The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Writer Showcase

Old 12-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Morganza has disabled reputation

Screenplay to comic script???

Has anyone here ever converted or adapted a screenplay to comic format? I'm thinking about doing it, and wondering how many pages an eighty minute movie would translate into comic pages, one page of screenplay is roughly a minute on screen but there are so many moving parts. I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing.
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

From my experience it's pretty subjective. Often times the camera movement/action described in a screenplay may elicit multiple panels in a comic book page, where a page or two of dialog might only take two panels. It really is all in how you interpret the screenplay in your mind and then transcribe it over and layout your pages.

Full disclosure: The only screenplay I've converted was one I wrote myself in college. It was roughly 110 pages, and I made it into a four issue story arc, or 88 page graphic novel. Also, some story points were changed slightly in the adaptation that may have effected length a little bit.

This was probably less than helpful...
Old 12-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Thank you for responding, it is helpful, I just need to figure out how many pages it will be. My screenplay is 83 pages but I am planning on rewriting it, I want to be able to fit in all in a single book without sacrificing a lot, I'm hoping for 64 pages but I have no idea if thats realistic at this point.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I just read a star wars comic, from the first trilogy.
Each film is about 2 hours long, each comic was 60 pages. It hit nearly all the major points of each film.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 AM
SSTiger
This message has been deleted by SSTiger.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Thanks Sevans, I think 64 pages or less is possible, I'm gonna try it later in 2018!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza View Post
Has anyone here ever converted or adapted a screenplay to comic format? I'm thinking about doing it, and wondering how many pages an eighty minute movie would translate into comic pages, one page of screenplay is roughly a minute on screen but there are so many moving parts. I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing.
Then, there you go it.
Eighty minute movie at one page per minute equals 80 pages for a comics book. More or less.
Just go through the screenplay pages and see what stuff suits for one comics page. Then mark the first page as page one. Do the same again and mark it as page two and so on until the end of the script.
On minutes you would have the full screenplay partitioned on pages for a comics book format.
Then start briefing and resuming it as a real comics script.

Last edited by Scribbly; 12-31-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
vinbat

vinbat is on a distinguished road

I'm currently converting what was supposed to be a TV show into a comic, though it was never written past the treatment stage for TV.

Might be helpful to go back to your outline or treatment and work off of that instead of the finished screenplay, that way you aren't worried about page numbers or a run time.

You could write a very brief (1 or 2 sentence) breakdown of what you would want on each page, and see how many pages it takes to tell your entire story.
vinbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Thanks Scribbly, I'll do that!

Thanks for your help Vinbat.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
paul brian deberry
is a MASShole

paul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to beholdpaul brian deberry is a splendid one to behold

I make a few bucks a year converting screenplays into comic scripts. It's fairly easy stuff.

Scribbly touches on the major point. Every minute of the screenplay is a page of the comic. With most comics you have to pick out the key points of each page. The hardest part (like most scripts) is the dialogue.

I once did Reservoir Dogs. It was hard as shit.
P.B.DeBerry is a writer/letterer of words, soup enthusiast in Massachusetts with a talent for over thinking. This bio took him five hours to write. You can read more from P.B. at.. fisticuffswriting.com
paul brian deberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
ctrop99

ctrop99 is on a distinguished road

Iím currently converting my 93 page sci fi screenplay into a comic. I take about ten pages of the script and convert them to 22-24 page issues, with the exception of the 28 page first issue because I need to get all the exposition out of the way. Ive gotten lucky that since my script is short at 93 pages (yours is even shorter), so adapting 10 pages of the script at a time into each issue captures the inherent story breaks well. So basically it doesnt feel like im cutting in the middle of a scene between issues, because my film script is short.

So iíve plotted out my script will be an 8 issue limited series of 160 plus pages in total. I recommend using the old desktop version of celtx, you can just copy 10-15 pages of your film script into it and then edit it. Its extremely tedious and difficult, because half the time the translation from film to comic means you have like 15 panel pages that you need to split into 2/3 pages. Thats why im adapting 10 pages at a time, to give room for that.

Its alot of hard grueling work, but its rewarding. It can be done, but i dont think its likely you can get it down to 64 pages withour cutting story out. If you keep everything from your story itíll probably be over the 88 page film script length.

Glad to hear someone else is thinking about doing what im doing so i dont sound crazy, haha. If youd to talk about it more feel free to PM me!
ctrop99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Thanks for the info, I use celtx so I think I'm set on that end, Thanks again!

Good luck on your comic!