PDA

View Full Version : 'The Hunter' - A Four Page Short

CalumClark
08-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi there! I've attached a link to a four-page short that I recently advertised for on Digital Webbing. It was written by myself and illustrated by the incredibly talented Michael P. Heneghan.

You can find it here: http://calumandersonclark.tumblr.com/

The comic will serve as part of a larger collection of four page, twist ending comics that I'm currently working on.

I hope that you enjoy it!

gummahfan
08-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Wow, I absolutely loved it. The art style is amazing and it really felt like fun children's book. The ending is very touching and it works in context, but I feel that along with your artist, you could make a great children's short story that has really large mass appeal.

Also, you may want to post the images onto the forum page itself so it's more accessible. That way you can get a bit more exposure for those who are a bit click-frugal

James Mulholland
08-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Very nice. It reminds me a lot of a 4 page story I put out about 2 months ago -http://Shortstories.webcomic.ws/comics/16/

Beautiful art work.

crognus
08-08-2014, 10:03 AM
I love the artwork, although I think I would have felt more emotionally distraught if it was the young girl who was battling cancer. Is the man her father or grandfather?

Charles
08-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Really well done, and on so many levels.

It is a mastery of brevity. Here, we have a story, told from start to finish, in a relatively short amount of space. But, we have brevity within brevity. Minimal narrative. Minimal dialogue. Yet, we have a story that makes sense.

It is also a demonstration of how you can have a very colorful comic, without plastering pages with the neon range of colors just blobbed down making a comic visually unbearable. Pale colors, but very colorful. It's very easy on the eyes.

The comic quickly gets the reader engaged in the story, but at the end, the tale gains new significance, new emotional attachment.

Comic books are, in essence, storytelling in segments. The first three panels aren't muddled with bogged-down story-telling. In the space of a mere three panels, the reader learns that the character has been a doctor, an explorer, and is now a captain. Note the brief segments - one panel for the first two, and the third leads us into the main tale for this comic. No full page or several pages are needed to set the stage. Boom, boom, boom - we're there. The job gets done, swiftly, and we are ff on our own adventure, as reader. We're fully engaged, both visually and mentally.

No elaborate amount of set-up is required to get us directly into the meat of the matter. The villain makes its entrance. We even learn the origin of the villain, but at the very end, in the very last panel.

It's just solid story-telling, from my perspective.

And, the lettering? It's effective. It's legible, which helps things enormously. There's good visual contrast, nice emphasis, and the special effects lettering is well showcased. Again, all in the span of a few short pages.

Compare this four-page comic to what you will find on IndyPlanet, where independent comic book creators have a great bounty of sub-standard and deficient comic book offerings on display (although, there's some decent stuff on there, also).

This is a good example of how to engage the imagination of readers, and to retain their attention as the story progresses, and to leave them wanting more.

CalumClark
08-11-2014, 08:16 PM
I really appreciate the thorough feedback, Charles. Thanks, too, to everyone else who was kind enough to comment on the work. Hopefully I'll have more to show you all in the coming months!

AmitMosheOren
08-22-2014, 02:41 AM
It was nice, but the thing which bothered me the most was that somehow I knew that this is what's kind of going to happen in the end. I don't know why, but it just did. In the overall this is a good short comic book, however I think it could be done better.