The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 09-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #76
MattTriano
Comics Artist

MattTriano has a spectacular aura aboutMattTriano has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRXTIN View Post
Why does the girl with spiky wings and foreground person with third eye look very different btwn pnl 1 and pnl 3?

FYI pnl 2 closeup of dragon-ie monster is hard to distinguish from pnl 1 and 3 -- black borders and black background and odd head crop and not being set up in first pnl hurts clarity

Congrats on other work!
Old 09-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #77
Rob Norton

12013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTriano View Post
Why does the girl with spiky wings and foreground person with third eye look very different btwn pnl 1 and pnl 3?

FYI pnl 2 closeup of dragon-ie monster is hard to distinguish from pnl 1 and 3 -- black borders and black background and odd head crop and not being set up in first pnl hurts clarity

Congrats on other work!
totally agree with all those points.

especially the BLACK BORDER problem that I mentioned earlier in my other comment some time back. it REALLY hurts the separation of panels and is really confusing.

I still enjoy this project and your passion for it. these issues mentioned just kinda hold it back and its unfortunate.
12013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #78
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRXTIN View Post
XTIN updates are going to be infrequent and irregular for the near and mid future. I'm currently drawing two other graphic novels, probably have a third one lined up, and I'm occasionally doing work as a background artist. I did the background on a Lady Death cover a couple weeks ago. It's not a real big deal but now I can say I've done a small amount on a book a few people have heard of. As things stand now I've got around a 2 year backlog of work. When I get through it I should be in a much better position to work on XTIN, or another book. I'm going to finish up REINCARRION and Spider Princess Haki at least. I think the webcomic format is not good for me though, since I tend to do stories that don't read well via weekly or monthly updates. I don't know what the answer is there, we'll see how things shake out over the next two years.
I've thought about the webcomic topic myself for what I'm doing. My view is that I take the long view. My main goal is completing graphic novels. I do, however, post pages online regularly in webcomic form. I'm not necessarily trying hard to get my work to read well as a webcomic, though. If it does, great, but that's not the ultimate goal. Readers can see the work before it's all collected and printed. This is handy for me because it helps me build up a following as I'm working on the project, and I also get feedback from readers along the way.

If someone brings up something they think could make the work better, and I agree with it, well ...it's REALLY easy to revise things with a webcomic. I don't change the story (at least, I haven't), but I have changed/corrected some aspects of the visuals based on feedback. So, the cool thing about posting pages up on a regularly basis (like with webcomics) is that you can get instant feedback on your work that can help you make your overall product better BEFORE you print it, or whatever you do to collect it. When you post a page online, it isn't set in stone by any means. You can just fix/change something and post it again, no problem. Some readers may see things you don't or have a different perspective that can prove useful. It's also cool to see how fans react to the story as it's unfolding. Like what moments matter the most to them, what characters are catching on, and so on. That can even affect your writing as you go, in a good way (and a bad way, potentially, I suppose).
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote