PDA

View Full Version : I really don't know...

DamonX
10-30-2006, 08:12 PM
As a new writer, I will be looking to collaborate with an artist sometime in the near future. The goal is to submit to smaller comic publishers or self-publish i.e. ComiXpress, and I'm not sure if I understand the entire creation process.

First question: Assuming we will be publishing in B&W, is there more required besides pencilling, lettering, and inking? I remember seeing a couple of threads on matting - is that the same as inking or is it another part of the artistic process in which I am not familiar?

Second question: who handles what duties? Does the penciller also handle lettering and inking or do I need to fill these positions separately? (I guess it depends on the pay, too, huh?)

Thanks so much.

theflash
10-30-2006, 08:55 PM
writing, or even getting pencils done is so tip of the iceberg with regard to making comics. there's a ton more to do. you need the following just to get the comic completed and to the printer:

script
pencils
inks
colors(if you go there)
letters
paste up (this is where you make the files the right size, format, and order so the printer can use them.)

once you are ready to print, you have to decide how many to print, where to have them printed, how they will get to your destination etc.

once you get comcis in hand...then the fun starts. you have to network, market, pound the pavement, and more to get your comic out there and into the hands of the people you want reading it. and if you have the drive, while you're doing this step for the comic you just printed, you're probably back up at the top of the list starting all over on the next issue.

as to who does what, that all depends. some letterers do paste up, some can't, or won't. every printer asks for slightly different files and such so it's a good idea to figure out what printer you want to use fairly early. that will tell you what you need to do paste up wise. my advice, get good with photoshop and illustrator and be conversant in all things comics so you can do at least part of the steps yourself. if you don't you are then dependant on others to do it for you and that can be stressful to say the least.