The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Sleepbringer
Earthbound

Sleepbringer will become famous soon enough

Recognize this artwork?

I put an ad out for a project we have written, looking for a penciler to draw a few pages. One of the people replying was a Jeff Henzel. This is the note he sent and a link he gave me to look at his stuff:

Hi there I noticed your posting and wanted to see if the job is still open
,please take a look at a few of my Illustrations, I only do
pencils
and inks however, no color.
Any questions, let me know.
Jeff.
http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n468/liveink_2008/

and another piece he said he had done recently.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=18852

Does anybody recognize this artwork? It looks like either Michael Turner stuff or someone with a very good similar style. Jeff insisted that he be paid %50 up front for the work i needed, which got me wondering if this was legit. I asked to see some sketchwork of my characters, ya know, just to see his designs so far, and he refused. I canceled the deal. This was a month or so ago.

Yesterday on CBR, I found this column by a Brit in which there was a guy named Jeff Henzel pretending to be Art Adams' agent. Read it for yourself:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=18852

When you look at Jeff's other posts here on DW, you see he is advertising the fact that he has actual Turner sketchwork and what not.

Anyone else been nearly scammed or actually scammed?
Sleepbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Scott Story
www.johnnysaturn.com

Scott Story has disabled reputation

Looks like it's traced from Carlos Pacheco, to me.
Scott Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

Or Francis Manupal or Andy Parks.
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
MARS
Alien Technologist

MARS is a jewel in the roughMARS is a jewel in the roughMARS is a jewel in the rough

I would say Mike Choi over @ TopCow/Marvel.

M.
MARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Scribbly
Lazy Reader

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

I don't know who he is but he is dammed good...

Wait! Got it:

Mike Choi from X23: Target X from Marvel.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Eva1

Eva1 will become famous soon enoughEva1 will become famous soon enough

I recognized one of those drawings immediately as a rip/trace of this:

www.KelliGilbert.com
Eva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
mattchee
This message has been deleted by mattchee. Reason: redundant
Old 11-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
secret-identity
Not a member of DW

secret-identity is a name known to allsecret-identity is a name known to allsecret-identity is a name known to allsecret-identity is a name known to allsecret-identity is a name known to allsecret-identity is a name known to allsecret-identity is a name known to allsecret-identity is a name known to allsecret-identity is a name known to all

what a douche!!
Glad you caught this guy.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Eliseu Gouveia
Suteki Da Ne

Eliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to allEliseu Gouveia is a name known to all

It really boggles the mind.

There´s only six bazilion legit, hardworking artists in these forums and yet you guys insist in hiring these douches.

Do you really hate your money that much?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Justice41
Piss Off

Justice41 has disabled reputation

Looks more like he got a hold of the original pencil scans and just posted that as his own. Just look at this finished drawing.
Justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
jimmybott
jimmybott.deviantart.com

jimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of lightjimmybott is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, Definately Mike Choi's work.
jimmybott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
JMan

JMan will become famous soon enough

I like where he says that people don't treat him professionally once they realize he's not Art Adams.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
MARS
Alien Technologist

MARS is a jewel in the roughMARS is a jewel in the roughMARS is a jewel in the rough

This is where i say all of you cats (writers/creators) looking and perusing for talent on DW and the internet in general need to get your asses up and out and go do some conventions so you can actually MEET and SEE people who can actually DRAW for a living that you indeed to court and hire.

As a freelance talent i personally want to meet my employers because i have the same fears that all of you do with getting the "burn". And i am not talking about an STD.

It's insane comedy at it's finest. If anyone buys into this dude's nonsense they are indeed a sucker and deserve to be hustled.

But with all that said...This dude needs a serious throat punch.

M.
MARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
The DarkMind
(aka) Gulapocalypse

Location: Trapped inside the head of the infamous Timothy Gula
The DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud ofThe DarkMind has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia
It really boggles the mind.

There´s only six bazilion legit, hardworking artists in these forums and yet you guys insist in hiring these douches.

Do you really hate your money that much?
I think its more like people falling for the idea of having "someone that draws like Mike Choi" working on their book for the price that's quoted.

Ya know, that whole "too good to be true" saying

Those that bought into the whole scam of dealing with Art Adams' agent and not thinking of following up through other routes to verify the legitimacy before sending any money... well they are just plain dense and deserve to be smacked.
The DarkMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
NickGuy
I miss my daughter

NickGuy is a glorious beacon of lightNickGuy is a glorious beacon of lightNickGuy is a glorious beacon of lightNickGuy is a glorious beacon of lightNickGuy is a glorious beacon of lightNickGuy is a glorious beacon of lightNickGuy is a glorious beacon of light

hahaha i love it when guys like this get caught.
NickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
mattchee

mattchee is on a distinguished road

The whole sting operation... was pretty shocking to see that Rich could take it that far without the guy having a clue.

But, by far, my favorite moment was when he said

"Oh and by the way, your way to obvious with your offers so we won´t be doing any bussiness.

That´s why I gave you any old address I could come up with.

Nice try."

riiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhhhhht.

The really scummy part, too, was when he admitted to lying about being Art Adams, but his excuse was that it's tough to get ahead without a name. So... somehow that makes it okay to take a name that someone worked their asses off to make, and use it for yourself? I mean. That's totally devils advocate there, I'm pretty sure the dude's motives were pure scam. But his whole defense was "I'm not THIS kind of jerk, I'm THAT kind of jerk."

Sad that this stuff goes on.

By the way... I'm Jack Kirby... no really, the REAL Jack Kirby-- maybe you've heard of me. No matter. Anyway, I'm sorta between gigs, looking for some side work. Yeah. But, I'm going to need all the money 100% up front...
mattchee is offline   Reply With Quote