JRXTIN

JRXTIN is on a distinguished road

Can you follow page 1?

Deviant Art
JRXTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #32
JRXTIN

How about this, can anyone follow page 1?

Deviant Art
Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #33
Scribbly
Easy reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBullows View Post
I like the art, but for me the story makes zero sense lol, still, good effort!
Oh, it does. But you need transmute yourself first in order to get the point.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #34
gizroc2

gizroc2 is on a distinguished road

VERY nice work! I like the graphic quality of the pages: They are rendered beautifully.
gizroc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #35
gizroc2

gizroc2 is on a distinguished road

Did you draw these digitally? It would certainly lend itself to this style, where it becomes as clean and accurate to work in white as in black!
gizroc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 AM   #36
JRXTIN

gizroc2 - I drew them in GIMP. I've considered going back to traditional art. It's much faster to draw characters but I don't have a speedy trick for handling perspective. Drawing with a vanishing point that is two or three or more feet off the paper doesn't cut it.

Deviant Art
Old 05-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #37
JRXTIN

I'll be launching a Kickstarter soon since Patreon has proven unpopular. I've been working on a Kickstarter video and I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out. I thought it would eat up a lot of time, and it has, but IMO the trailer is doing a better job of capturing the feel of XTIN than the books have. I think it's important to see XTIN move into the film medium, even if it's just a few shots of a corridor in a Kickstarter trailer. It will be a little more than that, but I can create a lot of atmosphere just with sets and music. If I can get REINCARRION funded I may try to do more with video after it is completed. Let's see what's possible.

If there is anything you want as a reward, let me know.

Deviant Art
Old 05-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #38
TheRealityComics

TheRealityComics is on a distinguished road

The artwork is incredible! And you really get how to layout a page -- and even the captions -- to help take the eye where you want it go. My ONLY suggestion would be that, while your layouts are inCREDibly dynamic, the "camera" angles are very similar from panel to panel. We're pretty much looking forward or from the side. It's a comic, you can move the camera wherever you like. ;]

But really beautiful stuff.

-Keith
TheRealityComics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:07 AM   #39
JRXTIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealityComics View Post
The artwork is incredible! And you really get how to layout a page -- and even the captions -- to help take the eye where you want it go. My ONLY suggestion would be that, while your layouts are inCREDibly dynamic, the "camera" angles are very similar from panel to panel. We're pretty much looking forward or from the side. It's a comic, you can move the camera wherever you like. ;]

But really beautiful stuff.

-Keith
Thanks mate. I've got a book on perspective which disapproves of compositions with odd camera angles. Apparently it's a modern innovation which artists of the distant past would have considered cheap. The author's opinion is that the right way to do it is to keep the viewing angle normal and make the magic happen within the layout of the image. I thought it was silly at the time, but there are lots of good reasons to do it that way. People get lost easy, especially with fantastical works, and I think being mundane with the camera and panelling helps to ground a book which is full of fantastical elements. I don't want this to turn into pop yet, maybe some time in the future. Then things could get more lively.

Deviant Art
Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #40
JRXTIN

Deviant Art
Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #41
MattTriano
Comics Artist

MattTriano has a spectacular aura aboutMattTriano has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRXTIN View Post
Silver dragons carry warriors on ships. Are the ships on top of the dragons? Where are the dragons on this page?

Ships made from nightmares of past lives...is that nightmarish memories recalled during sleep or nightmares that these people had when they were living past lives? Which past lives or does it not matter?

What are Spasmenos? Are they on this page? How about Tyrannophainen? Sorry if these are obv questions. This page is written concisely so I presume this is a recap of stuff the reader should already know by this point? I say that because it's dense (and a more than a little opaque) if this is new info.

I've commented before on earlier pages, still have the same general crit: I read the captions and dialogue and don't have a clear idea what's going on. Almost Biblical (or otherwise ancient) sensibility -- and that's cool there's nothing wrong with that, Mignola is a scientist when it comes to that voice -- but in these pgs I'm generally confused. It feels like I didn't read the manual before operating a machine I've never seen before. I need a glossary of terms just to read a page. And the meaning of some of it I can't work out at all (eg 'IN ORDER TO ESCAPE SUFFERING, THE BUDDHA CEASED TO EXIST'). That's not Buddhism, no one ceases to exist. What do you mean by that?

Nice drawing, clear and well-staged. Hope you get funding to make the book, be sure to tell us how it goes BTW there may be people here looking to start their own Kickstarters or Patreons who could benefit from your experiences.

Post more!
Old 05-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #42
JRXTIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTriano View Post
Silver dragons carry warriors on ships. Are the ships on top of the dragons?
The ships are dragon lairs. The dragons are inside.

Quote:
Where are the dragons on this page?
Mina is with the rest of the group. There are no other dragons on this page.

Quote:
Ships made from nightmares of past lives...is that nightmarish memories recalled during sleep or nightmares that these people had when they were living past lives? Which past lives or does it not matter?
Any nightmare could show up but the exterior of the Nawa ships follow a pattern that suggests their nightmares are mostly about the events of the first book. And/or the silver dragons' nightmares are about that period.

Quote:

What are Spasmenos? Are they on this page? How about Tyrannophainen?
XTIN really doesn't work as a webcomic. This stuff was in the first issue but months have passed since those pages came out. Anyway, the Tyrannophainen are the bad guys, a Spasmenophant is a Tyrannophainen master of the Body Naguil, which is the system of magic people in this story universe use (covered extensively in the first graphic novel). The Body Naguil gives total control over the human body. Spasmenos is what a Spasmenophant makes out of people. Spasmenophants pull people's tissues apart and use them to make the tentacle monster you've seen (which is an extension of the Spasmenophant's body). The people are still "alive" and conscious, but their cells are distributed through the spasmenos.

Quote:

Sorry if these are obv questions. This page is written concisely so I presume this is a recap of stuff the reader should already know by this point? I say that because it's dense (and a more than a little opaque) if this is new info.
Webcomics are a lousy way to read comics, or make them.

Quote:
I've commented before on earlier pages, still have the same general crit: I read the captions and dialogue and don't have a clear idea what's going on. Almost Biblical (or otherwise ancient) sensibility -- and that's cool there's nothing wrong with that, Mignola is a scientist when it comes to that voice -- but in these pgs I'm generally confused. It feels like I didn't read the manual before operating a machine I've never seen before. I need a glossary of terms just to read a page.
The manual is probably the first book - you could get it on my Patreon. After that, this is meant for adult readers. You may have to reread previous parts of the story, look stuff up, put two and two together or talk with other people about what it means. I'm influenced by books like Dune, and cryptic music lyrics. For XTIN I think it's good to have things that are mysterious.

Quote:
And the meaning of some of it I can't work out at all (eg 'IN ORDER TO ESCAPE SUFFERING, THE BUDDHA CEASED TO EXIST'). That's not Buddhism, no one ceases to exist. What do you mean by that?
There are different versions of Buddhism. The XTIN version draws on the Theravedic tradition but within the story some characters believe escaping the cycle of rebirth and suffering means entering a heaven like plane of existance, and others believe it means ceasing to exist.

If I've fundamentally gotten Buddhism wrong after all I've read about it, well, that works too. The character that created the Nawa version of Buddhism had to work out what it had been in the distant past, and wasn't in a sound state of mind when he did it.

Deviant Art
Old 05-28-2017, 05:51 AM   #43
JRXTIN

I tried adding texture to the line art on this one. Do you like it? It blows up the file size which means I've got to compress it more to get under SmackJeeves' file size limit. I tried shading this one but it adds too much to the time. It could be done, but for the time spent there are other things I'd rather have, like the next page sooner. Or more animation. I'm down to touching up shots on the Kickstarter trailer. Just fixing litte things here and there. I've been having problems with swimmies in the shadows. I've been cranking the shadow buffers up to the highest quality settings which runs up the render time. I dunno, I may leave some of them in there. It's not a problem in every shot. Should have this done in a few days. It took more time than I wanted to put into it, but not bad for what it is I think.

Deviant Art
Old 05-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #44
MattTriano
Comics Artist

MattTriano has a spectacular aura aboutMattTriano has a spectacular aura about

Texture in the spot blacks (evident on right side of each pnl) isn't going to be clear to most readers. The ones who see it in this form, because of the repetition, will perhaps think it a mistake or an effect that you've repeated for an unclear purpose. Do you think it works as is? How do you think you would change it to make it work better, if possible?

Your drawing is good. I don't love the current texture, too subtle. One way to move forward: pull back on spot blacks so there's more white on the page -- white you intend to fill up -- with hatching, cross-hatching, grease pencil, spatter, speed lines, fingerprints, drybrush, screentones etc. Use in infinite combinations. Digital equivalents are good and getting better, some scanning may be required. Smaller files, simpler, less work is always the goal.

Use any extra time to play with dialogue, it's the thing I think you need to work on most. Cleaning up what people say so readers aren't getting lost in the new sounds and strange names you're constantly throwing at them. Bryan K Vaughan does a great job of this in SAGA, Neil Gaiman does a great job of this in everything, Alan Moore is a shaman in this regard. Think of how impenetrably dense SANDMAN or WATCHMEN would be without a deft hand introducing radical novelty in a gentle manner. That's your job, I think, in this department.

Can you do me a favor? Could you post a full scene? There are dummies (like me) who might have trouble getting into this content because as I'm seeing it -- two books in and random pages at a time -- the project seems dense and perhaps unwelcoming as a result. Do you have any on-hand examples from this book that really sells the overall idea in a few short pages? Post them.

BTW in a previous post you said you work on gimp but don't love it b/c perspective is hard to do digital (I agree but clip studio has a perspective tool which is dope); said that to say this, most of these pages seem to be set in space or a similar floating void. Can you post pages of your perspectival stuff? I'm sure they're good.

Thanks. Keep going.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #45
JRXTIN

Digital perspective is easy. Traditional perspective is a PITA because the vanishing points are usually feet off the page. Usually at least one anyway. Other than that it's mostly easy. It'd make my head spin if I had to draw a spiral staircase reflected in the water as seen in a mirror, but that doesn't come up every day.

So far it doesn't look like anyone cares for or notices the texture, so I'll drop it.

You can read all of REINCARRION @ xtin.net.

Dialogue hasn't played a big part in this story yet. I've tried writing character driven stories in the past, and that's o.k. too, but this is a big idea story. The characters will talk with each other when the time is right.

Deviant Art