The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Lettering Showcase

Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

Anyone using Illus CS4?

I upgraded from CS2 to CS4. In CS2 I could draw a box then go OBJECT>CROP AREA>MAKE and it would create a crop area. Then when I did a SAVE FOR WEB or EXPORT it would only export the area within the crop area. (I tend to have random crap off the sides of the art boards that i don't want exported as part of the image.) Well, because CS4 has the fancy multiple art boards capability the crop area thing is gone.

So... anyone know how the #%@$ I do this now to where the export of save for web is only the content of the actual art board. I've been googling and going through help and experimenting for about 40 minutes and I'm not finding an answer.
Kel Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

BLARGH!!! Okay, I think I finally figured it all out.

When exporting you have to tick the USE ARTBOARDS box and when using save for web there's a box to tick for CLIP TO ARTBOARD (which is on the older version but I never had to use it because I was using crop area).

So much new stuff going on here I just missed the stuff right in front of my face!

Uhhhh... carry on.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Kep!
Mad Genius

Location: Ok, maybe just a little ticked off, not actually mad.
Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

Yup, it stopped me cold for a couple of hours as well. I like it as a feature because it does give more options, but come on, warning people!
Kep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Piekos
Blambot Font Guy

Piekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nicePiekos is just really nice

This should be a sticky.

~N
Old 03-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Kep!
Mad Genius

Kep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud ofKep! has much to be proud of

So mote it be!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Well, since we have CS4 thread stickied.... here's another.

When I export as a TIFF (or JPG or PNG or any other) it automatically ads "-01" to the end of the name. Like "Bob01.tif" is turned into "Bob01-01.tif".... WTF?!?!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

It's because of the artboards changes but I'm wondering if there's a way to shut off the auto-numbering thing.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Kep!
Mad Genius

Interesting! That I have not run into. I'll have to give it a go.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Okay, so has anyone stumbled upon a way to "export using artboards" and have it NOT automatically add "-01" to the end of the filename?

I can understand if you have one document with 5 different artboards wanting to be able to export them all with one click that the auto artboard numbering would be a handy OPTION. But it's kind of a pain in that ass to sit here and output a books worth of TIFFs then go back and erase "-01" from every pages filename and I can't find a way to turn it off.

Just seems like another thing with this new version that should be made an option and not set thing. I mean sure I'm using artboards but I'm only using ONE. Why do I need to label it as artboard #1???
Old 06-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Thomas Mauer
Letterer & Designer

Thomas Mauer will become famous soon enough

While not an ideal solution, you could batch rename the output files in Bridge with CTRL+SHIFT+R.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Clem Robins

Clem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura aboutClem Robins has a spectacular aura about

DC can't use CS4 for lettering, Kenny Lopez has told me. when you do an Offset Path on CS3 and earlier, the original object remains selected. and this is very crucial to DC's method of making balloons (and my own method of making sound effects). but apparently, on CS4, both the original object and the expanded object are selected after an Offset Path.

if i could make any improvement on Illustrator, and on Adobe products in general, it would be for them to be customizable. the SAVE AS routine worked a lot more conveniently on Illustrator 10 than it does on CS1. how it works on current versions, I have no idea.
Clem Robins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Got a copy of CS5 on order (in fact, it should already be here, but that's Royal Mail for you).

I have no doubt it will bug the living crap out of me like all new software does, but I'll try to keep anything I post here to substantive improvements or potentially workflow-disrupting changes in behaviour.

Cheers!

Jim
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCampbell
Got a copy of CS5 on order (in fact, it should already be here, but that's Royal Mail for you).
Well, it finally arrived on the eve of the UK's (arguably) largest Con, so installing this will have to wait.

One thing, though ... a thousand pounds and no manuals? No documentation of any kind? You cheap bastards, Adobe.

Cheers!

Jim
Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
Thomas Mauer
Letterer & Designer

Thomas Mauer will become famous soon enough

When you install it, you'll see a search area in the top right (just like CS4). You can access the help file from there. I think it's a mix of online and local data.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
JimCampbell
Letterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mauer
When you install it, you'll see a search area in the top right (just like CS4). You can access the help file from there. I think it's a mix of online and local data.
Yeah. I know. For a grand, I was stupidly expecting more than three disks. For a grand, I was expecting a pretty girl to deliver it by hand and give me a free lap dance, quite frankly!

Cheers

Jim