The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase

Old 02-22-2015, 03:41 AM   #16
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

My sixth Sunday edition went up a little bit ago. This just might be my favorite one of the entire series. If not my absolute favorite, easily in my top 5 list.

I had been doing some movie references during the week... and wondering what to do for the weekend... and decided to homage Incredible Hulk #1 by Jack Kirby for the opening gag.

Then a bit of inspired magic happened... Buzz, the fly, practically jumped up and begged me to make the rest of the strip a parody of the opening monologue from the classic Hulk TV show. I loved that show as a kid, and this just felt right. I hope it will be enjoyed, because I really enjoyed putting this one together.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:34 AM   #17
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Sunday Seven is in the books... or on the Webs... or whatever!

I kicked it off with another Jack Kirby homage, this time Fantastic Four issue 1. The rest of it is without dialog, except from the TV and the final caption. I decided to go with a semi-silent Star Trek tribute since we lost Leonard Nimoy this week.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #18
Stewart Vernon

For my eighth Sunday edition, I went back to the Mad comic well again... and did a homage to issue #4, again by Harvey Kurtzman.

The main story is a nod to reality TV.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:46 AM   #19
Stewart Vernon

For Sunday #9 I start off with a dream sequence homage to Amazing Fantasy #15 by Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.

The main story is something that came up recently while visiting a local comic book store (Capitol Comics in Raleigh, NC). I was there for a visit and talking to a bunch of people... and randomly one of the guys there was doing a bit from the movie The Five Heartbeats. It is a riff on how people ask you to do work-related things when you aren't at work.

If you are in the area or know Sequoyah from the store, you can thank/blame him for this Sunday's strip concept!

Old 03-22-2015, 01:49 AM   #20
Stewart Vernon

I just posted my tenth Sunday edition a few minutes ago. I decided to take a break from comic cover homages, and went for a Wheaties box parody. I wonder how many people will even get that is what I did?

Plus... a reference to NCAA basketball in the main storyline...

Old 03-29-2015, 01:30 AM   #21
Stewart Vernon

Celebrating a milestone...

This past Friday I posted my 100th episode of 'Sects on my blog. Ninety M-F dailies + 10 Sunday editions. It's my longest running strip so far. I almost missed it because I wasn't looking at the post count, and I don't feel daunted looking back because I have so many ideas that I haven't yet worked into the story.

Hoping for hundreds more to come!

Meanwhile... here is my eleventh Sunday edition posted just a few minutes ago. I parodied the Nevermind album cover from Nirvana in the opening gag, then a slight misinterpretation by Buzz of Palm Sunday for the main story.

Regular readers will note a font change. I'm using a more traditional comic lettering font now. I probably should always have been, but live and learn. I also am violating at least one less lettering rule as my dialog is center-aligned. I still don't use balloons most of the time, because that's the style for this strip.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:25 AM   #22
Stewart Vernon

You know... I just realized I never explicitly stated my posting schedule in this thread.

I began the comic strip as a M-F strip... then earlier this year added a Sunday edition to the schedule. So, now I'm daily except for Saturdays.

When I began this thread, I was posting the Monday edition... then once I started doing the Sundays I started posting those here instead.

That means if you like what I'm posting here, there is more on the blog. I considered posting more here but I don't want to hog the forum.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:02 AM   #23
Stewart Vernon

Sunday number 12 falls on Easter Sunday. The opening gag is a combination Easter bit and parody of the Jaws movie poster. It ends up looking similar to last week's Nirvana album cover bit, but I went with it anyway!

Meanwhile, the main story is about Easter and the egg hunt...

Old 04-13-2015, 03:24 AM   #24
Stewart Vernon

I skipped Sunday this week... so here's the Monday edition I just posted. To be fair, full understanding of it really requires you to have been reading since at least last week...

Old 04-19-2015, 01:56 AM   #25
Stewart Vernon

...and we're back to Sunday editions again!

On a sad note, with the recent passing of Herb Trimpe I had Hulk and his artwork on the brain... so I worked a homage to his cover for Incredible Hulk #171 into the opening gag.

The main story is a flip-side of something I've done before with my spider-salesman and Web access... with my Buzzarro doppelganger in full force now!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #26
Bulletboy-Redux
Rex Dart: Eskimo Spy

Bulletboy-Redux will become famous soon enoughBulletboy-Redux will become famous soon enough

hehehe pretty good. One little crit--the "the immovable" part of the logo could be a tiny bit bigger. It's hard to read.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #27
Stewart Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletboy-Redux View Post
hehehe pretty good. One little crit--the "the immovable" part of the logo could be a tiny bit bigger. It's hard to read.
Thank you... Yeah, I keep wrestling with that in these homage gags. Sometimes the title/logo ends up being in the way of something, in this case dialog, and I shrink it to the point where it is hard to read.

I had some funny jabs in an FF homage several weeks back that are completely unreadable at the size I publish, and that one bothered me even more.

For what it's worth... once I get enough of these in the "can" I was thinking about doing some reblogging of just the 2-panel homage gags on Saturdays in the future so that I can present them in a larger size so everything is readable.

Meanwhile, you're right and I really need to get better about these in the Sunday editions. A couple of times (like this one) I really wish I'd spent a little more time and figured a way to present that title larger.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:27 AM   #28
Stewart Vernon

The Sundays continue!

I hadn't done an Easter Island story on Sunday yet... though I've been spending time there during the dailies... so it felt right.

Kicking things off with a Pink Floyd Division Bell parody, it just felt right!

Then... something I've been aching to do... ever since bringing Buzzarro into the mix... the main story today is a parody of the opening from the Patty Duke Show!

Much like the Hulk TV show parody I did a couple of months ago... this one popped into my head and I was just waiting for the right time to make the magic happen. This one is right there with that Hulk parody I did as my two favorite strips I've done so far.

Incidentally, this also marks the first time in any episode that I've revealed the real name of Buzz, or Buzzarro for that matter. I still haven't revealed all of my character's real names and this felt like a good way to sneak these two in there.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #29
Stewart Vernon

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

Kicking things off with an Avengers #1 by Jack Kirby homage, and then the main story is about what happens when one of the guys doesn't go to see the new Avengers: Age of Ultron movie like the rest...

Old 05-05-2015, 01:26 AM   #30
Stewart Vernon

Since I switched over to posting Sundays in this thread, I only posted one daily... back during a week when I skipped the Sunday edition.

Today is bonus day for this week... because I'm so happy with today's cinco de mayo themed cartoon I wanted to post it here too. If I may be so bold, I made myself laugh working on this one.