The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
JeffW.
I always finish what I st

JeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of light

Captain america nazi propaganda poster

Or guess to be more specific it's a "Anti Captain America" poster.

And yes, I was highly inspired by KMFDM album covers.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
midknight
Armando Batista

midknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nicemidknight is just really nice

awesome composition!
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
jeffo46
BANNED

jeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to alljeffo46 is a name known to all

Awesome. I love this. It has a combination of WW II propoganda with a Steranko vibe to it. Well done !
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I love the look and feel of the poster .... BUT you have the Captain in a herioc pose and some nazi's looking angry and slightly evil at the foreground.

For an "anti" poster, captain is being portrayed in a very flattering way, and the herioc soldiers who are fightinh for their furher aren't coming off so good.
If you can get what I mean.

Maybe catain america needed to be posed in a different way, with "evil" lighting on his features. The image that comes to my mind is the Chernabog from Walt Disneys Fantasia.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Co.Inkadink

Great! Wonder-bar! I really like it!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

sevans makes a good point. I noticed the unflattering Nazis too and it made me curious to see some of their real prop. posters to see how they were portrayed --- probably cooing and petting bunnies, lol. Or more likely strong and manly, but not evil.

But all the recreation elements are really good, colors, style, type, weathering.

Curious if you could show samples of any prop. posters you looked at that most inspired this look you got?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
JeffW.

JeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of lightJeffW. is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I totally agree with that assessment and I did think about that about half way through. I kinda rationalized it like Cap was the monster that was keeping dear sweet Germany down and these soldiers are the brave men who were going to stop him. That's why it says "the villain" at the top. But yeah you are right, according to Nazi propaganda posters, they were swell guys.

My main inspiration for the art style on this was actually KMFDM album covers:
Check them out:

http://www.google.com/search?q=kmfdm...=1792&bih=1062
Old 09-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Jasen Smith
jasenstation.com

Jasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud ofJasen Smith has much to be proud of

The German shooting shoots worse than a GI Joe.

Quote:
It's not the successes that count, it's how you bounce back from the failures.

~Fred Duran
Jasen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
Mcd91

Mcd91 is on a distinguished road

Right, looks pretty decent. Being German I'd like to give you a pointer for the line below. It should read: Tötet Captain America für das Vaterland.
Mcd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
JeffW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcd91 View Post
Right, looks pretty decent. Being German I'd like to give you a pointer for the line below. It should read: Tötet Captain America für das Vaterland.
Thanks for the tip, just curious, what exactly does my poster translate to?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Mcd91

Mcd91 is on a distinguished road

Hope you like grammar

Well, German can at times be a bit difficult. You used the infinitive of 'to kill' in German, which is 'töten'. Verbs are conjugated in German, according to the pronoun, which in your case refers to the second person plural personal pronoun which is 'you' in English and 'ihr' in German. The conjugated verb for the second person plural personal pronoun is 'tötet', therfore the change. In English it makes no difference as the verb in the simple present is only conjugated for the third person singular personal pronouns 'he/she/it kills', all others remain in the infinitive.
As you used an imperative in the plural you wouldn't make a distinction in English, kill remains kill, but in German the verb has to be adaptated.

In English it is motherland, in German fatherland.

So basically it is clear what you wanted to express, only slightly off in grammatical terms. Usually I keep my mouth shut, but you did such a tremendous piece here, so I thought it deserved a little input to keep the high standard. I hope you are okay with that, don't want to come across as a know-it-all.
Mcd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
astromerc

astromerc is on a distinguished road

Well it still looks really cool, despite the mixed message. Great Job!
astromerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
JeffW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcd91 View Post
Hope you like grammar

Well, German can at times be a bit difficult. You used the infinitive of 'to kill' in German, which is 'töten'. Verbs are conjugated in German, according to the pronoun, which in your case refers to the second person plural personal pronoun which is 'you' in English and 'ihr' in German. The conjugated verb for the second person plural personal pronoun is 'tötet', therfore the change. In English it makes no difference as the verb in the simple present is only conjugated for the third person singular personal pronouns 'he/she/it kills', all others remain in the infinitive.
As you used an imperative in the plural you wouldn't make a distinction in English, kill remains kill, but in German the verb has to be adaptated.

In English it is motherland, in German fatherland.

So basically it is clear what you wanted to express, only slightly off in grammatical terms. Usually I keep my mouth shut, but you did such a tremendous piece here, so I thought it deserved a little input to keep the high standard. I hope you are okay with that, don't want to come across as a know-it-all.

My mind is officially blown!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
JeffW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen Smith View Post
The German shooting shoots worse than a GI Joe.
Ha! Yeah GI Joe and Cobra from the 80's cartoon are the worst marksmen of all time.