Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 06-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

8 page cop story

so a few months back a friend asked me to draw a story for him. this was written by James Hudnall. a guy that's been published by the big 2 and some others.

this story is a modern day setting cop story that is a retelling of sorts of the robin hood fable. and English cop hires on in a small town and the sheriff is a corrupt dick.. etc etc etc...

so I agreed to do these first 8 pages with no commitment to any more. but I guess there was some assumption that I would want or be able to draw the whole thing, and honestly, I wasn't interested. doing this real world stuff..with cops and cars and all this stuff..this takes me a LONG time to do. its hard and its not exactly fun. especially if I'm not that interested in the story in the first place. it just wasn't anything that was keeping my attention in the further scripts that I read. and I did this all for free. so..with me having extreme desires to finish my own stuff and not work on something that doesn't really interest me, I told him I wasn't gonna do the rest of it..which again I never said I was going to anyway. and apparently it cost me our friendship because he never wrote me back at all..saying that sucks or good luck or eff off or anything. kind of a shame cause we were working together or almost 6 years off and on by this point.

oh well... ANYway..this is what I did. there is some stuff I like. there at obvious things I fucked up. I have a lot to learn and figure out. but I was really trying here. really trying to do my best.

the basic plot is new cop is introduced on page 1 contrasted with the bad sheriff guy. then the sheriff picks up the new guy and drives him around town showing him the sites and running across some some of the people. it ends with the sheriff trying to have the new guy killed in an "accident". so...give it a look. I hope it makes some sense.

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
Rob Norton

Old 06-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #3
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

P.2 panel 3 looks great... Also I like the sort of expressive lighting and visuals of last few pages. Drawing wonky in spots, but that realistic style is hard to pull off so I sympathize.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
P.2 panel 3 looks great... Also I like the sort of expressive lighting and visuals of last few pages. Drawing wonky in spots, but that realistic style is hard to pull off so I sympathize.
hey thanks sir. yeah its hard..no matter how much I try there is always places where the "wonky" shows up. its a pretty consistent crit that people give me. oh well...ill keep at it and just try to do better as I go.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

I think, imo, aim less at being photo real, and more at developing one's own stylized visual language. I think it's fine as is for non-artist readers, who probably can't even see issues with it. For artists, it's "too close" to realism, without QUITE being there... Whereas if it accepted that it's comic art, and just not worry about realism, it would seem more error free.
If anyone can make sense of my ramblings, lol
Old 06-10-2018, 12:13 AM   #6
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Makes sense to me.
Look at alot of artists that are stylised, Kelley Jones, Simon Bisley, Ted McKeever, etc.
They can get away with alot more. It's more about the 'feeling' and tone than realism.

Finding the balance that you like is the tricky part. If you love realism, then use even more reference.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
TimR

Some of my favorite artists! Even Frazetta, admitted that he didn't have a perfect grasp of anatomy... He cared more about the design and feel of it.
Also... IF cartoonists try to mimic tv n movies, visually... Kind of a losing battle.
But anyway, I think these are strong pages. Sucks the guy got bent out of shape. "Who pays the piper calls the tune.."
Old 06-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
I think, imo, aim less at being photo real, and more at developing one's own stylized visual language. I think it's fine as is for non-artist readers, who probably can't even see issues with it. For artists, it's "too close" to realism, without QUITE being there... Whereas if it accepted that it's comic art, and just not worry about realism, it would seem more error free.
If anyone can make sense of my ramblings, lol
that makes a lot of sense actually. my ultimate goal is not realisim..like Alex ross level or anything. I would like to end up with a fun dynamic style that shows my influences of early 90's comic art but telling stories that re more than just pin up art. MArc Silvestri is actually someone that does that the best when given the right kind of story to draw. and hes a much better artist than some would give him credit for. they would only see the big flashy stuff but not pay attention to the fact that he is actually an incredibly talented draftman in every respect.
I just have a lot of learning to do.

another thing that I think is hurting these pages (beyond my skills in lots of areas) is that like I was saying, I was NOT excited for these pages at all in any way..so I had to find ways to make it fun for me. and there wasn't anything all that exciting to draw. for ME, I want my comics to be full of fun exciting action and adventure that is really well drawn and fun to look at. and books with cops talking to each other..like a movie or tv show..isn't viually FUN to look at or draw. now...a better artist..guys I admire..like Silvestri..or Adam Hughes, or Travis Charest can make anything look amazing.

either way.. I appreciate your feedback, I really do value it.

rob
Old 06-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #9
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Yeah, if you don't enjoy the story, had to spend hours and hours making it look great.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote