Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community > DW Group Project

Old 07-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #16
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

100% whatever for me. I'll twist things to my taste anyway.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #17
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

so it seems people are mostly leaning towards the Public Domain characters.

but what should the THEME be?

Alien invasion? for a sci-fi vibe?

paranormal threat? for a ghost and horror type vibe?

super villain threat? for traditional superhero fun?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

SSTiger will become famous soon enough

The thing with public domain characters is that a lot of them are from a lot of different settings that may not necessarily gel with each other. Putting Sherlock Holmes deducing things and and Mowgli talking to animals in the same story is unlikely to work well.

My suggestion would be that we stick to FANTASY public domain characters, and use a single kingdom/land as a domain, which comes under attack by an external force (the INVASION idea) and then each creative team picks their characters and tells the story of how that particular character deals with the threat in their part of the land.

For example; The Kingdom of <#We'llpickanamelater> is under attack by some sort of energy creatures (can be something else). The Kingdom is home to characters like Beauty and The Beast, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Nemo (DIBS), The Big Bad Wolf, The Seven Dwarfs, etc. who all live in different places of the same country. The whole place is under attack, like Chitauri from the Avengers movie type attack.

If that is set up as the opening framing device, from there, everybody picks up the narrative for their own character(s). You can bring your own twist to the character you pick as well. Maybe Little Riding Hood herself was the wolf, and the animal was a Split Personality of her own mind? Something like that, entirely up to you.

After each character deals with the threat individually, maybe they come together to deal with the main "Flying Fortress" or whatever? Sort like a "Fables" meets "Fairy Tale Avengers" type deal for the conclusion.

What do you guys think?

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
SSTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #19
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTiger View Post
The thing with public domain characters is that a lot of them are from a lot of different settings that may not necessarily gel with each other. Putting Sherlock Holmes deducing things and and Mowgli talking to animals in the same story is unlikely to work well.

My suggestion would be that we stick to FANTASY public domain characters, and use a single kingdom/land as a domain, which comes under attack by an external force (the INVASION idea) and then each creative team picks their characters and tells the story of how that particular character deals with the threat in their part of the land.

For example; The Kingdom of <#We'llpickanamelater> is under attack by some sort of energy creatures (can be something else). The Kingdom is home to characters like Beauty and The Beast, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Nemo (DIBS), The Big Bad Wolf, The Seven Dwarfs, etc. who all live in different places of the same country. The whole place is under attack, like Chitauri from the Avengers movie type attack.

If that is set up as the opening framing device, from there, everybody picks up the narrative for their own character(s). You can bring your own twist to the character you pick as well. Maybe Little Riding Hood herself was the wolf, and the animal was a Split Personality of her own mind? Something like that, entirely up to you.

After each character deals with the threat individually, maybe they come together to deal with the main "Flying Fortress" or whatever? Sort like a "Fables" meets "Fairy Tale Avengers" type deal for the conclusion.

What do you guys think?
I can see that as an idea. tho I wonder if people might be more interested in a classic superhero concept. all the PD characters I looked up and are interested in are in the superhero/crime type stuff genre...
Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 PM   #20
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

Quote:
I wonder if people might be more interested in a classic superhero concept.
That's possible and I have no problem going in that direction. Are there enough superheroes in the public domain for everyone if we go with that?

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
Old 07-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #21
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTiger View Post
That's possible and I have no problem going in that direction. Are there enough superheroes in the public domain for everyone if we go with that?
well...from all the characters I looked up...not all of them are exactly "superheros" but they can all work in that genre together... like I was saying.. crime related characters, mystery guys, heroic guys in tights, I don't see why they cant all work together. they don't all have to exist in the time frame they were created in...they can and should be moved into a modern world, remade a bit/altered by the creators that use them to be a new version that will do what we need them to do.

at least...that's what I think could/should happen.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #22
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Agreed, if we are to use Public Domain characters, they should be used and updated.

www.sevans.co.nz
Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #23
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

This is what I think. First, we should make a list of these PD characters for everybody to know what are the characters available to work with.
Maybe just a link to the site where these characters are already listed.

Each participant should pick one or two or more heroes/ superheroes and work out his own self contained story.
Working on team or individually.
Making his own free version of the characters he/her may choose. As long the basic characteristics and MO of each character are respected.
As we did with Hellboy. The character's foe, enemy, villain should be also a free choice.

If two or more authors are picking up the same character/s it should be OK.
The nature of the danger or catastrophe these characters are facing and their story resolution, all this should be up to each author.
The possibilities could be unlimited.

This could be very fun.
Superhero Mash!
Domain Mash!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #24
Rob Norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
This is what I think. First, we should make a list of these PD characters for everybody to know what are the characters available to work with.
Maybe just a link to the site where these characters are already listed.

Each participant should pick one or two or more heroes/ superheroes and work out his own self contained story.
Working on team or individually.
Making his own free version of the characters he/her may choose. As long the basic characteristics and MO of each character are respected.
As we did with Hellboy. The character's foe, enemy, villain should be also a free choice.

If two or more authors are picking up the same character/s it should be OK.
The nature of the danger or catastrophe these characters are facing and their story resolution, all this should be up to each author.
The possibilities could be unlimited.

This could be very fun.
Superhero Mash!
Domain Mash!
this is basically what I was thinking would work. the only think I was hoping we could figure out was SOME kind of thru line that connected everything..like the portal for Hellboy. its not needed ...as this idea by SCRIBBLY would totally work on its own.
but if there was some kind of "connective tissue"..i keep going back to the Heavy Metal movie, where that glowy whatever thing showed up in every story. something that connected them all. if anyone has a good idea, I think it would be fun to see if we can fit that into the project.

but beyond that, I think this idea that SCRIBBLY just described is the way to go.

rob
Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #25
NatMatt
Are we having fun yet?

NatMatt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12013 View Post
this is basically what I was thinking would work. the only think I was hoping we could figure out was SOME kind of thru line that connected everything..like the portal for Hellboy. its not needed ...as this idea by SCRIBBLY would totally work on its own.
but if there was some kind of "connective tissue"..i keep going back to the Heavy Metal movie, where that glowy whatever thing showed up in every story. something that connected them all. if anyone has a good idea, I think it would be fun to see if we can fit that into the project.

but beyond that, I think this idea that SCRIBBLY just described is the way to go.

rob
Personally, I think we should definitely consider going with Scribbly’s idea. I’d be on board if we’re working like that. As for connecting these stories, my two cents on the matter is to maybe treat this mash-up of the public domain characters as one continuing scenerio. Think one big giant battle with many different viewpoints going on at once. For example, one character can be in the center of it all while another will be on the sidelines. So one team or individual can be working on one part while another will tell the other. They could even begin to connect to one another. The only real problem I could see with this would be that there will have to be a lot of careful planning and collaboration involved so it’s just an idea for now.
NatMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #26
SSTiger
sahithstiger@gmail.com

^What would be the specifics of that, is what Rob is putting to the poll.

I got nothing in that particular context. Although... aren't there some beings from the Wildstorm universe that supposedly traverse the Bleed, invading and conquering other realities? I don't remember what they're called (it's like six in the morning and I'm too lazy to look it up) - maybe they could be our villains?

Sample Script
Writer Portfolio

sahithstiger@gmail.com
Old Today, 02:21 AM   #27
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

How about the Marauding Trumposaurus?

www.sevans.co.nz