PDA

View Full Version : If anyone ever needed to be haunted...

Mark Bertolini
06-07-2010, 08:29 PM
It's this douchebag.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/07/swipe-file-frank-frazetta-and-nicholas-bockelman/

Rogue_Agent
06-07-2010, 11:53 PM
The artist, Nicholas Bockelman defends the work by saying, "This is not a copy. This is not Frazetta’s orginal image. If you actually look at his you will see distinct differences in color hues and values. The background is also different in subtle ways. So I dont believe that is illegal or unethical."

Mr. Bockelman should take a look at what happened when Erró (an artist of modern popularity and notoriety) was publicly confronted by comic book artist Brian Bolland for a similar offense, HERE (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/20/brian-bolland-takes-on-erro-and-wins/).

What Bockelman is attempting is frankly laughable. It looks to me that he is far too talented to sell himself short by feebly plagiarizing other artist's work. His energy would be more wisely spent developing original works opposed to burning energy defending actions that will ultimately do nothing more than become a source of embarrassment, and blacken his professional name.

Lightfoot
06-08-2010, 07:56 AM
So basically it looks like he wants people to search for Frazetta art on the Fineartamerica site and either buy this print by mistake or buy it as they simply don't care it's a blatant copy and is so similar to the original that nobody can tell the difference. There are other artists on there trying to make capital from the Frazetta search word and it is a very sad and desperate attempt to sell prints.

Vittel
06-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Superman would never do something like that...

Evan Henry
06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
What a bastard.

JimCampbell
06-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Sadly, Frank is no longer with us, but I'm sure someone still represents his artistic estate, so perhaps it's worth bringing this shyster to their attention.

After all, Brian Bolland has recently tackled another shameless plagiarist (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/20/brian-bolland-takes-on-erro-and-wins/) in fine, feisty style with considerable success ...

Cheers!

Jim

Biofungus
06-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Um, not to veer too far off topic, but how is that a "win" for Bolland? The agent said they would turn over the rest of the copies to Erro. So? Then Erro could turn around and sell them directly for even more money! That's not much of a "win" in my book...

Rogue_Agent
06-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Um, not to veer too far off topic, but how is that a "win" for Bolland? The agent said they would turn over the rest of the copies to Erro. So? Then Erro could turn around and sell them directly for even more money! That's not much of a "win" in my book...

In short, the legitimate art world doesn't operate like a grade school playground.

Erro was publicly confronted and called a rip-off artist--a very serious accusation. Instead of denying it, his agent removed the prints from sales. This is a clear admission of guilt. This, in turn, will no doubt have a negative bearing on Erro's reputation, and the value of his work. As it should. So Bolland did "win" by making his point clear and known without having to spend a ton of money hiring lawyers to do his dirty work for him. Good for him.

When you have a small market that deals in very expensive art works, people tend to scrutinize every bump in the road. These bumps will effect the value of the artist's work, and standing within the art community.

Mark Bertolini
06-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I just don't get the mindset of someone blatantly aping someone else's work, producing it publically, and not expecting to get called on it.

Just seems lazy and stupid to me.

Paul Sanderson
06-13-2010, 11:07 PM
It's laziness and greed rolled into one.

Biofungus
06-14-2010, 12:46 AM
It's laziness and greed rolled into one.
graziness?
leed?

YoMonkeysMyB*tch
06-14-2010, 01:24 AM
But, but...he's like a cover band who gets paid for singing other people's songs, right? :huh:

;) :laugh: