The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase

Old 05-10-2015, 01:13 AM   #31
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

04/12/2015... the lost Sunday!

So... by the end of this week I introduced time travel to my strip:

05/07/2015

05/08/2015

That let me go back and do a strip for the Sunday I skipped last month... kicking it off with a Back to the Future gag that really made me wish I'd had the forethought to name this character Marty!

The rest of the strip deals with the trip to the past that happened in between the panels on Friday. This marks the first time that I'm really requiring people to read a Sunday strip along with the dailies.

Of course this now means I've done no strip for today 5/10/2015 and I'll have to rectify that... in the future!
Old 05-17-2015, 04:37 AM   #32
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

It's Sunday again... which means it's time for a lot of 'Sects!

Starting it off with a parody of the original Star Wars poster as... Sect Wars! Then the main story is a rather simple bit about a popular saying, but it made me laugh.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:28 AM   #33
Stewart Vernon

Here we are on Sunday again... this one kicks off with a simple Simpsons couch gag homage, and then settles in to essentially a silent Memorial Day reminder for everyone.

I hope it doesn't come across as too preachy... but I cringe every year when I see the "Happy Memorial Day" signs. I'm not saying it has to be morose and morbid... it can certainly be like an Irish Wake, and celebrate the fallen as much as remembering them... but I do feel like a lot of the time it's just a 3-day weekend to cookout and be off work for most people.

Off the soapbox now, and back to funny cartoons.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:38 PM   #34
Stewart Vernon

Sunday came late today... very late... I was slow to get it posted, but I still posted it on Sunday so it counts!

This is my first Sunday that didn't open with an outright parody or homage to a specific visual. I do open with a mjolnir gag... but it isn't like a cover or poster image like I usually do.

Then the main story wanders into rage and what happens when my prone-to-anger Blue doesn't get something he ordered in the mail.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #35
Stewart Vernon

Not as late this Sunday as last Sunday... but not as early as I meant to be.

Many things happening here... I kickoff with a homage to one of Colleen Doran's A Distant Soil covers (issue #11) and then do a couple of things I haven't done before.

The story actually continues from the opening gag, which I haven't been doing... and the whole story + the gag is about a character newly introduced in this Sunday edition. This is the first time I launched a character in the Sunday. It just felt like the way to go with this guy.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:55 AM   #36
Stewart Vernon

Where does the time go? Sunday again!

This time I start with an American Flagg! by Howard Chaykin homage for the quick-gag. I like Chaykin's work and it fit what I wanted to do with the main story.

Ever since I started the strip, I knew I was going to do this one. I had introduced the flagpole for a couple of climate change gags with Buzz during the winter... but I always knew Red was going to be the one to finally put up a flag... and I wanted to do it on Flag Day once I saw that it landed on a Sunday.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:13 AM   #37
Stewart Vernon

Sunday again... Another pretty much straight story, the only real opening gag here is the parody of Doctor Who, before going into the main story which is the first part of turning some things around on everyone. What you thought you knew isn't what you knew, and what you knew isn't what you thought it was!

Old 06-28-2015, 01:25 AM   #38
Stewart Vernon

Another Sunday... and I didn't lie... the to be continued was to be continued and it to does continue! Startling revelations will startle you in a Doctor Who vein!

Old 07-05-2015, 12:36 AM   #39
Stewart Vernon

Another Sunday, and still to be continuing my Doctor Who parody... I'm running to be continued into the ground! But really, it was a story that needed to be told... and telling it over 4 Sundays (should conclude next weekend) made more sense than trying to fit it into the dailies... plus it has a nice parallel to the daily stuff I'm doing too.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:42 AM   #40
Stewart Vernon

The Sunday conclusion to this 4-part prequel story for "Bugtor Who" as a Doctor Who parody, with a tip of the hat this week to Whitesnake in the first story panel!

It all leads back to a story I told this past Easter... 4/6/2015 to be precise. Time Travel allows for neat things in comic strips!

Old 07-19-2015, 12:15 AM   #41
Stewart Vernon

Back mostly to the normal Sunday format this week, though the opening gag of the cover to the Elton John album Captain Fantastic, really just ends up leading to the main story which continues from my Thursday/Friday daily story concept of exploring self-identity while randomly paraphrasing the lyrics from "Your Song" by Elton John... which incidentally was not on the Captain Fantastic album.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 AM   #42
Stewart Vernon

I forgot to drop this here after I posted it yesterday... I didn't post on my Web site until the afternoon anyway...

Kicked off with a Jurassic Park (Insect Park) gag... then continued a political slant I started during the dailies with a jab at a new type of dinosaur... the T-rump!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #43
Stewart Vernon

A break from the monotony...

I'm starting to look back at my 8+ months of work and see how they would look as a comic book. I'm looking at standard comic size, but laying out 2 days worth of comic strips per page sideways. I've seen this done before, and I've been playing around with the layout and I think it will work fine.

It looks like most months (counting Sundays once I get to the point where I started those) would have about 14 pages of story. I have the decision to make of whether to overlap and not explicitly compile a month at a time OR add some behind-the-scenes stuff and sketches to bring it to a 20 page comic each month. I'm leaning towards the behind-the-scenes stuff to make it easier to layout from month-to-month.

Anyway... with that in mind... Here's my first stab at a first-issue cover. The plan would be digital sales at first, but planning for possible print sales in the future, especially to take to conventions or for local comic shops.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:25 AM   #44
Stewart Vernon

And it's Sunday once again... I so wanted to do an Ant-Man homage cover today, but really couldn't find one that did what I wanted to do for the gag... so while it is an Ant-Man parody, it'd not a specific homage to any particular issue.

The main story has some of the gang visiting a corn maze, and misunderstandings ensue!

Old 08-09-2015, 12:09 AM   #45
Stewart Vernon

Today's Sunday edition, hot off the non-presses!

First a shot across the bow of Best Buy... then the most-panels-ever as Buzz does his version of the DirecTV ads in front of the mirror.