The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Project Showcase

Old 11-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #61
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

A little better this week... a couple of hours to spare for the Sunday edition!

This whole story is basically a homage/parody of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody... or at least as much of it as I felt good about doing in 10 story panels!

As usual, Buzz gets quite a few things wrong along the way, and yet it all kind of works in a warped kind of way

Old 11-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #62
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Another Sunday, another bit of Sunday nonsense...

Kicking off with a 2-panel Pink Floyd The Wall + Nirvana mash-up!

Then the rest is some discussion on wall-building and how awful circus peanuts are...

Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #63
Stewart Vernon

I started this comic strip back on 11/24/2014, the week of Thanksgiving last year. So, today marks the one year anniversary!

I began as a M-F strip, then added Sunday larger editions around mid January 2015. I've done a little more than 300 editions (adding the dailies + Sundays) in that time.

Once I started doing the Sundays, I started posting those here each week and hoping that people who liked what I was doing would check-in and read the M-F episodes.

For the anniversary, though, I'm posting today's episode as well. As it is Thanksgiving week again, I'm doing a homage essentially to my own opening story from a year ago to show a little of how the strip has evolved and expanded over the past year.

Thank you to everyone here for otherwise encouragement in things I've posted... and thanks to anyone who has been following/lurking on my blog or Facebook pages to read the comic strip.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #64
Stewart Vernon

As Tom Hanks might have said back in the day... Sunday, Sunday, Sunday... Sunday Sunday!

The two-panel kick-off puts a new spin on a homage to Jim Steranko and his cover to Hulk King-Size Special (Annual) #1... then the main story riffs on a few things, including Batman somehow!

Old 12-06-2015, 11:42 PM   #65
Stewart Vernon

Seems like no matter what I do, it's always Sunday... time flies... but not my Time Flies... not today anyway

Kicking off with an old-school Mario Bros parody for the opening gag... then a bit of writer's block laziness while also attempting to land a Zero Wing reference along the way!

Old 12-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #66
Stewart Vernon

Today's parody is multi-layered...

The opening 2-panel gag is a Star Wars: The Force Awakens parody BUT makes use of reference to a previous Star Wars movie parody that I did via a dream sequence... then concludes with a crafty segue to Les Miserables that I was kind of proud of!

The rest of the strip is about waiting in line (or not actually) for movie tickets and works a Star Trek reference in just to piss off people on both sides of the fence.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #67
Stewart Vernon

I interrupted my daily "Twelve Days of Christmas" monotony today with something semi-topical. Breaking the monotony with a different kind of monotony!

It seems Star Wars is all that is on the minds of some today.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #68
Stewart Vernon

No homage this Sunday... just twelve story-panels of silent goodness. This is a rare one from me where the art tells the whole story. The idea was borne from something I've been doing in the dailies the last couple of weeks.

Buzz gets to visit the Eiffel tower and the Louvre in Paris! You may or may not be surprised at the outcome...

Old 12-28-2015, 12:09 AM   #69
Stewart Vernon

Another Sunday done... also another 12-panel full story without any particular homage. It is a semi-reference to my being a guest at a comic book convention this weekend, though... with typical Buzz misinterpretation of what is being discussed.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #70
Stewart Vernon

For my convention appearance yesterday, I made some 2.5 in x 2 in character promo cards based on some of my 'Sects comic strip characters to hand out at the show...

Old 01-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #71
Stewart Vernon

I don't normally post the dailies in this thread anymore, with a few exceptions... but it's the first day of the new year.

I'm starting my second calendar year with this strip... and have been at it for nearly 14 months now. Here's hoping to keep things going in 2016!

When is a selfie not a selfie? When it's a souffle!

Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #72
Stewart Vernon

Back to Sundays again... no intro-gag this time, just a full page story. Another cheese gag (been running some of those this week) that ties into a Terminator reference! And to wrap things up, a little bit of a paradox.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #73
Stewart Vernon

Because of David Bowie's passing and how it affected the episode I created and posted today... I wanted to share a non-Sunday episode once again...

I also blogged a bit about this as well, so please check out the blog for the full text of what I had to say.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #74
Stewart Vernon

I've been a little sick this weekend, so my natural laziness kicked in today and I thought... why not use that for a comic strip! No opening gag, but I did end on a Ferris Bueller gag in the final frame...

Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #75
Stewart Vernon

Today's Sunday is largely a homage/parody of Foreigner's song, "Cold as Ice" because it just felt like the thing to do here under all the snow and ice!

It also features just about everybody... all the main characters anyway... not all the minor ones. It's good to figure out a way to work more characters into a bit, especially ones I don't always use as much as I mean to sometimes.