PDA

View Full Version : Are you still going to SDCC with new Pricing?

4-9-studios
08-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I was just wondering if the HUGE price jump from $65 for the 4days to $100 for the 4days is gonna stop anyone here from going to Comic Con next year?!

I heard many different versions of the story of why the upped the price, but I'd really like to hear if from Comic Con and really understand why they did it. I'd like to think that a portion of that money will go to the new expansion of the Convention Center, but its doubtful.

What do you think?

Emperor Zurg
08-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Link please?

4-9-studios
08-02-2009, 11:14 PM
There isn't a link for Registration yet, I heard about it on the last day of Con. Fans at my table were talking about it.

Phatman
08-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Since things sell out so fast, I don't understand why they haven't increased prices before now. I think it would still sell out if it went to $200 for a 4-day pass.

We'll see.

Mecha
08-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I was told that by two people from CCI at the pro reg counter actually. It could end up between $100 and $140 for a 4 day pass next year.

NaveenM
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
I thought they were selling them there on Saturday (after 4pm) for $100 for the 4-day pass.

That price is more than worth the money.

This year's pricing encouraged people to buy up the 4-day passes even if they were only going for two or three days. It would be nice if they priced things to incentivize attendance, as opposed to just purchases. Especially since the passes are not transferable.

Oh yeah, the other rumor I've heard is that they're capping attendance at 100K next year. True?

4-9-studios
08-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't see why they'd do that? Use what you can, people know how crazy and crowded it is each year, that should be their problem not CCI. Not sure if any of you saw the fire Marshall walking with all of his men. They were really on top of crowd control this year.

Also, Would you care if Comic Con moved when the contract is up(LA, Las Vegas)? :cry:

The Anti-crest
08-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't see why they'd do that? Use what you can, people know how crazy and crowded it is each year, that should be their problem not CCI. Not sure if any of you saw the fire Marshall walking with all of his men. They were really on top of crowd control this year.

Also, Would you care if Comic Con moved when the contract is up(LA, Las Vegas)? :cry:

I'd love it if it moved to LA because I could stop buying a hotel room in san diego when I go. It would cut my costs greatly.

And if they know they are going to sell out, why not make as much money as possible by charging more?

Phatman
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM

This seems to come up every year...

Yeah, the convention center is too small as things are now. Upping the prices and capping attendance are two ways of dealing with that.

If this show moves to Vegas in late July, Shamus or Reed Exhibitions will put a con in San Diego to directly compete with CCI---guaranteed. The locale (San Diego) is superior and there are too many pluses of a show there IMO. I think CCI would wither and die in the desert heat in under 5 years. Vegas has never been able to maintain or draw for a comic book convention---why would this change? The sight of cosplayers passed out all over the strip from heat exhaustion would be worth some entertainment value, but the desert temps, expensive hotels and unfriendly family environment would be the end of the show.

LA or SF are viable options, but CCI already has two cons in the bay area and LA/Anaheim is already booked with tourists (even more than SD). I'm not sure either of those CA options are viable for the size of the show anyway.

NaveenM
08-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I've heard (trust that as much as you will), that CCI's current contract with the city is only for two more years. Vegas is on the table as an alternative if things don't work out with SD.

Personally, I'd hate to see it move to Vegas. It's a totally different city, with a very different vibe. San Diego is much more suited to Comic Con. In Vegas, there's always so much else going on. In SD, when CCI comes, the Convention Center area and Gaslamp district are completely taken over by the Con.

And the location is a lot better for the big media types who are coming from LA.

Plus superior whether.

L.A.?...meh.

robbdaman
08-03-2009, 10:18 PM
I could care less about the big media types. 15 years ago the show was about comics, not the media whore circus it's become. If they do raise the cost to $100 or more that'll be a 300% increase of cost from 15 years ago too. Neither Origins ,GenCon or WesterCon come close to costing that much. And if the prices go anywhere near $140 only World Fantasy, World Horror and WorldCon comes close to the price but those are the largest Sci Fi/Fantasy Conventions in the world. If they think that changing the name to Comic Con International means they can jack the price up double that's pushing the limit.

NILgravity
08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I've felt my time could be better spent than going to comic con for a while, the price just enforces that.Too crowded and too movie centric. Besides, Every time I've seemed to have gotten my foot in the door there I've fucked it up, so I'm not going to bother.
That sounds worse than I intend to. I haven't give up on comics. I've just given up on trying to get work creating other people's comics. I won't be back until I have a complete book to pimp.