Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Max Romaine
Artist, musician, lunatic

Max Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really nice

Max Romaine Art Dump

First new art in a long time. Hope you like. Comments and whatnot welcome of course.

It's a little crooked, I know. Scanning error. I don't own a scanner yet so I have to rely on other generous souls.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Metalni
wise man said...

Metalni has a spectacular aura aboutMetalni has a spectacular aura aboutMetalni has a spectacular aura about

Nice work!
Perhaps, you need to add more details on her dress... (like a face)
Metalni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Max Romaine

Max Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really niceMax Romaine is just really nice

Thanks! Glad you like it. The dress doesn't have much detail because she lives in a hot desert environment so their clothing is much like the light cotton robes people wear in middle eastern countries.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Wow. These eyes are amazing.

My guess is that with such face and hands her upper arms and shoulders should have
some traces of sag skin and more bones.
Her chest area could suggest her ribs cage as well.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Max Romaine

Thanks Scribbly! Yeah, I noticed that after the drawing was finished. She's not quite skinny enough to have chest bones showing, but she is very old and I should have added more age details to the rest of her.

BTW Metalni, I got to thinking about your comment about the dress being kinda lackluster while looking at some old renaissance art and it gave me some cool ideas on how to improve things visually without going out of character. Thanks a second time!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
badapple
Aiming For Perfection

badapple is a jewel in the roughbadapple is a jewel in the roughbadapple is a jewel in the roughbadapple is a jewel in the rough

I agree with all that was said above. Just to add, Awesome job with her face and hand.
badapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
JAM

JAM has a spectacular aura aboutJAM has a spectacular aura aboutJAM has a spectacular aura about

Looking good! Looking forward to the rest of the Art dump!

JAM,...................................
JAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Max Romaine

Thank you, sir! I actually have a bunch of new art I want to post, but my scanner died and I'm having trouble finding another that I can afford. I'd love a large size Mustek that can handle 11 x 17 but I don't have $200 right now.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
Max Romaine

More art! Finally conned a friend into scanning stuff for me.

First, an ink commission for a friend, his concept.

This is a drawing I did for fun of Flo the Progressive girl phasering the "Geico Gorn" in the head. I was bored.

A quick pencil drawing of a rogue type fantasy character I created.

Hope you like! More to come!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Max Romaine

The Skull Warrior drawing looked so good in it's frame I thought I'd share.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
mlpeters
Artist/Writer

mlpeters will become famous soon enoughmlpeters will become famous soon enough

Not bad at all, Max! I don't think the top one needs any more detail on the dress - - she's older (60-ish?), so her face isn't smooth, but that doesn't mean her dress has to be wrinkled, or tight enough to show ribs... Open space isn't a bad thing.

The top pic, to my eye, has a slight Kaluta feel, in the inks. The Skull Warrior reminds me a little of Tim Truman, or Tom Yeates... like something they'd do for a TSR RPG, back in the day.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

I checked out your art galleries on deviantArt and Photo Bucket. You have some nice pieces in your collection.

There's not much in the way of comic book art there, unfortunately, and there's a total void of superhero artwork, regrettably.

You seem to pretty much avoid detailing in backgrounds, but in the few pieces featuring the cat and the mouse, I saw some speech bubbles and special effects lettering that I liked - which is just on top of your portrait type renderings, of which there's several nice examples.

All in all, good stuff, just not enough on display, particularly for an artist of your caliber.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Max Romaine

Michael: Thanks for the kind words! I didn't think open space was necessarily bad, either. Not familiar with Tim Truman's work. I'll have to check him out sometime.

Charles: Thank you! Glad you like my art, sir. It's not that I dislike doing backgrounds. I actually enjoy drawing trees, landscapes and old buildings. But I don't feel the need to put a background in unless it somehow positively accents what I'm drawing, particularly with a portrait or character study. In such a case, I feel the character is everything and a background, unless it enhances the presence of the character in a way that their countenance alone cannot, isn't really needed. Sequentials are another matter, of course. You are absolutely right about the lack of sequential work (save for the Ellis D. comic) and that's one of the reasons I'm working on the project I'm doing now. Hope to have those ready to show in the near future.

However, the lack of superhero related work isn't accidental. While I love the sequential art medium, I stopped caring about superheroes by the time I was twenty. I'm forty-one now and, while I respect what the creators of superhero books have done for the comics world, my tastes have moved on.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Co.Inkadink

That skeleton warrior is fantastic!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Romaine View Post
Charles: Thank you! Glad you like my art, sir. It's not that I dislike doing backgrounds. I actually enjoy drawing trees, landscapes and old buildings. But I don't feel the need to put a background in unless it somehow positively accents what I'm drawing, particularly with a portrait or character study. In such a case, I feel the character is everything and a background, unless it enhances the presence of the character in a way that their countenance alone cannot, isn't really needed. Sequentials are another matter, of course. You are absolutely right about the lack of sequential work (save for the Ellis D. comic) and that's one of the reasons I'm working on the project I'm doing now. Hope to have those ready to show in the near future.

However, the lack of superhero related work isn't accidental. While I love the sequential art medium, I stopped caring about superheroes by the time I was twenty. I'm forty-one now and, while I respect what the creators of superhero books have done for the comics world, my tastes have moved on.
Understood, Max.

I think that, for myself, the thing about superhero artwork that I like the best is not so much that it deals with super powered characters, per se, but that the genre provides a nice showcase of visual effects that tends to be neglected in other genres.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote