PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding selling prints of colored work

Durakken
04-11-2019, 07:17 AM
The question is simple... Am I allowed to sell prints/posters/stickers/etc of pieces of work that I have colored, but did not do the original line work on without explicit permission?

Or rather what is the standard? Because I know the copyright is basically "maybe" with most of these types things. I've looked and can't find the answer to this.

L Jamal
04-11-2019, 11:27 AM
If you didn't do all the art and don't have permission, then don't sell prints of it.

04-11-2019, 04:39 PM
The question is simple... Am I allowed to sell prints/posters/stickers/etc of pieces of work that I have colored, but did not do the original line work on without explicit permission?

Or rather what is the standard? Because I know the copyright is basically "maybe" with most of these types things. I've looked and can't find the answer to this.

you could partner with other artist that are not pros (like myself) and work out a deal where (if you think said artist is good enough to work with and be beneficial to you) you could color his work and sell prints of that...while at the same time, the line artist could sell prints of the same colored work himself. there fore you both benefit.

its not the same as selling a print of a bad ass picture you colored that was drawn by Joe Mad or Jim Lee, but its much easier to do.

anyway, just a thought..

Rob

sevans
04-11-2019, 06:59 PM
You need permission.
As a colorist, you are not considered the ARTIST even if you did alot of work.
Just look at comic book credits. Writer, Artist, Colorist, letterer etc.

PLUS if they are disney owned characters...watch your ass, they like to sue.

Scribbly
04-13-2019, 01:21 AM
You need permission.
As a colorist, you are not considered the ARTIST even if you did alot of work.
Just look at comic book credits. Writer, Artist, Colorist, letterer etc.

PLUS if they are disney owned characters...watch your ass, they like to sue.

And they like to fire as well. Means, discontinue somebody as artist. Means, they wont need your work/ collaboration, call you anymore.
Very difficult to get in. Very easy to get out.