The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase

Old 08-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #46
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Sunday funnies!

Kick-off with a Looney Tunes inspired opening gag... then the main story is a homage to the old Ralph Wolf & Sam Sheepdog classic Looney Tunes bit where they clock-in for the day and are at odds while on the clock, but friends off hours.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:01 AM   #47
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

I set my sights on Sunday, but I got so damned depressed... that I did a comic strip anyway!

A semi-parody of the opening to the classic Adventures of Superman TV show... then the main story, believe it or not, is the first time I've actually called Buzzarro by the name Buzzarro in a story. I realized I hadn't done it, and figured it was about time... and it led to an inadvertent potential revelation on my part that might alter the path of the story to come!

Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 AM   #48
Stewart Vernon

I was way later than I meant to be posting this Sunday's comic... technically didn't post it until after midnight... so I'll be waiting a bit before I post my daily for Monday on the blog.

Meanwhile... starts off with a Charlie's Angels riff... making good use of my Looney Tunes circles from a couple of weeks ago! Then basically a little girl talk with some of the few female characters I have in the strip with a bit of a jab at my own inadequacy at creating them in the first place.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:39 PM   #49
DJA

DJA will become famous soon enoughDJA will become famous soon enough

I dig this. Made me chuckle!
DJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:33 AM   #50
Stewart Vernon

Thank you! I figured I might as well call myself out for not being the best at creating female characters... maybe it lets me off the hook a little until I figure it out
Old 09-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #51
Stewart Vernon

Still later than I wanted to be... but practically early compared to how late I was last weekend!

Another Sunday... and a comic cover homage for the opening bit... Win Mortimer's cover to Action Comics #159 was the inspiration this week and it fit the Labor Day theme I wanted to work into the strip.

The main story has Buzz once again getting it wrong, but in a way that makes a strange kind of sense if you think about it!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #52
Stewart Vernon

Sunday... late again... but still on Sunday at least!

For the first time, no outright parody or homage of anything in particular... just an opening 2-panel gag about cursive writing, then the main story is about the return of football season with a bit of a callback to last Sunday's Labor Day conversation.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:42 AM   #53
Stewart Vernon

Sunday again, almost at normal time for a change!

Opened up with a general Tex Avery gag... then continue to the main story mostly with Bob explaining Doctor Who to Samnerica who find a lot of "real life" parallels to the fiction... and Buzz gets something wrong, but nobody seems to notice.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #54
Stewart Vernon

Later than I'd like for a Sunday edition, but not too late!

An opening gag that simultaneously is a homage to CC Beck's Captain Marvel from Whiz Comics #2 AND plays off the similarity to the cover of Action Comics #1. After that, a bit of introspection about the end of summer and a little light note at the end.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #55
Stewart Vernon

Late, but worth it I think...

Kicking off this Sunday with a homage to the classic "Flash of Two Worlds" cover to Flash #123 by Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson!

The main story then is a retelling of sorts... of a story I originally did back in December of last year. My alternate orange universe has opened up the ability to retell some stories with different outcomes. I'm kind of doing a Fringe meets Doctor Who kind of thing, and it really allows me to play a bit more!

Old 10-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #56
Stewart Vernon

Almost didn't make it... took longer than I thought and I started later than I meant to... but it's Sunday again!

No separate opening-gag... rather the whole strip is pretty much a parody of Columbo, but also it's a dream sequence for added funness!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #57
Stewart Vernon

Got busy this weekend, then ran into a Wordpress problem (or maybe a Firefox problem) last night... so Sunday was Monday by accident, not design!

I opened with another CC Beck homage, this time for Marvel Family Comics #1... then since I hadn't used Red in a while I did a little story with him and his Russian-speaking sister where it turns out they are communicating better than they think, even though neither one knows just what the other is saying.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #58
Stewart Vernon

Sunday came late but at least still on Sunday this weekend!

Opening up with a 2-panel homage/parody of the Fringe TV Show opening credits and symbol (using an overhead shot of my character)... then the rest is tidying up my Fringe/alternate dimension story that I've been running for a while now so that this week I can focus on Halloween with the gang all together again!

Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #59
Stewart Vernon

This Sunday is a last-minute Halloween (sorta) effort since it appears to start last night and continue into today

I kick it off with a non-specific Tales from the Crypt parody intro gag... then the rest of a story is basically Buzz and a prank gone humorously wrong

Old 11-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #60
Stewart Vernon

I got this Sunday's comic posted just under the wire!

No homage or parody this week, although I suppose the whole thing is kind of a Doctor Who time-travel sendup. For anyone also reading my M-F dailies... this Sunday comic fixes a continuity error that occurred this week.