PDA

View Full Version : TETHER: Issue 1 promo cover

neuralclone
10-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Here is a promo version of the Tether: Issue 1 cover. Learn more at www.tethercomicbook.com

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/293/b/9/tether__issue_1_cover_by_islesquaredcomics-d6r8i24.jpg

eDuke
10-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Looks good, but dude, you gotta get that text off her foot. I recommend you toss both up there under the Isle2 logo box.

Charles
10-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Yeah, eDuke is right about that. Both names being on the same line is a less important visual consideration than her foot.

There is a good bit of white space between the rock and that isle logo. However, I would suggest placing Chuck's name beneath her foot, with the same amount of space between the name and that foot as is the case with RC's name and the other foot.

Then, maybe add something of visual interest between the logo and the rock.

neuralclone
10-27-2013, 07:15 AM
Based your feedback, I made some adjustments. Is this better?

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/300/5/9/tether__issue_1_cover_version_2_by_islesquaredcomi cs-d6rzcwr.jpg

Charles
10-27-2013, 08:03 AM
No. It's not better. It's worse, in fact.

neuralclone
10-27-2013, 08:18 AM
No. It's not better. It's worse, in fact.

Ok... why do you feel it's worse?

I kinda like this one better because like the tether leading up to the asteroid the logo is vertical, seemed fitting. Also I think moving in a little closer on Alina puts emphasis on her while eliminating dead space.

Charles
10-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Because, you now obscure more of your artwork than you did, compared to when you had only her foot covered with text. Now, you've got that monster font overlaid onto your rick outcropping.

Plus, that floating thing at the top right is now partially obscured. Before, it was only a few toes that were lost to the human eye. Now, it's points of actual visual interest.

Additionally, now you have gone to the other extreme, instead of an area of empty white space below the logo, you've now committed the visual sin of making that same area look cramped by that big letter "T" that also impedes on the rock.

Instead of toes being obscured, you've towed the viewer to a place of increased visual clutter, at the expense of the the vista that previously dominated the scene.

This is all without taking into account how your placement of the names across the top on that same horizontal line, in conjunction with the new monster text placement, has resulted in the human eye being drawn upward, rather than forward, in the direction that the girl is facing.

Of course, in the top image, the monster text there overlaps the floating thing, also. Why not tether it a tad higher on the page?

In the first image, your use of text at the bottom helps to provide visual balance, insofar as text placement on the page is concerned. Ultimately, it's all an exercise in white space balancing, anyway.

If you just move Chuck's name below her foot, it will help to create the visual impression that she is stepping froward - forward toward something. Like paving blocks, the two names at the bottom are one in front of the other, just as her feet are.

Notably, the text at the bottom of the page in the first image doesn't look bad. Rather, all that is wrong with the text at the bottom in that particular image is that one name was placed directly over her foot/toes. Rather than use a visual scapel to redress the problem, you resorted, instead, to grabbing the equivalent of a visual sledgehammer. You resorted to major visual change, in order to correct a relatively minor and quibbling problem.

It's overkill, but not overkill that improved the overall page. That's just opinion of one, however. Others may prefer the new page. I'm just not one of them.

neuralclone
10-27-2013, 04:01 PM
I see some of your points. What do you think of this one?

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/300/e/a/tether__issue_1_cover_version_3_by_islesquaredcomi cs-d6s1bac.jpg

Steven Forbes
10-27-2013, 04:23 PM
No.

Logos are at the top of a book for a reason.

Go into any comic shop. What do you see? More than likely, you don't see the entire cover. You see the logo, part of the top of the cover, and then right below it, you see another comic and its logo.

Instead of listening to the advice people are giving you, you're just hearing the "no," and then you're putting the logo of the book willy-nilly, with no thought whatsoever put into design.

The design of this is ugly. It's equally as bad as the previous attempt.

Listen to what people are telling you. The first one was okay, except for the names on her foot.

Take their last names only, and put them under the company logo box. Do this for the first image.

Your cover is now done.

Magnus
10-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Do as Steven says, but keep the placement of your heroine like you did with that last attempt.

In attempt #1, she's too far away and too much to the right.

:M:

Steven Forbes
10-27-2013, 04:57 PM
I have to disagree.

The second image is too close. Putting the logo there obscures the central figure and more than likely that satellite.

The first image is fine, but yes, you could bring it in some so that it's just below the logo.

Max Romaine
10-27-2013, 07:18 PM
The cover looks pretty good. I just have one issue with it. It's pretty obvious you've got the famous Raquel Welch poster from "One Million Years B.C." in mind while coming up with the concept for this. That's fine and I'm not saying using something like that as inspiration is a bad thing, but if you're going to do that, personally I'd like to see a little more than just a copy of the original. Almost everything about that girl is taken right off the poster aside from a few small details; the chain on her neck, your girl has no footwear. Nothing wrong with it exactly, but a little more imagination would have been nice.

Also, a little more coloring detail in the sky would look really cool. The clouds are nice but the plain blue is a little lackluster.

Overall a nice job, though. Good work.

neuralclone
10-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Here is yet another version. I am limited by the angle and framing of the existing image, plus I have to be mindful of the bleed areas... but I think this one captures the better elements of the three while utilizing the existing open space.
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/300/f/9/tether__issue_1_cover_version_4_by_islesquaredcomi cs-d6s2l0x.jpg

Steven Forbes
10-27-2013, 08:26 PM
No.

See how simple that was? :)

neuralclone
10-27-2013, 08:42 PM
No.

See how simple that was? :)

Does that mean I get the Steven Forbes thumbs up? :D

Steven Forbes
10-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Go back to my first post in this thread, and then answer that question. :)

Moonrider
10-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Why not make it simple. Take the last cover design and combine that with the image from the first alternative. The book title should not be on top of the logo, but instead put it besides the logo. Enlarge the title a bit to give it more impact. Never try to make the title curved on top, because you'll be wasting a lot of space. On the creators names, I know you think it's kind of clever to put the first names like a shadow over the last names, but really it looks bad. The creators names should be on top of the book title, but it might work if put directly underneath it.

Basically, just go with the conventions. Don't break the rules unless you understand the consequences.