PDA

View Full Version : 'CAGER Puerum de Terra' Webcomic First Episode is Live!

JamesNathan
07-10-2014, 06:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FC5G9cv.jpg

Hello everyone,

I have just uploaded the first episode of my very first webcomic on Tapastic (http://tapastic.com/series/CAGER-Puerum-de-terra).

CAGER follows the story of Cager Sinn, a cut throat, thieving, generally all around unpleasant man in the American Wild West in the late 1800's. But this 19th Century America has a little bit of a science fiction twist to it...

I decided to do this webcomic very much all of a sudden as I've been saying that I'm going to do one for sometime now. So it was finally time I got on with it.

I hope to keep CAGER updated as often as possible, every few weeks or so I imagine.

So for now, here is episode one of CAGER Puerum de Terra : An Introduction.

You can subscribe on Tapastic through Facebook by clicking the SUBSCRIBE button to the left of the comic and the 'Sign up with Facebook' button. (http://tapastic.com/series/CAGER-Puerum-de-terra)

I'd love to hear what people think of the comic, so if you have the time to, then please throw me some critique or comments!

If you're stuck for things to say then here are some things you can say:
"Whoa this comic is the best comic I have ever seen"
or
"Jeez I can't believe it, this is the most coolest thing ever, I'm going to quickly go tell my close friend who is the boss of Marvel about it".

Or whatever.

Thanks!

James Nathan

Charles
07-10-2014, 12:43 PM
All things considered, thumbs up.

The art is effective at accomplishing the underlying task, which is to visually convey the story being told. The story-telling aspect is very good, especially at the very end.

But, the art style, itself, is what keeps me from loving what I am seeing - but, it's a style which fits the mood, and taste and style can and do vary widely from individual to individual. The art style has a really gritty feeling to it.

I would want to turn the page, and to continue reading, if there were more to read. I suspect that if you continued to produce it, then it might very well acquire a following of its own.

JamesNathan
07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Hey Charles, thanks very much for the thoughts.

The art style is gritty yes and I imagine that some people may not be into that. The idea with this project is also to develop my style as I'm very new to comics.

Well I'm glad that you would want to turn the page. Thats definitely encouraging! New episodes will follow eventually so hopefully you'll still be interested by then!

Thanks again for the reply!

engcheedraws
07-11-2014, 05:08 AM
The comic is looking great. Some things I'll like to point out though so your next pages can be even better.

A general rule of thumb when it comes to drawing characters and backgrounds is to use different line thickness. Usually characters are drawn with a thicker line while backgrounds are drawn with a thinner line. This helps to separate the figures from the background and suggest space. Why? Because essentially the image that we draw is flat, by varying line thickness, we can suggest a space between foreground, midground and background. If everything followed a similar line thickness, the entire image will feel flat. Compare your last panel with the ones before where the bg is present. In the last panel, you did it right with a faint thin line for the mountains while the figures stand out with strong thicker strokes. It looks so much better and easier on the eyes as we can distinctly tell the figures apart from the bg.

You can also plan for your layouts/composition of panels to avoid some problematic areas. For eg, in the panel where we see the man deliver the line" this interrogation...", you had the man standing in front of a cactus which runs straight down, in line with his legs. This creates a bad silhouette because the eye is inclined to think that the cactus is shooting out from the guy's back. You can avoid this problematic area by shifting the position of the guy or cactus so that the silhouette reads better.

That being said, I really enjoy the use of negative space and dirty gritty visuals. It serves the story well. I especially like the last panel where you used the black smoke as placement for the title and the visuals were done right.

The comic works really well in black and white. Not sure if minimalistic colors will further enhance the visual storytelling but I suppose you can always explore to see if it works. The difficulty of black and white artwork is in "spotting the blacks" and colors might help to pull you out of a tight situation when the need arises.

Overall, a good start, beautiful art and keep up the great work.

JamesNathan
07-29-2014, 04:12 AM
Hey engcheedraws, thanks for the advice.

Yeah this is something I've figured out as I've gone along, it's like depth of field in comics. It does make a massive difference.

Ah ok yeah, I will make sure to bear that silhouette advice in mind, thank you!

I am tempted to use colour but it just takes that little bit longer. I think I will definitely give some simple colours a test though, as I think you're right about that.

Thanks very much, appreciate the help!

Max Romaine
07-29-2014, 06:26 PM
This is very good! I really like the loose style of the art. Definitely want to read some more. Nice work! :D