The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 09-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
westwolf270

westwolf270 is on a distinguished road

5 Best peaces of professional advice I have ever received...

5 best peaces of advice I've ever received (or at least remember receiving)
(the following is ad-libed from memory)

1 Andy Smith-

you need to be more then good you need develop your own style

He was editor at IDW and he was kind enough to write back after I sent him some samples. he said he liked my work, I was good and very professional, but he just want to see something different or unique I guess. something that would set me apart. since then I've tried developing my own style has been a mean focus.

2 Eric Larson

Who cares if your as good as the worst book we publish, try to be as good if not better then the best book we put out.

comic artist and submissions editor at the time. after a rejection letter I got from a failed proposal at image comics. I tried to argued that they were crazy and that my art was better then some of their weaker titles. He quickly told me It wasnít and then gave be this great peace of advice. he also said donít work in a bubble. this really stuck with me as the years went along.

3 Andy Tong

Get out there and donít be afraid

comic artist. I meet him at NYC comic con, he was very nice. I told him I was a big fan of his work an I follow him on deviant art. he asked me what my name on deviant art was. I told him he wouldnít know me cause I donít comment much on other peoples work. he quickly corrected me. he even told me to DM him when I got home so he could check out my stuff. I told I wasnít that good. he said that the fact I think itís not good is normal and all artist thinks that way about their own work. he liked my colors enough to give me inks heís done professionally so I can use for my portfolio. even critiqued me and help me fix them up.

4 Darren Davis

Donít worry about bad reviews

He was my editor for a while. A book we was working on was getting bad reviews, and they were calling me and my coloring job out. He said it comes with the territory, you got to get used to them and ignore them. itís was hard but I eventually got better at it. I like to think that today I try to just do what I want without thinking to much about how others might react.

5 James o Barr

Just keep doing what your doing, whatever your case may be and people will eventually start to notice.

the legion and my favorite comic creator. meet him by complete surprise in a comic con overseas, while in the military. I had mentioned I had worked in comics before but I have left it behind to join the navy. he didnít understand why I had to quit one to do the other. he told me what his job was when he joined the army had nothing to do with art. but he kept at it and people noticed. before he know it he was being asked to do tattoos, flyers, and T-shirts for the military. I followed his advice and things started happening for me in much the same way.
westwolf270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

pretty ballsy to tell the editor of IMAGE COMICS that they are stupid for not picking up YOUR book cause you think your art is better than the stuff they are currently publishing.
that wont get anyone anywhere...
12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Regarding #2, was he talking about LARSON?

Regarding #1: style comes naturally after working for awhile. You will see even from your old sketchbooks, how you are developing in certain ways and style. Don't try to force it, I think (personally) that you can tell when an artist is working in a way that isn't natural for them.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans View Post
Regarding #2, was he talking about LARSON?

I'm pretty sure he means Erik Larsen of savage dragon fame. being that he submitted a book to Image comics and Larsen, during his time in charge, had lots of say in picking what was accepted and what wasn't. I could be wrong but I don't see how I could be anyone else..
Old 09-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

"Pieces"
Old 09-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #6
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
"Pieces"
"Piz-ieces..." fo shizzle...
Old 09-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #7
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12013 View Post
"Piz-ieces..." fo shizzle...
Old 09-10-2017, 01:18 AM   #8
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I meant was the 'being better than your average artist' a story about himself, or a story told to him by Larson?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
westwolf270

lol yes Eric from savage dragon fame.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #10
DCdraw

DCdraw is on a distinguished road

The best and worst pro advice I ever got was an art/masturbation analogy from Neal Adams
DCdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #11
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

DCdraw - Do tell good sir. You can't say that and not tell us.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
DCdraw

DCdraw is on a distinguished road

It's actually nothing too crazy. Basically, he was saying we're building relationships with our art so it's ideal to spend an equal, if not more, amount of time working on our art (books, life drawing, etc..equating that to working on having a relationship with another person) instead of simply only doing finished pieces (which he equated to mastubatory self gratification).
So yeah, great advice but, didn't really want to be talking with him about anything having to do with masturbation lol. Plus, I was told all this in the usual Neal Adams way....which means I was lectured at condescendingly.
DCdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #13
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCdraw View Post
The best and worst pro advice I ever got was an art/masturbation analogy from Neal Adams
From Neal Adams, I got a good tip from him.
-What are you trying to sell?- He said. -Show me only the stuff that you really want sell.-
He was right, a portfolio with unfocussed stuff is confusing and distracting for Editors who had only seconds to make a decision amongst hundred of portfolio samplings.
I was at my first big convention. I went with my portfolio full of stuff formerly made for different media: illustration, children books. Samples for superhero's comics. Games. Crime and western comics made for European publishers, comics made for licensed animation characters etc. Cartoony and realistic styles, color and B/W you name it. I got everything in a big black portfolio, separated by sections just in case I would find the interest of the right employer. Any employer.

-You need focus on which is your target-, he said.
If you want sell children's books illustrations show only that in your portfolio.
And show it only to children's book publishers.
You want sell comics for Marvel, don't show stuff made with DC characters on it to a Marvel Editor. Yep. I got it.
But at the time I was only looking for a job. Any job that would allow to keep me going ahead with my doing artwork for a living.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
westwolf270

cool I've meet Neal Adams but was too afraid and intimidated to show him any of my work. I would say it was only at the time but I'd still feel the same today lol.