Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > General > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 03-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

Modern Comic----Art? (MARVEL Edition)

Thought I'd start a new thread where NEW comic artwork, good and bad, can be explored, dissected and explained. As is evidenced from the thread title and it's location, obviously everything here will be MARVEL or MARVEL related.

My main reason for starting this is to study and analyze the current trends in modern comic-book artwork. There are an awful lot of really great artists on these boards who are not currently being published, but who should be, IMHO, ESPECIALLY judging by some of the artwork currently on display by both MARVEL and DC.

Let's start with artwork recently released for the relaunch of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN due this summer...

Artwork by RYAN OTTLEY
jeffchris50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

That looks really well drawn....and generic, bland and safe also.
Who is the artist (and really, if they are damn good or unique artists, most of us on this site would know them already).

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

OKAY, just read the signature.....WTF?
Ryan Ottley did awesome stuff for Invincible.
Why does this look so bland?

www.sevans.co.nz
Old 03-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans View Post
OKAY, just read the signature.....WTF?
Ryan Ottley did awesome stuff for Invincible.
Why does this look so bland?
To me it looks exactly like the art of ryan Ottley. It looks like the exact same style that hes done In invincible for years now. It just looks like his stuff.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Morganza has disabled reputation

I think this would look better if it was animated for tv, it's kinda boring for a comic.
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

I think the colourist on Invincable was better. I went and had a look.
I think this is alot more shaded and actually weakens his nice linework IMO.

www.sevans.co.nz
Old 03-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12013 View Post
To me it looks exactly like the art of ryan Ottley. It looks like the exact same style that hes done In invincible for years now. It just looks like his stuff.
I agree. It may not be as dynamic as some of husbands invincible work, but he had years to develop those characters. Hes just getting his feet wet with the Spidey universe. Give him some time and it will be as awesome as anticipated.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:14 AM   #8
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

He may be a bit stiff after reading the bible of conventions and rules these licences have for each character. But as Bishop said, give him some time for gaining confidence. This guy can be really surprising.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:15 AM   #9
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I agree. It may not be as dynamic as some of husbands invincible work, but he had years to develop those characters. Hes just getting his feet wet with the Spidey universe. Give him some time and it will be as awesome as anticipated.
Just re-read my post. Obviously Ottley is not my husband. Curse you autocorrect...
Old 03-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #10
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

But you two...just work so well.
Please, give it another try.

www.sevans.co.nz
Old 03-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
Bishop

Old 03-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #12
jakebilbao
jakebilbao@yahoo.com

jakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to beholdjakebilbao is a splendid one to behold

if im not mistaken ryan ottley used to post here long ago(?)

anyway, I love how his works pop out when the incredible John Rauch does his colors.
jakebilbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Yes he did. John Rauch used to post here at DW as well.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:00 PM   #14
Bishop

Yep. The last post I recall from Ryan was him announcing that Invincible had been optioned by a movie studio. That was ages ago.