The Talent Engine

Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 05-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

DIGITAL WEBBING PRESENTS 2.0 (We're baaa-aaack!)

Digital Webbing Presents,
our very own homegrown
anthology, is returning!

Many (if not most) of you are familiar with DWP and the roster of established and new talent who have graced it's pages. Not to mention the guys who had some of their earliest work published in DWP and are now "rising stars". Guys like Yildiray Cinar (Legion of Super-Heroes, Ravager, Noble Causes), Mahmud A Asrar (Siege: Young Avengers, Atom, Nova, Dynamo 5), Ryan Ottley (Invincible, Haunt) and Kody Chamberlain (Sweets, 30 Days of Night: Bloodsucker Tales, Beowulf) to name a few. Go check out a list of creators in DWP here.

DWP 2.0 will be taking advantage of current technology to publish as first-run digital content on mobile devices like iPhones and iPads, as well as online. Options for printed editions/collections are being discussed as well.

We're looking for quality work, the kind of work that built the reputation that had editors from the big boys sending promising creators to DWP to "get some real work under their belts." We'll need both short stories and serialized stories. Shorts or chapters should be in the neighborhood of 8 pages, content should be PG-13 at most.

I'll be helping Ed run things so you can ask questions here in the thread and one of us will answer you.

So, anyone interested?

Last edited by Kel Nuttall; 05-02-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Kel Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
arseneau77
Lebowski Urban Achiever

arseneau77 will become famous soon enough

Kel, is this going to be standard format pages or landscape/webcomic style?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Kel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really niceKel Nuttall is just really nice

Hey, dude! I've been working under the assumption we're talking traditional print format. That would work better for potential print collections down the road. Final decision would come down to Ed, he's the publisher. (I guess I'm Editor or Editor-in-Chief or something?)
Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

And everyone please spread the word!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
arseneau77
Lebowski Urban Achiever

arseneau77 will become famous soon enough

Oh well, if it does turn out that Ed wants to go with landscape formats, Darkwalkers is available (although that might be pushing the PG-13 thing for violence). I had planned to do it as a series of three or four 8-page 'chapters' anyway. Just throwin' that out there

Also, with Zuda having just announced their cancellation of the competition format, there's probably a lot of high quality 8-page pieces floating around out there in that format. Just something to think about maybe...

Either way, great idea and super pumped to hear that DW presents is back!! I'll probably try to assemble a team to pitch something once we know for sure about the specs.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Cool.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
Mark Bertolini
Scum of the Earth.

Mark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to beholdMark Bertolini is a splendid one to behold

I'm interested. I'd love to get something into a DW book, it's been something I've always wanted to do.

I have a project under way right now that might work. Is there going to be a proper set of submission guidelines?

Very cool idea, Kel. Is Ed sort of letting you take the ball and run with it?

-Tom Waits
Mark Bertolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
Ron Phillips
Are you terminal?

Ron Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond reputeRon Phillips has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see it back, with you to boot. It'll keep you busy on those long cold Alaskan nights.

Buy Ron's Books - on Amazon Kindle

Flash Fiction Friday - A community writing project

Shotgun Honey - a blast of fiction to blow your mind

Home | Twitter | Facebook |MySpace
Ron Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Kel Nuttall
DWP EIC & BMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bertolini
I have a project under way right now that might work. Is there going to be a proper set of submission guidelines?

Very cool idea, Kel. Is Ed sort of letting you take the ball and run with it?
Official submission guidelines will be forthcoming. Sometime in the next couple/few days. Once it was decided to go for it I wanted to get people talking and gauge interest.

And I'm not too sure just how far Ed plans to let me run! But I really wanted to see it come back and I missed to group effort of it and he's just too dang busy to wrangle everything and everyone on his own.

Thanks, Ron! I know I just signed up for a lot of stress but i think it'll be fun too.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
William Blankenship
Inconsequential Nobody

William Blankenship is a name known to allWilliam Blankenship is a name known to allWilliam Blankenship is a name known to allWilliam Blankenship is a name known to allWilliam Blankenship is a name known to allWilliam Blankenship is a name known to allWilliam Blankenship is a name known to allWilliam Blankenship is a name known to allWilliam Blankenship is a name known to allWilliam Blankenship is a name known to all

I've wanted to do something for Digital Webbing Presents since I first started haunting this site. Hopefully that will be possible. Just team me up with Jamal. He knows how to wrangle me into submission.

3!LL
Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
dmh_3000

dmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nicedmh_3000 is just really nice

Sounds great, would love to get in on this.

Will you be giving more details on the process with the submission guidelines (How many pages each team will be showing, will the stories be creator-owned or bought by DW, stuff like that).
dmh_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
MrGranger
I'm really Richard Corben

MrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the roughMrGranger is a jewel in the rough

I think it's a great idea. I love my old copies of the DW1 series.
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #13
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to beholdSteven Forbes is a splendid one to behold

Count me in for something.

I just have to figure out what that something is! (So many stories...)

And if you need any editorial help, you know where to find me.

-Steven
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #14
j giar
Has nothing to add.

j giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud ofj giar has much to be proud of

Yesss!!!
Panel continuity and storytelling should be the primary objective of all GOOD comic book art.
j giar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #15
Jason Copland
Charlie Brown of Comics.

Jason Copland has a spectacular aura aboutJason Copland has a spectacular aura about

I pretty much have decided to no longer do anthology stuff... but I can see myself saying yes to the right DWP story. Ed, Kel and DW are all da bomb!