escaped railroad slave who gained refuge on the Ohio River with El Mosquito.

Coyote Mouth - A Mescalaro Apache woman believed to be half possessed by the trickster spirit of the Coyote.

The Viceroys (the surviving ones...)

John Dillard - A grizzled Texas Ranger with a dark past connected to Ranger.

Edward "Mustang" Macey - A Chicago pinkerton and undefeated bare-knuckle prizefighter.

Marietta Barton - One of the most famous western exhibition sharpshooters in the United States. A bonafide celebrity.

bpbajdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
bpbajdek

I wanted to provide an update on the project. The artist Aleksandar Bozic has completed some of the pages for a possible Kickstarter campaign, as well as cover art for the project. While this was originally envisioned as a five issue mini-series, we are leaning toward collecting the complete story in a five chapter OGN.

Here's a sample page from the first chapter:

Old 08-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

like the artwork style.
Loose, but easy to read.
Looks very suitable for a western.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
bpbajdek

Thanks for the kind words! Here's another preview featuring the full cast of Butchers. We're gearing up to Kickstart the project so any feedback is greatly appreciated.