PDA

View Full Version : my comics journal

Pages : 1 [2] 3

chris stevens
05-04-2008, 02:25 AM
yeah man, they had those sections set up. and they were better produced and more prominent i guess. as far as the editors i'm just going off the badge titles i saw. at least two said editor of something. no big deal, like i wrote it wasn't a con-explosion for me that day. but i did expect more out of random house and other book companies set-ups...although the book company section had a blue carpet that was easier on the feet for sure so that's something to be said for them.

chris stevens
05-04-2008, 10:48 PM
more stuff that sustains, don't want to dwell on my bored con experience...

art! it's the reason we all are here. here's some stuff that i have varying attachments to and desires for...

masashi tanaka's 'gon', a delight since the dc/pirahna press(paradox press?) imports mid/late 90's...i'd love to see tanaka's art at its original size as opposed to the digest versions which, outside of dc's 'color gon' special, are the only way i've seen him. but he's a beast. flawless storyteller with a deep obsession in lines. i'm glad he's rich, or i guess i'm guessing he is and know he deserves to be. it's a goal of mine to get him to do something for 'jungle jane'.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1281/gonbin8.th.gif (http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gonbin8.gif)

eternally fun book for me. i don't think any artist has suffered as greatly by the limitations of their time in reproducing the art and coloring it correctly as arthur adams did throughout most of the 1980's. the black and white virtuosity, something that honestly never entered my child's mind back then first reading this comic, doesn't grow on trees. arthur deserves some sort of remastered comprehensive volume of his 80's stuff. which was done from the tender ages of 20 to 27! i could go on and on, and most likely i will...

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5769/s20winter20fun20adventuca6.th.jpg (http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s20winter20fun20adventuca6.jpg)

'for i am indifferent to their fate.'
the king at glorious full-strength...there's a majesty you can't fake...i see kirby, in his chair drawing full of joy and contempt with a wife and kitchen to fill and need and jack kirby WAS galactus, and sometimes he was the surfer, sometimes reed richards...sometimes galactus was this huge tower of angels robed in the historically royal purple of kings, the purger of souls, devourer of worlds, and when he needed the silver surfer it struck me as a beggar tearing ceasar's sleeve during the rush of the crowd...but there's kirby the great creator, and in his wake, a piece of purple cloth made into myths and great heroes like the weak norrin radd transformed as an opposite balder with galactus' mistletoe no love but servitude. but kirby's heroism, the great shining reason an almost accident like the surfer excites kids today and marches to the tune of millions is that cosmic reckoning jack kirby put down month in month out which rang as true and loud as the tales of all the great storytellers from homer to shakespheare and disney. i joke with my friends, with our style of black humour, that the only time i take pride in being a jew(i'm agnostic believing we're all god and religion makes good stories and i was raised by single jewish women who are jewish but we had easter bunny candy and i went to bible school and we lit hanuka candles while hanging angels on christmas trees to me it's all a story) is when i think of jack kirby and bob dylan. gaiman, too.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6807/bigg2hp0.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bigg2hp0.jpg)

chris stevens
05-10-2008, 07:52 PM
this was the first year i was eligible to vote for the eisner awards. here are my selections. i'll admit i was kind of limited in that i honestly didn't read all that many books this past year. so i left some categories blank. but it gives me great pleasure to vote for brandon graham and jae lee, who i both think should win their respective categories hands down, and for james jean, who's approaching todd klein-like dominance in the awards department. this will be the last year i think we'll see james' covers for awhile as he moves into other worlds so in appreciation of the staggering amount of beauty he's brought to the racks these last 6 years i hope he wins again. and the px! guys, whose work i enjoyed right here on dw, it's great to see them receive recognition for what is really a delightful kids comic. the eisner's are a long way away's from the the sequential forum so cheers to you, fellas.
and yes, i voted for myself and for 'postcards'.

Total Votes: 22 of 29 Cat # Category Nominee

0001 Best Short Story 'blue', by chris stevens and gb tran, in
'postcards' (random house)

0002 Best Single Issue or One-Shot 2. Delilah Dirk and the Treasure of
Constantinople, by Tony Cliff (self-published)

0005 Best Limited Series 2. Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born, by Peter
David, Robin Furth, and Jae Lee (Marvel)

0007 Best Publication for Kids 3. Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 and Mouse
Guard: Winter 1152, by David Petersen (Archaia)

0008 Best Publication for Teens 1. Laika, by Nick Abadzis (First Second)

0009 Best Anthology 4. Postcards: True Stories That Never Happened,
edited by Jason Rodriguez (Villard)

0010 Best Digital Comic 4. PX! By Manny Trembley and Eric A. Anderson,
www.pandaxpress.com

0011 Best Reality-Based Work 1. Laika, by Nick Abadzis (First Second)

0012 Best Graphic Album--New puplhope, by paul pope, adhouse books

0013 Best Graphic Album--Reprint 3. James Sturm's America: God, Gold,
and Golems, by James Sturm (Drawn & Quarterly)

0016 Best Archival Collection/Project--Comic Books 4. Daredevil
Omnibus, by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson (Marvel)

0017 Best Archival Collection/Project--Comic Strips 1. (The Complete)
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend, by Winsor McCay (Ulrich Merkl)

0018 Best Writer 2. James Sturm, Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow
(Center for Cartoon Studies/Hyperion)

0019 Best Writer/Artist

0020 Best Writer/Artist--Humor 3. Brandon Graham, King City
(Tokyopop); Multiple Warheads (Oni)

0021 Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team 3. Jae Lee, Dark
Tower: The Gunslinger Born (Marvel)

0022 Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art) 3. Bryan Talbot,
Alice in Sunderland (Dark Horse)

0023 Best Cover Artist 2. James Jean, Fables (Vertigo/DC); The
Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse); Process Recess 2; Superior Showcase 2
(AdHouse)

0024 Best Coloring 5. Dave Stewart, BPRD, Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
Cut, Hellboy, Lobster Johnson, The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse); The
Spirit (DC)

0025 Best Lettering farel dalrymple, 'omega the unkown', by marvel comics

0028 Best Comics-Related Book 4. Meanwhile . . . A Biography of Milton
Caniff, by R. C. Harvey (Fantagraphics)

0029 Best Publication Design 5. Process Recess 2, designed by James
Jean and Chris Pitzer (AdHouse)

--

i'm editing my first book! i've talked about editing a lot with my pal jason rodriguez but we both agreed it was probably not the thing for me. but the right project comes across your virtual desk and man i'm excited to be getting into it. too early to get into details but i can say it's a fun, bang-for- your-buck kind of comic and we've got arthur adams locked in for the first issue cover. not a bad start!

--

on the bathroom floor: finder 'the rescuers' tbp --catching up with carla mcneil's continuingly brilliant and criminally overlooked series. she brings her world to life with such dense teeming verve you just know that things are happening between those covers even when you are not reading.

song of the minute: ghost on a jitney, by juggernaut drunk.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=115010607&MyToken=31d3cb14-aa10-4e9f-8a8f-5319d7313d83

which, for some unknown reason these guys need to explain to me, isn't on their playlist here...but checkout the equally excellent 'the seagull' and 'soda pop days'. if charles bukowski grew up in atlantic city and had rock and roll music in his veins he might have written songs like these. spot-on observations and ruminations on life here on our little island.

--

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3404/1191514044rd9.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1191514044rd9.jpg)

the kid in me wants this so bad i'd come to your house and rob you for it. anyone got $6500 to lend me?

Critters Daddy
05-11-2008, 01:42 AM
HOLY SMOKE! That may be one of the top ten coolest things I have ever seen...I'll go in for ten bucks if that will help you out!

chris stevens
05-15-2008, 02:53 AM
well, it's late and i can't sleep and am well past the point of productivity so here's a dose of old-fashioned bitter reality, dw style...

two projects( and it's late so i might be missing one) from 'dw' creators were nominated for this years eisner awards...the panda express 'px!' guys and jason rodriguez's 'postcards'. outside of the shit i type in here i haven't seen a single 'congrats' or 'good for you guys' or 'that's cool' or even 'your book sucked you didn't deserve it!'.

not one.

and i'm not even surprised. this isn't about a pat on the back, and it's not aimed at the folks who read this when it gets posted and have reached out and said 'hey' through various means;you're all appreciated and you know it, and i try my best to reciprocate and not waste anyone's enthusiasm.

it's not even an indictment of the site and the general mentality. it's an observation and it's sad. i can't speak for the other guys but i really don't need anyone here to shine my shoes. i am firmly in control of my comix destiny. i've got stars in my eyes and constellations spilling off my tongue. pyramids started brick by brick, comics panel by panel, so just whether you're a slave or a worker, whether your fingers bleed or burn, your knees bend or buckle, your will races through anxiety or cowers behind capes...it's all up to you.

so do what you do, it's your choice. so choose.

chris stevens
05-16-2008, 03:25 AM
anyone with moral issues over downloading can skip past this entry...

one of the cool things about being poor in this day and age is that if you can get a fast wi-fi connection you can be entertained. here's what i've downloaded over the last few days...

music:

eddie vedder, into the wild
bob dylan, tree with roots the complete basement tapes
john frusciante, the will to death
the black angels
soundtrack to 'i'm not there'
martina topley bird, quixotic
martina topley bird, the blue goddess
chris cornell, solo acoustic in sweden
radiohead, entire discography
pj harvey, entire discography
verve, entire discography
red hot chili peppers, bloodsugarsexmagic
rolling stones, beggars banquet
pearl jam, live at the gorge 7 cd set
pink floyd, dark side of the moon
django reinhardt, djangology
portishead, third
nick cave, dig lazarus dig
the posies, frosting on the beater

most of them i've bought and lost to mooching friends and moves. the dylan set is so fucking hard to find i waited 14 years to hear some of those songs. and it was worth the wait.

movies/documentaries/cartoons:

what happened to kerouac?
10,000 b.c.
horton hears a who
iron-man
aliens vs. predator requiem
gi joe: arise, serpentor, arise
speed racer
smurfs season one
the mindscape of alan moore

i originally bought the kerouac documentary on bootleg vcr tape at the henry miller museum in big sur. lost to mooches. the gi joe, can't wait to watch that. from 8 to around 12 gi joe was probably my favorite thing in the world.
i'm guessing 10k bc and avp2 get watched on a rainy day and deleted. iron man rocked. and i'm very much looking forward to speed racer, hope it's a ball of fun. and the smurfs! la-la-luh-la-la-la, la-luh-la-la-la!

chris stevens
05-18-2008, 02:04 AM
"to me there is no past or future in art.
if a work of art cannot live always in
the present it must not be considered at
all. the art of the greeks, of the egyptians,
of the great painters who lived in other times,
is not an art of the past, perhaps it is more
alive today than it ever was."

-pablo picasso (1923)

j giar
05-18-2008, 10:34 AM
"to me there is no past or future in art.
if a work of art cannot live always in
the present it must not be considered at
all. the art of the greeks, of the egyptians,
of the great painters who lived in other times,
is not an art of the past, perhaps it is more
alive today than it ever was."

-pablo picasso (1923)

That is sweet. First time I've ever heard or read it.

chris stevens
05-22-2008, 04:10 AM
glad it struck a chord, jim.
it's dead-on truth but a tough fucker to live within.

the poet t.s. eliot, great as he was but no hero of mine, had another look at the same way of thinking...by nature eliot was less confident and sure than his contemporay picasso, and, great as he was as 'man of letters' of his time, there's a fear and uncertainty running through the best of his poetry that instead of strengthening resolve and illuminating true character of man turns towards an intellectual sort of cowering...which, i guess, does just as fine a job of talking true on even the best of us; contradictions abound, choose the next step carefully, with little hope of not falling...

"but to apprehend
the point of intersection of the timeless
with time, is an occupation for the saint--
no occupation either, but something given
and taken, in a lifetime's death in love..."

from eliot's poem 'the dry salvages'

as for picasso, he certainly was no saint. but this amazing man issued almost as many great quotes as he did works of art...

one of my favorites, which, truth be told, rings of the apochryphal...and i paraphrase here...

"if i was born a soldier, i would have become a general.
a priest, a pope.
but i was born a painter, so i became picasso."

the zenith of self-ultimacy.

--

throwing off all the coats of wintering and knees growing out of joint, only paul pope occupies this peculiar space in comix history. frank miller, too.
but both are names now and discussing in depth their particular brand of mastery is beyond me and the 1001 so-called comix acolytes of cbr, newsarama, journalista...if i type in heide's name will she google towards inclusion in the 'beat'?...

...more than likely wake up to weigh her mention versus the slaves of the moment, all cool at the same time in the same fashion yet still turned off by one another. apathy branded minus a mark; only you can see!

i've got pictures, let's see if this prints...

chris stevens
05-25-2008, 05:35 PM
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5731/americandragonme4.th.jpg (http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=americandragonme4.jpg)

that's from 'american dragon', a new project of mine with the lovely and talented weshoyot alvitre. i'm not one for comix hyperbole but wa(as i call her)is headed for comix stardom and i'm happy to be along for the ride. she's done some stuff for archaic, won a 'my chemical romance' contest, and had a gorgeous pin-up in 'umbrella academy' # 6. the above isn't completed but heck the project's got me all kinds of excited so i'm throwing it up here as is.
'american dragon' is kung fu noir infused with world mythology--'iron fist meets the sandman'. more as it comes...

--

hope everyone's having an enjoyable memorial day weekend. i live in a shore town so it's a swamp of tourists who possess a strange sense of entitlement. but memorial day weekend has taken a strong place in my heart as i get older; i consider my grandfather's ww2 experience and the long-reverberating effect it had on my little family, a ghost trailing chains, you can't see anything but you hear it. you feel it. and it was a few years back, over a memorial weekend, that jae lee agreed to work with me. that got the ball rolling for me. i'll never forget the circumstances, each and every instance of the situation.

and yesterday, over this new memorial day weekend, an artist of my dreams, a guy whose work i greatly admire and am indebted to, agreed to work with me and help flesh out my 'dream compass' book so that it can be the book i've imagined it to be. the thrilling shock of worth and realization of potential caught fire in me all the rest of the day.

it's been a good weekend.

JamieRoberts
05-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Wow. That is one positive post, Chris! The art is stellar (and I never say stellar). Seriously, from that one image, I would purchase the book.

And working with your dream artist? Christ, that's gotta be a great feeling. Ride that tiger, Mr Stevens!

chris stevens
05-28-2008, 02:38 AM
it is indeed a great feeling, jamie. thanks! happy to see you dig that 'american dragon' pic i posted.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnb8qmbA-lw

funny little vid from the nyc con last month...there's a classic moment in there. the good-natured cackle belongs to the guy doing the taping, my friend and partner, matt, who hadn't seen farel in 2 years i think and was eagerly waiting to break his stones. i'm the dude with the hat on.

L Jamal
05-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Damn you and your positivity... don't you know comics are about being surly, disspointed, and ripping people off (or being ripped off)? :D

Be sure to let us know when your projects drop, so i can rush out and grab them.

j giar
05-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Always heartwarming to know that uber-talented people suffer from pitsweat.

chris stevens
05-31-2008, 08:52 PM
just saw this during a lap around internet-land...

THE SPIRIT Blog #9

TO MY READERS

Much has been the fuss in the comics' blogosphere about my SPIRIT movie—much justified, much hoped for, and much to my delight, that there has been a fuss at all. Some comics readers are terrified that THE SPIRIT will be a retread of my SIN CITY. Others quarrel over the change of the SPIRIT'S traditional blue hat, mask, and jacket, to black. These are understandable concerns for any lover of Will Eisner's masterpiece. I take this opportunity to address these concerns. With glee, I take this opportunity.

THE SPIRIT is, with every effort I give it, not a rusty, dusty old monument to the work of my beloved Mentor, so much as it is an extension of what I know to have been Eisner's central intent: to create something new, witty, and exploratory. That's what he did. That's what I'm doing.

It only resembles SIN CITY in that I am its director, and, well, yes, I have my ways and my proclivities. Luckily, I was able to discern three important proclivities I share with the Master. We both love good stories. We both love New York City. And we both love beautiful women.

(Please forgive my constant present-tense references to my dear friend. His creative force, and his force of personality, remains so strong in my mind that I can't often think of Will Eisner as a man who has left us.)

Now, about that blue suit.

Comic books have long traditions based on the limitations of pre-digital printing. Among these are traditions from the old newsprint-run-through-letterpress approach (yes, comics have been—and still do--follow tradition that dates all the way back to Gutenberg!). Bad printing on pulp paper is why it was necessary for every superhero to have his emblem printed on his chest, and that everything that's black be printed in blue. Hence Superman's preposterous blue hair. And the Spirit's blue hat, mask, and suit.

In tests—and we did several—the blue made the Spirit look like an unfortunate guest at a Halloween party. Going to black brings back his essential mystery, his Zorro-like sexiness. It also makes that red tie of his look very, very cool. So I made the call, with all respect to Eisner's creation, and most importantly, to what I perceived as his underlying intention. It was an easy call for me to make. The Spirit dresses in black, and looks much the better for it. As I said, my desire was never to slavishly follow the rules of '40s printing into campy oblivion, but to reintroduce Eisner's creation, via modern technology, to our brave new world.

And THE SPIRIT as some sort of SIN CITY REDUX? No, SIN CITY, that one's my own baby, folks, and it looks the way it does for its own reasons. THE SPIRIT is, and will always be, Eisner's SPIRIT. Anybody watching me on the set could attest that I very frequently drew a storyboard for a given shot first as I saw it, then as Will might’ve seen in—and, in every case, went with what I saw as Will's version.

To drive the point home, THE SPIRIT, despite any accidental impression left by that kickass teaser-trailer, is a full-color movie. SIN CITY—and I hope to make of it a movie trilogy all its own, come Hell and high water—is, visually, a playhouse for black and white.

THE SPIRIT's been one hell of an adventure, one that's made me love the world of comics more than ever.

I'm confident that it's going to be one hell of a good movie.

FM

--

that's from frank miller, obviously.

i'll tell you this much, no one will treat eisner's material with as much honor and respect as miller will. i was lucky to have gone on this cbldf cruise back in 2000. from l.a. to mexico. i was 24 and guys like frank miller and neil gaiman and matt wagner were drinking with you or eating dinner with you. it was a tremendous experience, the once in a lifetime moment; it's a story i'll tell in more detail when i do the autobiographical project i want to do following the publication of 'jungle jane' and 'dream compass'.

also on the cruise was will eisner. and one of the strongest impressions that i have of that cruise was watching, night in and night out, frank miller, neil gaiman, and jeff smith huddle around will eisner whenever he was there... they stood listening, heads bent in absorption, and there was a clear and concrete reverence for the man coming off of them. it was humbling to observe and, in some ways, observing it opened new dimensions in my own creator/ego self-involvement.

but miller in particular, at the cbldf cocktail party hour each night, where the booze was free and the entire 40 or so creators were usually there at once, miller was by eisner's side the entire time...when eisner was there, miller was there. there's no doubt in my mind he'll deliver a fine representation of his friend and mentor's signature work

--

i'll be shouting it to the heavens once i am able to, jamal. thanks!

jim, yes, everyone sweats. even the ubers. :)

--

josephrey
06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
yikes, hopefully he didn't pick up too many pointers from robert rodriguez.

j giar
06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I've read the Eisner/ Miller book twice now...I'd have stowed away in an old lady's handbag just to have been in earshot of those conversations..And I've been a fan of Rodriquez since El Mariachi. Everyone has their ups and downs...directors included.

chris stevens
06-07-2008, 12:35 AM
they were great nights and days, jim.
one snippet i overheard when those guys were huddled around mr. eisner that always stuck with me was eisner saying, "remember, i've seen the 'end' of the comic book business 10 times already."

that was 2000 and comics were still in an awful slump and a lot of chatter on the boat was the same death of comics nonsense you hear today here or anywhere on the internet.so it was great hearing that and knowing where he was coming from.

as for robert rodriguez, outside of sin city, i haven't liked anything of his. but i respect him and how he goes about his business. i wish mr. reynolds here, jospehrey to those who don't know him, made as many comics as rr makes movies because i know they'd be some fine comics.

--

'i started off on burgundy
but soon hit the harder stuff
everybody said they'd stand behind me
when the game got rough
but the joke was on me
there was nobody even there
to call my bluff...'

--bob dylan, just like tom thumb's blues, 1965

well, no harder stuff for me tonight, just a harmless journal entry. i had big thoughts for a moment but it's too damn dark to type them.

i read two great comics this week:

all star batman and robin #9, just an excellent piece of comicbookery. i've read it like 5 times i enjoyed it so much. it's a real thrill getting to see miller flesh out his dark knight universe. and it's clear that miller and jim lee have found their stride as collaborators. this issue's an instant classic.

the golden ass by milo manara. wow, this reminded me as much as you think you know, you usually know nothing. because i knew about manara, i thought i did at least, but this book was just flat-out comix mastery. and it made me feel really immature for wanting to fuck jeff campbell's girls after seeing manara's women.

ehobbs
06-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Like you, I'm not a fan of Rodriguez's movies but I have an immense respect for the way he does business. He's doing things independently the way Coppola dreamed of doing back in the day.

Even if you don't like his flicks, I highly recommend his book REBEL WITHOUT A CREW. Pretty inspiring stuff for creators.

josephrey
06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
ha, but i've got all these elevators to sort out.

chris stevens
06-10-2008, 05:26 PM
hey hobbs, i'll have to check that out.

joe, elevators only go up and down. we need to find a way to get you moving sideways.

--

every now and again you get a piece from an artist that's just perfect, like they pulled it out of your head and chipped away at it until it was the pure thing you had seen but never touched. it's the thrilling result of matching material with artists, sparking the artist's personal interest in the material, and giving them the freedom within whatever specificities to do what they please.

nate powell, whose 200+page opus 'swallow me whole' arrives this fall from top shelf, blessed me with that kind of moment recently.

from our story 'spoil of dogs' in 'dream compass'...

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/7154/dreamcompasspromogreyne8.th.png (http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dreamcompasspromogreyne8.png)

chris stevens
06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
:bounce:

j giar
06-13-2008, 04:29 PM
:bounce:

Read this early on Thursday and unfortunately I was unable to comment till today. It brought to mind a quote from Johnny Cash, who I am a huge fan of. Been one since I was a kid, and I think of it every time I read something that makes me think "my god...what exactly are we?" It's from the book Cash-An American Man...And I'll quote...Dated October 24, 1977.....
" I heard on the news that there is a lull in the fighting in Vietnam because so many Vietnamese are busy planting a rice crop again. The report said that full scale fighting is expected to resume immediately after the planting season. I reply, What kind of animal is man that he would pause in his killing in order to go about the business of preparing for the living. Knowing that he will immediately return to the business of killing." Even though what you wrote is gone...it was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read it...By the way that piece has a "Bernie Wrightson-Frankenstein, illustrative" feel to it. Love that ink work.

chris stevens
06-16-2008, 05:12 PM
yeah, jim, the night i posted that and then deleted it i wound up on the phone with jason rodriguez and he thought it was a great post i should have left up. like i told him, i took it down because i plan on using this journal for material in an autobiographical project down the road and i didn't want to be reminded of some evil trash like that.

'what kind of animal is man...', well, johnny cash understood what kind more than most, didn't he? great man, great quote. johnny cash is the kind of man, the kind of american, who would have held their head high back in 1785.

thanks for the kind words on nate's piece...i'll pass that along, he'll dig it. those wrightson frankenstein drawings are legend.

speaking of nate, i've got something i'd like to scream out loud right now but i'll hold on to it until another time.

chris stevens
06-18-2008, 03:17 PM
i just saw that 'postcards' has been nominated for 'best anthology' in this year's harvey awards. we also were nominated for 'special award for excellence in presentation'. a tip of the hat to jason rodriguez and the book's principal design chiefs, matt kindt and jason hanley.

and let's not forget whose elephant story inspired the cover... :)

was trying to take you through the art phases of the closing spread from my story with gb tran, 'blue', from 'postcards'. turns out i don't have a handy file for the final greytoned look that was in the book. but here's a look at steps 1 and 2 of 3.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7195/sketch89bb9.th.jpg (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sketch89bb9.jpg)
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4326/blueinks50001wv4.th.jpg (http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blueinks50001wv4.jpg)

j giar
06-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Man...love those waves.

jrod
06-19-2008, 01:38 PM
i just saw that 'postcards' has been nominated for 'best anthology' in this year's harvey awards. we also were nominated for 'special award for excellence in presentation'. a tip of the hat to jason rodriguez and the book's principal design chiefs, matt kindt and jason hanley.

and let's not forget whose elephant story inspired the cover... :)

was trying to take you through the art phases of the closing spread from my story with gb tran, 'blue', from 'postcards'. turns out i don't have a handy file for the final greytoned look that was in the book. but here's a look at steps 1 and 2 of 3.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7195/sketch89bb9.th.jpg (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sketch89bb9.jpg)
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4326/blueinks50001wv4.th.jpg (http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blueinks50001wv4.jpg)

It wasn't the original cover but it was certainly the best one: here's the collection of covers that were created for this book. (http://www.eximiouspress.com/2007/07/evolution-of-cover.html)

chris stevens
06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9854/paulpopethbwezzdcp0300aer3.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paulpopethbwezzdcp0300aer3.jpg)

thin white duke?

paul pope at 24 or 25, taken from 'thb#3'.
i really can't wait for first second's monumental collection of 'thb' to start rolling out. the original issues were never easy to find. in the mid-nineties i'd go to philadelphia a couple times a month and check for issues and it was a rare thing to come across one. and while i've lost many a comic over the year to moves and lending out, none of them sting quite as bad as my copy of thb #1, lent to a girlfriend long ago and never to return.

--

spent last thursday in nyc. i went with my partner matt to meet with my agent. before meeting with him i spent a couple hours with bob schreck at dc comics. schreck's editing a bunch of new ogn's for vertigo, along with the fantastic 'all star' books. talking to schreck for two hours flies by. i always learn something. i don't always agree with him, but i do always learn something. he's got some interesting things cooking with this new initiative of vertigo's to publish more ogn's. a lot of cartoonists coming into the fold.
one book which has been announced already that i'm especially looking forward to is ron wimberly's 'prince of cats'.

after seeing schreck i met back up with matt and we grabbed a few drinks before meeting with the agent.it's amazing how much it costs to do anything in manhattan. just a loose talley of the day's costs includes $75 for ink we needed to print out things, $60 to fill the tank on the way up, $35 for parking, a $25 cab ride, $30x5 for the various stops for cocktails. and it would have been even more if the agent hadn't picked up the tab.

so what was meeting with your agent for the first time like?
well, in this case we met at his place in soho and went across the street to a bar. we took over two corner tables and we ordered drinks and we talked. after two hours or so we had a clear plan and publishers in mind for three projects. this should all happpen by november. it'll establish me in non-fiction, fiction, and children's circles and hopefully allow me to do the kind of projects i really want to do down the line.

so last thursday was a good day.

friday was even better, as an artist we (we being me and jason rodriguez) really wanted and needed committed to one of the three projects.

--
i've had these pics here in my files for awhile, been meaning to post them.
some various artists i came across that tickled my fancy. the first guy is sick, all that loony detail. great imagination. the artist who did the birds, what great expressiveness. lovely. and the third guy, wicked red riding hood.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2034/sellamillion2c20cover20gd5.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sellamillion2c20cover20gd5.jpg)
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6181/lost20moonyn7.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lost20moonyn7.jpg)
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1958/balloon20boytx7.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=balloon20boytx7.jpg)
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8715/05lechuzamq8.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=05lechuzamq8.jpg)
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/676/04avesbt2.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=04avesbt2.jpg)
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3143/02juankr5.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=02juankr5.jpg)
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4554/redridinghoodip5.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=redridinghoodip5.jpg)

j giar
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Always look forward to these posts...and Bob Schreck was the first editor that ever looked at my portfolio...years....and years......and years ago. When he was still with Darkhorse in fact...To this day I still tell the story he told me about the importance of reference material. Which consisted of, Matt Wagner illustrating a cats asshole as the cat walks away from the camera. :laugh:
Some of the artwork looks like the gent that did some of "Janes" artwork. Is that the case?

MARS
06-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I've never seen this posting but good stuff all around. Inspiring.

Bob Schreck is great. It's like listening to the mad rambles of one of my old college film professors.Good stuff always. Love him...He's a character unto himself and i say that in the highest of regards. He's real.

If you dig Topley (love her too btw w. Tricky- kudos on your music taste- The Black Angels are rad.) you might want to look into The Twilight Singers some. You seem to know your music...But occasionally i sometimes get turned on by stuff i am caught unawares on...So here-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50c-KsLhEjI

Worthy of "liberating" from the internet. Also worthy of checking them out on tour if they stop in Philly. They constantly give love there and do killer shows.A lot of Prince covers too.

Good luck.

M.

chris stevens
06-27-2008, 09:54 PM
jim, that bird artist hasn't done anything for me...yet!
when 'jane' comes out it'll be a hundred+page hardcover. at that time i plan on doing a monthly 32 page comic that's set in jane's world but doesn't necessarily follow the main narrative of the 'jungle jane' books proper. so hopefully we'll see some of this guy's stuff in that. i've already got two artists lined up.

mr. robinson! glad you dropped in. i will most certainly check out the twilight singers. and yes, i love martina, she's a muse. i'm working on a script for a new project, the 'american dragon' series i posted a piece from a few weeks back, and it's being written listening to martina's 'blue goddess', the black angels 'directions to see a ghost', and john coltrane. so if it falls flat i can't fault inspiration.

here's what i've downloaded since that last post you read...

elliot smith, see you in heaven
mars volta, bedlam in goliath
jimi hendrix experience, discography
neil diamond, home before dark

rick rubin produced the neil diamond record...it's stellar. rubin is gold. i'd love for him to work with pearl jam.

queens of the stoned age, discography
frank sinatra, nothing but the best
nirvana, with the lights out box set

the acoustic cobain demos, especially 'you know your right' give me chills.

john coltrane, complete impulse recordings
elvis presley, the complete 50's masters

elvis, due to the nature of his immense fame and sordid demise, is mostly seen as a caricature by people younger than, say, 40. but my lord could he sing. and it was funny for me, a huge dylan fan, to hear the roots of bob's 'lay lady lay' era vocal delivery in elvis' early recordings.

led zeppelin, discography
traveling wilburys, discography
wu tang clan, 8 diagrams

i hate rap music. i like wu tang. go figure.

brianjonestown massacre, tepid peppermint wonderland
eddie vedder, live at zellerbach hall 08
eddie vedder, walks on his own

someone put together the vedder compilation, which has given me my song of this summer, so far, vedder doing pete townshend's 'blue, red, and grey'.

sonic youth, daydream nation
sam cooke, 4 cd box set
ray charles, the atlantic years complete
beethoven violin concerto, itzak perlman
scarlett johanson, anywhere i lay my head
the pigeon detectives, emergency
violin adagios
rihanna, good girl gone bad
the pogues, discography
the black angels, in concert

they opened for the black keys. must have been a hell of a show.

my morning jacket, it still moves

and hey, mark, i was looking through your blog. sorry to hear of your father's passing. keep your chin up. enjoy your new x-gig. and go out and do some stuff of your own. it'll feel good, trust me.

MARS
06-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the sentiments Chris. I appreciate them.

Wu-Tang huh? No hip hop huh? Huh.

Weird. I know it's not for everybody but I love hip-hop for many things (good hip hop hits you pretty honest is you understand where it's coming from- which is usually a place where you don't want to be at). But it's mostly that i can't think of one image (pin up per say) that i have drawn that hasn't come from one or two distinctive lines of hip-hop prose.

You should drop me your addy @ some point and i'll burn you a cd of "liberated goods i borrowed from the internet" for your listening pleasure.

It's funny because i'm building SCDF around the Black Angels as well. That and a few others-

The Cult-Naturally High and anything from the LOVE album.
KISS- Love gun.
Coheed & Cambria
KYUSS (if you don't already know-This was QOTSA before they were.)
and these guys w. just about anyone singing with them-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsMGNwYDdg&feature=related

So yeah- i have to put the creator stuff on the side for a couple months for the new project...But i should have some stuff up soon!

I am digging this thread. I must check out the Rick Rubin/Diamond stuff (sounds rad- i'd love to see what he'd do with Mike Patton)...I agree with you. Rubin is the man.Great producer--- I was just listening to "License To Ill" the other day and I said to myself...

This really is a good fucking album. Rock on.

M.

chris stevens
06-28-2008, 05:20 PM
mike turner died last night. he was 37 years old. he spent his 30's, all of this decade passing us by, battling cancer.

he created 'witchblade', 'fathom', and 'soulforge'. he was, along with joe madureira and jeff campbell, the pre-eminent mainstream artist of his time.
he had many contemporaries and few peers.

everything he drew looked cool. high-minded comix minds like myself and a million others could take shots at his all-the-same females and some of the leap before you look nature of his body of work after his initial 'witchblade' run.

but the facts are mike turner loved comics, and he gave back much more than he took away. i think of him now, gone, no more eye catching awkwardly hot covers, no more fetching women, no more pristine fantasyscapes, and i think of the kubert brothers, almost universally applauded as far as the mainstream goes, and the distinction is clear and as shiny as a pete steigerwald colored wave or shiny silver surfer cover...mike turner created his own shit. he marched to the beat of his own drum and regardless of your personal tastes comix is better for his involvement in the form.

my personal favorite mike turner story is the supergirl arc from 'superman/batman'...he did very little big two sequential work so seeing him there was a questioning thrill...could he do it? would it pop? was it a good story?

the answer to all three was a resounding yes! that arc was wonderful fun. i've read and re-read it a few times over the years and it's one of those runs where if you were a kid at the time of reading it dreams of those characters would be falling out of your ears.

so tonight, even though i'm not a kid anymore, i'll be going to sleep and saying a prayer of thanks for mike turner, and for the comics he made, and so that he might rest a little easier, free of the pain but full of the work he provided a sometimes too spurilous audience.

down21
06-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I know this is probaby really obvious but, you and jrod have already seen postsecret right?
Here's the link anyway, on the off chance you haven't...
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

jrod
06-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I know this is probaby really obvious but, you and jrod have already seen postsecret right?
Here's the link anyway, on the off chance you haven't...
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

Yup: http://www.eximiouspress.com/2008/05/what-could-of-been.html

MARS
06-28-2008, 08:11 PM
opps.

MARS
06-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Opps part 2

down21
06-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Yup: http://www.eximiouspress.com/2008/05/what-could-of-been.html

That's Awesome! It's too bad it didn't work out. They're a perfect match.
Very cool!

chris stevens
07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
http://fareldal.livejournal.com/16703.html#cutid1

farel dalrymple updated his journal. one of the pleasures of being his friend, and those pleasures are few and far between, believe you me, is going off into a corner somewhere with his sketchbooks and getting lost in them. i highly recommend checking out that new york magazine link he put in to his new meathaus story, 'fotogloctica'. consider it a preview of sorts to next year's 'the wrenchies' from first second.

and check out that cover for the last issue of 'omega the unknown'. i saw the original for that back in april. now it's hanging on jonathan lethem's wall. fucker.

--

and hey, down21, you never know...click your heels three times and that still just might happen...

josephrey
07-02-2008, 11:06 AM
snag: that omega cover just went into my rad folder. i would LOVE to see more main stream hero books drawn in styles such as that. it immediately grounds you to a more tactile state and makes the character more real.

today's the day, eh? looks to be a good one, and you're beating the rain. wish i could swing by to help, but my day's been booked.

chris stevens
07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
i have moved up to philadelphia. any philly-area folks who want to get together, drop me a line here. let's build.

chris stevens
07-09-2008, 02:42 PM
song of the minute: 'more news from nowhere', nick cave and the bad seeds

on the bathroom floor: 'the corrections' by jonathan franzen

i've been meaning to read this book for a few years now. franzen can flat out write.
--

i've read a bunch of comics lately. i like the cat drawing 'incredible hercules'. sandoval, i think. he's going places.

ryan ottley turned in some superb spreads in 'invincible' #50. i really only look at the book for wya but i kind of enjoyed this issue.

i was surprised to see 'the lost boys'. after reading it surprise turned into confusion;why would you spend money to acquire a license and then produce such a piece of shit comic?

speaking of piece of shit comics, my lord those 'pilot season' books from top cow suck. 'alibi' and 'genius' were both offensive, for different reasons. 'alibi' is a sad example of a writer who thinks using the word 'fuck' is edgy and mature. 'genius' couldn't have a less appropriate title. glory in the ghetto. what a pandering lousy book. the editor there has no business being in comics. these books, you download them for free and it still feels like you're getting ripped off.

i read warren ellis' debut on x-men. anyone who talks comics with me knows i can't stand ellis' stuff or his whole schtick. but this was an excellent debut. exciting. he nailed it. very much looking forward to this run now.

what else..? i'm enjoying the various 'secret invasion' books. i admire bendis' longterm plotting here. i think i'd be wowed if i was a kid. fun stuff.

i dig 'the initiative'. i like the concept and seeing fresh blood in the marvel u.

i read a 'serenity' miniseries. for the life of me i'll never get the whole joss whedon thing. it's decent genre material, nothing more, nothing less.

--

one of the best things about making friends in comics is getting to see their work in various stages. i've seen some great stuff lately, heard about some exciting projects a'brewing. ain't comix grand?

MARS
07-11-2008, 12:28 PM
i was surprised to see 'the lost boys'. after reading it surprise turned into confusion;why would you spend money to acquire a license and then produce such a piece of shit comic?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

*Sigh.

Now that's funny..I was just thinking the same thing on weds...I couldn't figure out what was more irritating...That or the dudes who STAND in front of the new books rack face buried in the books and breathe wayyyyy too heavy on the books man.

Serial killers in training.

M.

John Rauch
07-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Man...I know exactly the type you're talking about. Now I remember why I don't usually go to the comic store on Wednesdays. My wife and kids were with me and there was a whole herd of creepy nerds breathing heavily and bickering over typical nerd nonsense. The best part is when one of them turned to me and asked/mumbled which Iron Man cover I liked better because he couldn't decide which to buy. Seriously...what's wrong with these people?

MARS
07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Man...I know exactly the type you're talking about. Now I remember why I don't usually go to the comic store on Wednesdays. My wife and kids were with me and there was a whole herd of creepy nerds breathing heavily and bickering over typical nerd nonsense. The best part is when one of them turned to me and asked/mumbled which Iron Man cover I liked better because he couldn't decide which to buy. Seriously...what's wrong with these people?

Mutants man.HAha. Mutants.

Castaways of a forgotten science that no longer claims responsibility for it's creations (or actions). Bastard children of the Nerd Apocalypse. The Socially Weird.A reason for chain smoking.

I like to stand there sometimes among them and just suddenly scream out. It's pretty rad what happens next.

M.

josephrey
07-11-2008, 03:20 PM
chris, please never ask to borrow a book from me. and if you do persuade me, feel free to keep it.

:laugh:

chris stevens
07-12-2008, 02:51 AM
awww, joe, i tend a tidy bathroom.

mark, john--comics stores are indeed hampered by an abundance of obnoxious 'regular' customers who exude this muscularly-deformed sense of entitlement to their vast condescending insight and taste. combined with the blithely apathetic clerks at most stores, even though i love comics going into a comic shop is such a hit/miss experience.

although yesterday in west philly comics(you know that shop, mark?)there was actual thoughtful discussion and --gasp!-- a pretty young college blonde who looked like a med student who rowed crew to relax was searching fervently for an issue of 'buffy'. so, i guess i'll score one for joss whedon.

and by the way, john's doing some good work on a very fun book,
'teen titans :year one'. unlike the majority of the books i've read lately, this series isn't ashamed to take itself as a comic book and that in and of itself is refreshing. the artwork has youthful pop alongside solid storytelling and the stories themselves are delightful looks at a young teen titans team.

--speaking of delightful stories, here's one that was one of my favorite stories when i was a little kid. i read the comic clean through the pages over time.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/1908/captaincarrot1716houseofq3.th.jpg (http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captaincarrot1716houseofq3.jpg)
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/151/captaincarrot1717houseotx5.th.jpg (http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captaincarrot1717houseotx5.jpg)
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/3288/captaincarrot1718houseoha4.th.jpg (http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captaincarrot1718houseoha4.jpg)
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/6809/captaincarrot1719houseouy2.th.jpg (http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captaincarrot1719houseouy2.jpg)
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/8097/captaincarrot1720houseotn9.th.jpg (http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captaincarrot1720houseotn9.jpg)
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/3924/captaincarrot1721houseobs3.th.jpg (http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captaincarrot1721houseobs3.jpg)
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/3098/captaincarrot1722houseord3.th.jpg (http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=captaincarrot1722houseord3.jpg)

from 'captain carrot' #17, a wonderful '3-in-1' issue where you got 3 separate, complete shorts on revolving members of the cast. i plan on doing something similiar with a 32 page monthly 'jungle jane' comic once the book proper is released.

The Spirit
07-12-2008, 05:10 AM
just saw this during a lap around internet-land...

THE SPIRIT Blog #9

TO MY READERS

Much has been the fuss in the comics' blogosphere about my SPIRIT movie—much justified, much hoped for, and much to my delight, that there has been a fuss at all. Some comics readers are terrified that THE SPIRIT will be a retread of my SIN CITY. Others quarrel over the change of the SPIRIT'S traditional blue hat, mask, and jacket, to black. These are understandable concerns for any lover of Will Eisner's masterpiece. I take this opportunity to address these concerns. With glee, I take this opportunity.

THE SPIRIT is, with every effort I give it, not a rusty, dusty old monument to the work of my beloved Mentor, so much as it is an extension of what I know to have been Eisner's central intent: to create something new, witty, and exploratory. That's what he did. That's what I'm doing.

It only resembles SIN CITY in that I am its director, and, well, yes, I have my ways and my proclivities. Luckily, I was able to discern three important proclivities I share with the Master. We both love good stories. We both love New York City. And we both love beautiful women.

(Please forgive my constant present-tense references to my dear friend. His creative force, and his force of personality, remains so strong in my mind that I can't often think of Will Eisner as a man who has left us.)

Now, about that blue suit.

Comic books have long traditions based on the limitations of pre-digital printing. Among these are traditions from the old newsprint-run-through-letterpress approach (yes, comics have been—and still do--follow tradition that dates all the way back to Gutenberg!). Bad printing on pulp paper is why it was necessary for every superhero to have his emblem printed on his chest, and that everything that's black be printed in blue. Hence Superman's preposterous blue hair. And the Spirit's blue hat, mask, and suit.

In tests—and we did several—the blue made the Spirit look like an unfortunate guest at a Halloween party. Going to black brings back his essential mystery, his Zorro-like sexiness. It also makes that red tie of his look very, very cool. So I made the call, with all respect to Eisner's creation, and most importantly, to what I perceived as his underlying intention. It was an easy call for me to make. The Spirit dresses in black, and looks much the better for it. As I said, my desire was never to slavishly follow the rules of '40s printing into campy oblivion, but to reintroduce Eisner's creation, via modern technology, to our brave new world.

And THE SPIRIT as some sort of SIN CITY REDUX? No, SIN CITY, that one's my own baby, folks, and it looks the way it does for its own reasons. THE SPIRIT is, and will always be, Eisner's SPIRIT. Anybody watching me on the set could attest that I very frequently drew a storyboard for a given shot first as I saw it, then as Will might’ve seen in—and, in every case, went with what I saw as Will's version.

To drive the point home, THE SPIRIT, despite any accidental impression left by that kickass teaser-trailer, is a full-color movie. SIN CITY—and I hope to make of it a movie trilogy all its own, come Hell and high water—is, visually, a playhouse for black and white.

THE SPIRIT's been one hell of an adventure, one that's made me love the world of comics more than ever.

I'm confident that it's going to be one hell of a good movie.

FM

--

that's from frank miller, obviously.

i'll tell you this much, no one will treat eisner's material with as much honor and respect as miller will. i was lucky to have gone on this cbldf cruise back in 2000. from l.a. to mexico. i was 24 and guys like frank miller and neil gaiman and matt wagner were drinking with you or eating dinner with you. it was a tremendous experience, the once in a lifetime moment; it's a story i'll tell in more detail when i do the autobiographical project i want to do following the publication of 'jungle jane' and 'dream compass'.

also on the cruise was will eisner. and one of the strongest impressions that i have of that cruise was watching, night in and night out, frank miller, neil gaiman, and jeff smith huddle around will eisner whenever he was there... they stood listening, heads bent in absorption, and there was a clear and concrete reverence for the man coming off of them. it was humbling to observe and, in some ways, observing it opened new dimensions in my own creator/ego self-involvement.

but miller in particular, at the cbldf cocktail party hour each night, where the booze was free and the entire 40 or so creators were usually there at once, miller was by eisner's side the entire time...when eisner was there, miller was there. there's no doubt in my mind he'll deliver a fine representation of his friend and mentor's signature work

--

i'll be shouting it to the heavens once i am able to, jamal. thanks!

jim, yes, everyone sweats. even the ubers. :)

--
Just read this.

I'm very happy.

MARS
07-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah Chris-

I do believe i have been to that one- it's underground-ish right?

If so yup. It's got records too!

So yeah- um...

Be prepared for the "hot chick" influx into West Philly now...West side is the new South Philly for the hot girl check in outpost so I have been told by all my friends alike.

M.

chris stevens
07-12-2008, 09:52 PM
mark, i believe it used to be as you describe but now it's on locust next to 'strikes' bowling alley. it's a video/comics shop. nice and roomy. fairly strong non-big 2 selection.

as far as the women go, yeah, compared to atlantic city it's like walking around in the lobby of elite modeling agency.

--

spirit, i don't think you'll have anything to worry about. and i'm always amazed, and flattered sort of, when someone turns out to be reading the backpages of this thing.

--

some early character studies from the 'dragon' series i'm doing with weshoyot alvitre.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1130/leesxwifevt3.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leesxwifevt3.jpg)
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4081/yenwangrs4.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=yenwangrs4.jpg)

jrod
07-13-2008, 10:11 AM
People talking about good-looking women in Philly have obviously never been to DC/Northern Virginia. No mater where people are visiting from, no matter guy nor girl, they're always amazed at the percentage of good-looking people in this area.

Everything you're doing looks great, as usual.

chris stevens
07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
thanks, jason.

jason's great cross-country comic book road trip begins tomorrow. you can follow it here...

http://dcist.com/2008/07/14/coasttocoast_comicdom_a_briffit_in.php

i know i'll be!

--

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1921/2660418595f030dae1bfcv7.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2660418595f030dae1bfcv7.jpg)

i must have that. i won't be in san diego but a plan is afoot to make sure i wind up with one of those, smile on my face big as a kid's on christmas day.

chris stevens
07-19-2008, 03:10 AM
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/934/critterpencil1nh8.th.jpg (http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=critterpencil1nh8.jpg)

from my first editing gig.

CRITTER, created &written by tom hutchinson(critter's daddy).

cover pencils by ryan ottley, otherwise known as our uncle wya. these are not the finished pencils, maybe i'll post those later...

going to be a fun ride, with super-duper artists all-around!

Jason Copland
07-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Nice! Wya's stuff is so dynamic!

chris stevens
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
check out jason rodriguez's excellent coast-to-coast tour of comicdom. i enjoyed these reports and the intimacy jason brought to these snapshots of creators, cartoonists and comic shops from washington d.c. all the way to this past weekend's eisner award ceremony in san diego.

http://dcist.com/tags/comicdom

--
speaking of eisner awards, on what planet does pia guerra, a solid if unspectacular storyteller and competent artist, beat jae lee for 'best artist'. c'mon. stuff like that annoys me because it devalues what should be--and is--the highest honor in comics. jae's elegant work on 'dark tower' elevates the entire project. it's ashame he wasn't rewarded for his work.

but i did get a smile seeing james jean win his FIFTH consecutive award for 'best cover artist'. james is all but done with comics, making each exquisite cover he produces that much more precious. jason rodriguez likes to say that if james was alive back in michelangelo's day he would have been painting chapels and all that jazz. and i think he's right.

--

i've got a story in image comics 'pop gun volume two', which came out today. a short little number illustrated by ryan ottley, or 'wya', as i still call him. gives me great pleasure having a book i'm in with a paul pope cover!
i'm a tiny bit bummed my bio got messed up--there is another chris stevens in the book, a d&d artist, and i guess his bio ran twice. but shit happens and it's a great looking book from flipping through it. check it out!

jrod
07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
speaking of eisner awards, on what planet does pia guerra, a solid if unspectacular storyteller and competent artist, beat jae lee for 'best artist'. c'mon. stuff like that annoys me because it devalues what should be--and is--the highest honor in comics. jae's elegant work on 'dark tower' elevates the entire project. it's ashame he wasn't rewarded for his work.

Oh man, we're going to battle.

Panel to panel Jae Lee is the better artist, hands down (although I wonder how the uncolored work will compare, if it would be as night-and-day). Regardless - from a sequential storytelling perspective which is the important part of comics artist, Pia has Jae beat. Does Pia have everyone in comics beat when it comes to storytelling? No, not at all. But she was certainly the strongest of the contenders in my opinion (I voted for her). Her storytelling grew tremendously over the years, her page layouts for the last couple of series were phenomenal. And her draftsmanship and panel composition, whereas not on Jae's level, is still pretty goddamn fantastic.

I love the fact that Pia won. She had a great run on a great book and she was genuinely overwhelmed and honored by the victory. I hope she keeps her momentum up and continues to churn out some good work.

Ok - your rebuttal.

Calloway
07-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Happy Birthday Chris!

chris stevens
07-31-2008, 09:42 PM
my rebuttal?

dr. who.

and pelted i was with rotten tomatoes...

Ron Phillips
07-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Those damn internet gremlins ... sorry, it must have gotten lost during the transition.

PixelisedMind
08-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey Chris, I picked up Popgun and the pages came out pretty nice. Well done.

-Andy (The Colourist)

Jason Copland
08-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Congratulations on the Pop Gun gig, Chris!

MARS
08-03-2008, 11:40 AM
The Color is Red man...

UNO all day long.

I'm bringing it back fo' realz.Good to finally put a face to a name Stevens...Good hang out. Next time we'll take it to the West Side.

Not sure if you told me about Popgun (i think you did- me somewhat drunky then...)

If not- CongratZ!!

M.

chris stevens
08-04-2008, 09:58 PM
greenie--thanks for the b-day wishes. mucho appreciado, amigo.

ron-- no worries, no internet gremlins involved. i just meant, wrapping up that eisner/jae/pia/jason discussion(without, of course, wrapping it up since the meat of said discussion wouldn't belong here)that my rebuttal was 'dr. who'.
now, i feel like a dick typing that last part but hey, honesty's a cruel mistress.
maybe the book'll be good and i'll eat my words.

in that vein, i thought planet/world war hulk was awful when i saw the initial issues but, having recently downloaded the whole shebang, i'm finding it a big fun rollicking hulk-a-thon.

and digressing further, i've seen those 'gremlin' comics that have surfaced, and read of their pedigree-- i always thought gremlins were gizmo and mogwai and spike running blenders and such. in the back of my mind, thinking of potential properties(no doubt brought on by folks like nick barucci and idw and others) i envision 'gremlins' comics, the further adventures of billy and gizmo, the secret origin of mogwai, the fateful dark night of their turning. that and 'the road warrior' and 'the warriors'.

huh. the warriors. seems like dabel bros., or devil's due, one or the other, has acquired that license-- so more barely serviceable books eroding the overall desire for the material. too bad.

--

pop gun 2. i've seen it. i enjoyed the fact aaron beatty bought it from me. i enjoyed meeting aaron beatty. and thanks jason copland for the congrats, and tip of the hat to andy(pixelisedmind) who provided the colors.

the book came out the day before my birthday. some knockout work by a guy named collum williamson(i could be mangling that)and a lovely overall package topped off by a paul pope girl rocking the cover. a project i was initially sceptical of turned out ok. and #3 looks quite nice, too.

my birthday...34 years old. what did i do on my birthday?
i set-up a signing at the shop i'm working at in west philly for khoi pham and his mighty avengers. august 20th, more to come...

i drank some vodka drink, 007, and let's just say that fucker sneaks up on you. not a drink i'd normally go for but they were being bought for me so hey, i roll with the wind(outside of drinking beer or jack daniels which are 'never drink'). i talked to farel dalrymple and agreed, 4 years later, that he was right.
i went to an indian restaurant where my wife stormed out on me and, in her absence, i ate two more plates of food(buffet). i sat at a bar with an 83 year old ww2 vet and listened to him call george bush(the current moron, not his equally evil father)a 'cocksucker' as bits of hot dog bun($1 dogs on dog day afternoon happy hour)crumbled down his chin into his white beard and he refused my buying him a drink.

i watched tex cobb fight larry holmes for the heavyweight championship of the world in 1982. i watched this with tex cobb, which, the little time i've spent with tex, it's always exciting. the humblest baddest motherfucker on the planet. i'll probably owe tex money after i end up using so much of what he says to me as dialogue in my books.

keep your hands up, white boy.

and eventually i came home and played with my cat, puss. puss was a great hunter and killer of yard creatures, birds...no taste for bugs but other than that she killed anything that moved. so, now, living in an apt. building in an enclosed space, no hopes of hunting, we've devised a new game to keep her sharp; i tear out, one by one and starting with the cover, a page from a particularly bad comic book and pelt her with a rapid succession of paper balls. the action gets her juiced, it's a flurry of paper and claws and flashing cat-fang that ends with puss sleeping beside her gathered prey, lifeless paper a remedy, in this instance at least, for penetration of flesh and the letting of blood.

--

and you, mr. robinson. all i can say is, i'm looking forward to this friday.

chris stevens
08-17-2008, 04:54 PM
i'm hosting a signing this coming wednesday, the 20th, with 'mighty avengers' artist khoi pham at west philly comics. the signing is from 4-6. address is 4040 locust street, philadelphia pa. phone is 215 387 5440.

khoi's a board regular who's had a pretty meteoric rise at marvel. he'll be doing free sketches and spreading cheer. stop in and say hi if you're in the area.

chris stevens
08-26-2008, 04:40 PM
the signing was a lot of fun. khoi's a gent, he sketched non-stop and for free and some lucky people walked out with some nice pieces. there was a cap. america i particularly dug. it was great seeing a couple young kids, a brother and sister, showing their drawings to khoi. when they were leaving and khoi asked them 'any more questions?' the little boy, without missing a beat, said 'yeah, how do you get to work for marvel?'.
ha.

here's a lil' something khoi spun up for me...

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2942/2008201lr6.th.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008201lr6.jpg)

mikeexner3
08-26-2008, 05:06 PM
That's a purty sketch. Definitely deserving of the refrigerator.

chris stevens
08-27-2008, 01:37 AM
no power on my entire block today from 5pm until a little while ago. something oddly disquieting about being on the 6th floor of an apartment building in near total darkness, the eerie sound of things constantly muffled by electric hum revealed while slowly heading down empty hallways to stalled elevators not going up or down.

i was supposed to spend the night working on 'critter', with tom hutchinson, the book's creator and driving force. i'm editing this book for tom and, as part of our deal, tom was kind enough to stand in line and get my paul pope toy for me at the san diego con last month. i just received it in the mail yesterday. joy!

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/5498/2008192uy7.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008192uy7.jpg)
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/6299/2008196ck6.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008196ck6.jpg)
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/3748/2008194jk0.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008194jk0.jpg)
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/2496/2008195aj5.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008195aj5.jpg)
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5499/2008205xd0.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008205xd0.jpg)

the box art. the colors are deep and vibrant. everything about it is the toy bursting to jump out of its box.

seems this needs to be a two-parter...

chris stevens
08-27-2008, 01:37 AM
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/9921/2008197hx2.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008197hx2.jpg)
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/7448/2008198wx6.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008198wx6.jpg)
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/8171/2008193gf6.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008193gf6.jpg)
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/6171/2008199uq7.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008199uq7.jpg)
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/7210/2008200um1.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008200um1.jpg)

the toy itself is just a solid piece of smile. the comic that comes with it is 16 pages of pp at his cutie-pie styled best...brushstrokes that pull you in close, smudges on your cheeks from the ink-puff of a kiss. and a sticker book! when i was a little boy i'd decorate my grandmother's dressers with yogi bear and smurf stickers, the jetsons...the stickers were puffed out, giving them, in an eight year old's mind, a 3-D quality--i set up scenes, talking to them, eventually moving them enough so that the foamy middle between the face and back of each sticker was left revealed, with vague gluey traces of outlines where the stickers used to be.

so thanks tom, and paul, who i asked to put one aside and sketch on it for me.

khoipham
08-27-2008, 02:08 PM
That's a purty sketch. Definitely deserving of the refrigerator.

and i really do heart chris.

chris stevens
08-30-2008, 03:24 AM
comic book crossovers.

everyone's got a favorite.

most don't work. sentiment or not. creating new characters or not. most feel forced. but i give brian bendis credit for what marvel's got going with 'secret invasion'. the mu, after the 1-2-3 of no more mutants, a civil war, and this skrull invasion...it's bound to be interesting, just off the ensuing character dynamics.

the big advantage dc had over marvel for me as a reader, growing up reading between say ages 10-25, was that history of generations/universes/catastrophes...but marvel's caught them and ran fast enough in the doing that the bulk of their line seems younger, fresher, more now.

here's a seminal moment in the secret invasion continuity recreated by khoi for the store version at his signing.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/788/2008207ag2.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008207ag2.jpg)

that's a variant cover to 'secret invasion #1'. fine piece of comicteering by marvel there. from what i know, and i could be wrong, this thing debuted at wwphilly with yu in attendance and was going for $50. with such a broad-ranging project the odds of potentially personalizing this epic line-wide saga seems to me a masterstroke for marvel's sales&coolness dept.

chris stevens
09-08-2008, 03:15 PM
the only piece of original art i've ever purchased is the cover to 'street angel' #5. i just don't have the cash, and there's so much i want.

so here's to late-night myspacing and the 'oh, fuck it' mood a few cocktails can put in you...

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/1984/2008211zr2.th.jpg (http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008211zr2.jpg)

that arrived in the mail yesterday. the artist is lorenzo palloni, a twenty year old kid from italy. check him out. great blacks. solid storytelling. 20 years old. this kid's going places...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=189822832

chris stevens
10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
i've been working at a comics shop since late july and last month i started doing the orders. this is a shop in university city, west philadelphia, right off the penn campus. the best-selling books are...

1. watchmen: not quite the national 7/1 behemoth it seems to be but this book sells an easy 2/1 over our next bestseller...

2. dark knight returns: there's an easy 2 generations of new kids coming into this, along with the ever-widening new-to-graphic novels post-30 set.

the next three spots are close to even but lead by...

3. the killing joke: the $18 hardcover flies out the door. expect another upsurge once the dark knight dvd goes on sale.

4. y the last man #1: congrats to y, the only modern book to crack the top 5 besides...

5. the dark knight strikes again: yes. it moves. fast. i love it.

these books sell well week in week out, too...the long halloween, the first few sandman books, promethea, and buffy season 8...they sell well but not quite as well as the 5 aforementioned evergreens.

---

i am in what could be called, to be generous, a writing slump. this page, one of four i've needed to produce for 13 days now, took me hours until i wound up using the quote you're about to read...

Page one

Panel one

Text: Chicago 1941

Text : Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted;

Panel three

Text: persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished;

Panel six

Text: persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.

...in a way which actually seems to have worked, despite my feeling lazy over it.

this, by the way, is page one from the sam cooke thing i'm doing with jason rodriguez and nate powell. page one in pencil looks like this...

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3451/cookedemopg1pencilsmallux6.th.png (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cookedemopg1pencilsmallux6.png)

and then we have some off-panel back and forth between mother and daughter nate added...from nate to me and jason...

2. PAGES 1-3:
I really like the Huck Finn interweavings.
There's a lot of info that needs to be communicated during the food preparation: the size of the family, the time and place of the trip, the reason for packing all the food, the responsibilities of each kid (and thus the lack of responsibility the two boys seem to have), and the hectic air about when 9-10 people are preparing for a 12-hour journey the next day. it seems like some minimal conversation like this might hammer most of this out:
PG 1/Pan 3: MARY (faintly, balloon seen coming out of window)-- momma!
Pan 4: MARY-- where's my sunday hat?
MOM-- where you left it.
Pan 5: MOM-- all right, now--
Pan 6: MOM (balloon connected to pan.5)-- remember what i said,
PAGE 2/Pan 1: MOM-- this is for the DRIVE tomorrow. lord knows there's so few places to stop 'tween here and there.
MOM-- LC, thank you for tying those up.
MOM-- careful now, Hattie.
Pan 2: HATTIE (focused, under her breath)-- s'okay.
Pan 3: MOM-- *whew* get some rice done and that should do it.
SAM (urgently whispering)-- C!
Pan 4: MOM (in bkgrd, faintly heard)-- mary-- find it?
MARY (in bkgrd, faint)-- never mind!

...this leads into more than it's time to show. but there's a bit of still-in-the-air process...

--

and congratulations to nate, who walked away with spx's 'best debut' for his 'swallow me whole' from top shelf!!!

chris stevens
03-27-2009, 02:27 AM
inside out...

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2193/smallsketchbookmarch200.th.jpg (http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smallsketchbookmarch200.jpg)

L Jamal
03-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Dude, where have you been?

chris stevens
07-25-2009, 01:04 AM
i've always felt, part of me at least, like a child, and looked forward to the future that was coming. now i feel, part of me at least, like a man, and realize i'm living in the future.

after what amounts to nearly an 8 month sabbatical i'm ready to carry on in my attempts to make the comics i want to make and earn a living while doing it.
these last 8 months were the only time in 5 years that i've lost my way, and damn near my confidence as a creator, while trying to establish my career. no more. onwards...

and congrats to james jean, who just won his 6th consecutive eisner award for best cover artist.

L Jamal
07-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Good to see you back, my man.
I always look forward to your posts in this thread.

JamieRoberts
07-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Chris, you've been missed, man!

Jason Arthur
07-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Welcome back Chris.

Gimme a shout if my services are needed. Or if you just want to shout at someone.

-- J

j giar
07-25-2009, 02:01 PM
i've always felt, part of me at least, like a child, and looked forward to the future that was coming. now i feel, part of me at least, like a man, and realize i'm living in the future.

after what amounts to nearly an 8 month sabbatical i'm ready to carry on in my attempts to make the comics i want to make and earn a living while doing it.
these last 8 months were the only time in 5 years that i've lost my way, and damn near my confidence as a creator, while trying to establish my career. no more. onwards...

and congrats to james jean, who just won his 6th consecutive eisner award for best cover artist.

Where the hell have you been? And welcome back.
I think we creative individuals are prone to fits of Insecurity and self doubt. Questioning either our purpose, direction or results. In your case read your story in POSTCARDS again. That'll inspire you....It does me.

MARS
07-25-2009, 02:43 PM
He's been making nasty ass cheese french fries doused in BBQ sauce in West Illy.

Welcome back to the game son. Get your game face on.

M.

Jason Copland
07-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Hell yeah, Chris !

NaveenM
07-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Well glad to have you back, although obviously you've been around A LOT longer than me...but I guess I joined during your sabbatical.

Sorta OT, but are you still working at that LCS in West Philly? Where is it? I've lived in Philly for years and never realized there was a store there. I always wondered "why isn't there a store on Penn's campus?"

chris stevens
08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
i have read the proverbial ton of comics over the last few months. the new stuff every wednesday, stacks of trades to be caught up on, brand new to me series to jump into...bit of a comics cornucopia from the reading end of things.
here are some books, creators, and in general that stands out...

jeff lemire: i was given a copy of 'the nobody' back in march. it was the first of a bunch of ogn's bob schreck was setting up to come through his office at vertigo, so i was intrigued and although i hadn't read lemire's essex county stuff i'd heard great things about this relatively new creator. turns out they were all true. catches something ephemeral with such a firm grasp...not easy to manage yet it seems to come naturally to jeff lemire, who is the most exciting new storyteller i've seen since kikuo johnson back in 2005.

the lone ranger: the cassaday covers caught my eye. perfect mix of iconic and spare. there's a heaviness that drips through them into the book and elevates the already fine work of sergio cariello to the point where this book delivers as sound a visual treat month-in-month-out as anything coming out.
it's a fantastic distillation and carrying-on of the lone ranger legend, complete with a gorgeous and poetic 11 page paul pope sequence, 'the wolf'.

captain stoneheart&the truth fairy: this might be familiar to any dw denizen seeing how a nearly perpetual ad banner runs for it up top here. hip flask and elephantmen are one of my few current on-going comics obsessions.

richard starkings, ladronn, moritat and the comicraft crew produce beautiful hardcover collections of the hip flask one-shots and the elephantmen monthly. this is the newest one i've picked up, a gloriously produced oversized edition of what amounts to a one-shot by joe kelly and chris bachalo. sadly, however, the two best things about this book(outside of the cover) are the lettering, which has a really epic shine to it and reminds me of the glimmer in first seeing 'hook' on laser disc back in the early 90's, and the inclusion of joe kelly's script for the book, which sings out in high fantasy style.

so my problem is with chris bachalo? yeah. i love the guy, but this is another entry in the ever-growing log of muddled books the superstar artist has drawn over the last 10 years. his stuff's become chaotic and difficult to read and here, in a bonus section where we get a great look at an entire set of his pencils, sans lettering, it becomes clear it's not just poor coloring(although aron lusen's muddy work is a disappointment)but something deeper that lies in the choices bachalo is making as a storyteller and a stylist that marks the distance between the artist who worked on sandman, shade, and gen x and this current chris bachalo, who still retains a singular look whether it's here or last week's 'sinister spider-man' mini. i just wish it was a look i could get into.

lot's more to come, including cover vs. cover, a look at the work of dave mckean and james jean on the sandman and fables series. and who are the new dw diamonds in the rough? also, an appreciation of ed mcguinness' red hulk work and a round table with philly area creators...

Jason Copland
08-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, Jeff Lemire's "The Nobody" was a no brainer for me after reading his Essex Trilogy. It definitely didn't disappoint. I'm looking forward to his "Sweet Tooth" ongoing from Vertigo.

NaveenM
08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
...and a round table with philly area creators...

Would like to hear more...

j giar
08-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Man it's nice to have you back writing this thread again.

chris stevens
08-14-2009, 05:17 PM
"We’re in this really weird place in comics right now where amazingly aesthetic and commercially successful graphic novels are falling out of the sky faster than they can be counted, and yet the sheer volume of releases is dragging the average velocity down considerably."

i found that to be an interesting, and on the money, observation by brian hibbs, taken from today's installment of his indispensable 'tilting at windmills' column over at cbr.

i'm trying to write this and this little smiley thing over to the right of when you are typing is bouncing away like it just snorted an 8-ball in one shot. there, now he's settled down...

i received a copy of james jean's 'kindling' book in the mail yesterday. this book, a collection of 12 paintings taken from james' first solo gallery show back in january, contains a gatefold poster/print of 'the toymaker'. this painting has haunted my thoughts since i first saw it. with the original having sold for $48 thousand and a limited-to-50 print edition that retailed for $600 and sold out immediately, this book was the only chance to really sit with the work and it is no disappointment. i sat and pored over it for an hour last night, absorbed in the effortless recollection of the past and immediate drive into the future that james has managed with this gorgeous, otherworldly evocation of santa claus. my camera is broken or i'd provide a picture.

RonaldMontgomery
08-14-2009, 05:38 PM
http://omgposters.com/2009/01/15/james-jean-art-prints-available/

NaveenM
08-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Checked out the link. Too good to describe...just one look and it's embedded in my subconscious.

chris stevens
08-15-2009, 02:36 AM
i find this one laughable, about as heartfelt and after the fact as the author's graphic novel from a couple years ago...

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22550

this pigeon shit 'story' clogged the comic book airwaves for a solid month surrounding the industry's biggest bash, san diego comic con. a book that, left to its own obvious merits, would have fought to find a place in the publishing schedule of rob liefeld's extreme studios, managed to sell a lot of copies and generate heavy attention. for a simple comparison, contrast the amount of coverage garnered by 'mayhem' #1 and darwyn cooke's 'hunter' ogn from idw.
the rolling stone's 'starfucker' bumps on in the background.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6384/l8f869c3be78e7842aa8187.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=l8f869c3be78e7842aa8187.jpg)

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6/lbd4d9661acafc2a7e0799d.th.jpg (http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lbd4d9661acafc2a7e0799d.jpg)

art from a new project. no point even naming these things anymore until they materialize. i have high hopes for this one.

MARS
08-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Those big dangley earrings on her are hottt.

M.

chris stevens
08-18-2009, 01:08 PM
glad you dig.

here's a couple of pages from two of my good friends.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5877/missiondesign01.th.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=missiondesign01.jpg)

this is a concept drawing from early in the development of an animated film senk chhour has been working on. i've seen a ton of material from this project and it's the best work senk has ever done.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7109/lestrygonians1.th.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lestrygonians1.jpg)
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/497/lestrygonians2.th.jpg (http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lestrygonians2.jpg)

two pages from stephen gilpin's brilliant 'the lestrygonians' comic. i can't get enough of this stuff.

chris stevens
08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
i find it, christ, i don't have the word, but i find it something that the letterer forum is easily the most interesting, edifying part of this site nowadays. anyone interested in the craft of comics, and, occasionally, comics lore, should be tuning in over there.

that said, where is the new crop of interesting artists&writers? or the older dudes who have done good? maybe i'm missing something. i know some of you read this regularly and i'm asking you to throw it at me if i'm missing it.

Jason Copland
08-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, it's pretty quiet 'round these parts. Not sure, exactly...

JamieRoberts
08-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Depends how you define 'old guys done good' really. Success stories of varying degrees apply to Jorge Vega, Nick Pitarra, Mark Robinson, Khoi Pham, DJ Coffman, Ray and Renae, Tony Lee and Joh James. I'm positive there are more. I just woke up, though, so brain isn't functioning. After being a part of this site for about 5 years or so, it's great to be able to go into the store and actually grab a handful of books by guys from DW. That said, there has been a lack of creativity around here for a while, which could be down to people not having the time, or hopefully they're too busy working on their comics. The issue of negativity and paper-thin critiques has been raised in the past, which could account for the relative silence. I wonder if this situation applies across other comics forums or just DW.

Jason Copland
08-22-2009, 03:18 AM
That said, there has been a lack of creativity around here for a while, which could be down to people not having the time, or hopefully they're too busy working on their comics. The issue of negativity and paper-thin critiques has been raised in the past, which could account for the relative silence.
This is the case for me. I've been pretty busy doing art for some pitches and short stories which I don't feel right about posting around, too much. And the negativity was something that was bringing me down. Recently, I have decided to put my work out here for feedback (good or bad). Partly to promote myself more but mostly to get fresh eyes on my stuff to help make me a better artist. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

After being a part of this site for about 5 years or so, it's great to be able to go into the store and actually grab a handful of books by guys from DW.
You should be able to go in and grab a few things of mine in the coming year, the most visible probably being a full issue of Todd Dezago and Craig Rousseau's Perhapanauts, late this year/early next. :whistlin:

JamieRoberts
08-22-2009, 09:02 AM
This is the case for me. I've been pretty busy doing art for some pitches and short stories which I don't feel right about posting around, too much. And the negativity was something that was bringing me down. Recently, I have decided to put my work out here for feedback (good or bad). Partly to promote myself more but mostly to get fresh eyes on my stuff to help make me a better artist. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

You should be able to go in and grab a few things of mine in the coming year, the most visible probably being a full issue of Todd Dezago and Craig Rousseau's Perhapanauts, late this year/early next. :whistlin:
Excellent!

chris stevens
08-22-2009, 09:25 AM
what'd you delete, josh? and it's nice to see you here as i was, just this morning, thinking of you and abigail&rox. did you see sibar's stuff in 'bang tango'? and how's #2 coming along? i'm looking forward to it.

jamie, i've picked up books by just about everyone you mentioned, even if some are books i pretty much know i won't like, because of a sense of supporting the community here. so i know what you mean when you say it's cool to hit the shop and see books on the shelves by dw'ers.

jason, i know i saw some work from you in a perhapanauts issue. that's sweet you've got a full issue on the way! keep us posted.

i brought this up not to be negative but honestly just out of the simple fact that it struck me funny that the letterer forum has become, for me at least, the most interesting part of dw.

MARS
08-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I would hope that the silence you hear is the concentrating of the number 2 pencil.
;)

Bueller? Bueller?

I dunno i'm still here. I am with Jamie ( thanks Jamie for supporting). I think at some point those around these parts that "do" and "doing". I post because i want to share stuff i'm working on and to flat out pimp my game. There are many eyeballs who watch this site.

I have given up on the popularity contest that goes on around these parts a long time ago. So for me... It's just to show that i'm walking that walk. I'll put my pencil where my mouth is any day of the week. ( except sunday night for Entourage)

If you speak of inspiration, i come here for that too. I silently stalk other artists on here for that. But mostly i like to call people on their nonsense ( they know who they are. The arm chair quarterbacks of the comic industry)... Chris, you and i have talked about this.I am just more vocal on it. You are more diplomatic. I don't have time for such things. I like to microwave my conversations.

I think things get wayyy misconstrued and taken out of context around here. And passive aggressiveness rules the dominion. This is why i encourage making it out to the shows (cons). I think that's when stuff gets negative. At least in the art threads. I'm not worried about what happens in the "community threads" like here- because i look at it like a conversation. If you don't like what someone says about something you are free to disagree and say whatever you like but be accountable for that. Because i myself included have backpedaled and took things out of context. It happens. It's all about interpretation of events.

The one thing i have noticed lately is people using the line " If you read what i said here nonsense you'd understand what i'm saying..."

Really? Is that all it is? I doubt it.

Shit dude. You know me and you (Chris) go at it almost every time we chat. It's funny, but it's all good. I have YET to not be in a conversation about art or comics that doesn't turn into an argument. And i love when some DWs play that down.

I have noticed that more what seems like "beginners" post their artwork in the art forums. What do you say to them? Learn to draw better i guess. Keep trying? Cary has his thing over there... but people want people to see their work and go WOW you are something. When we all know there's miles to go before we sleep.

I see dudes( the "critters) get pissed off when they post a crit. and there's backlash from the artist. At times some go as far to "draw" over top of the drawing. I don't get that either nor am i a fan of this. It's degrading if you ask me. I remember i had people in art school who did that to me and at the time we had one word for those guys:

"Dickheads."

I think that's more about the person giving the crit than the actual person getting it. There's some big egos around here.I am one of them. But i can admit it. I think some others around here need to check that. I see notihng wrong with sending someone an PM message with all that in there. It gives the person an option to work with you then if the need help or want it. Most just want to post shit.

Contrary to what most may believe but i feel most people who post here are just comic heads. Fans. People with sucky office jobs with too mush time on their hands and are passing the time playing art director for the day. Or just bored. It's not really a bad thing. It's the way it is with Comics.

This place reminds of every weds. @ my LCS. Alot of shit talking. Good and bad. It's sports talk for nerds. Fun.

So i think you get that from that. Then there's the back patters ( ungh, my favorite. The DW brew crew if you will). Which at this point i'm thinking... If you don't know your the stuff isn't good? But i could be looked at like that as well. But i like to drop stuff here too because i have come to realize when myself or Mr. Pham drops something in there it brings out the best in some other posters. The threads light up with new art and that's cool. ( there are others btw. I'm just going for the immediate what i know)

It's good to know that there's a pulse out there. That's why i like this place. I do this because i want people to see my artwork and be inspired. Point. Blank.Period.

I'd be lying if i said there was any other reasoning. This (thread) seems to be one of those places tho that we all seem come for a calm meeting of the creative minds. So take comfort in that all is not loss Chris.

Ups and downs.

That's the comicbook life. It's crazy... This webiste is the first place i go now after i check my email and websites. I am invested at this point.

I am interested in hearing what my peer group has to say even tho i know 99 percent of the time it's not going to be what i wanna hear and i'm going to get annoyed. It's the 1%...

...That one percent keeps me coming back because i know someone is going to say something brilliant eventually.

So... I think you aren't missing anything basically...It happens in those little spells. The big wheel in the comic sky is turning don't worry Chris...

It always does.

Peace,

M.

JamieRoberts
08-22-2009, 10:17 AM
On a related note, I wonder if some creators are coming to a point where they have to re-evaluate their goals. Comics are more varied than ever, despite the seemingly compulsory naysaying regarding the 'Big 2', and I think we're sufficiently removed from the 90s that those who once harboured hopes of being the next big thing in superheroes can now see value in being the next big thing, period.

MARS
08-22-2009, 10:54 AM
On a related note, I wonder if some creators are coming to a point where they have to re-evaluate their goals. Comics are more varied than ever, despite the seemingly compulsory naysaying regarding the 'Big 2', and I think we're sufficiently removed from the 90s that those who once harboured hopes of being the next big thing in superheroes can now see value in being the next big thing, period.

I feel you on that Jamie.

It's Bret Farve disease for me. Everytime i look to move on ( i have thought about 3 times in the past year myself) i get an offer to do more work. Which i take because drawing comics is the best job in the world most days. I can't stop jonesn' for it. Comics are a drug for me. It's more about an experience than anything. I am loving being part of something rooted in tradition and now infused with the pop culture. Who wouldn't?

For myself- as a creator. I will tell you this. I am determined to make a dent in this industry ( superheroes will do for now because i can do it). I feel better than ever about my drawing skill set these days. I'm in a good place. I never envy anyone in a slump. It's the worst.

I think when you get hungry for it. Then dreams don't manifest as you want. Then you falter and seem to fall. But when you get back up somebodies gonna notice that. Comics are a marathon. Slow and steady wins.

You start to really give a shit about your work. You stop compromising it. I realize that i'm alot slower now when it comes to pages (um sorry to my editors who are AWESOME btw). I can bust them out when i'm gotta tho ( to my editors who are UNDERSTANDING btw). But i am becoming more meticulous about what i turn in now. Detail freak should be tattooed on my skull. I don't buck at feeling " if i don't get this in i'm fucked forever concept anymore". I do want to please my employers ( and i gotta feel that i do because i am still there :blink: ). But i want to feel strong in my product. Because i think people ultimately see that effort and will support it.

It's interesting you said that about the 90's thing. I think i remember the 90's because they are the renegades. Lee, Silvestri,Valentino,McFarlene, Larson,Liefield... I don't know if i wanna "be" any of those guys but i wanna "be a part of a shift like they were. They broke away and shifted the industry. I think we are ready for another shift. Right now i feel it's just about putting in the groundwork.

Then comes the takeover. 'Cuz apparently i ain't goin' nowhere just yet.

Peace,

M.

j giar
08-22-2009, 11:30 AM
I've noticed the change here over the last year or so. I've personally taken a step back away from producing a comic to re-evaluate my work and my art. Focusing on improving my storytelling abilities. Both visually and in written word. I don't post everything, but what I do post I do to pimp myself, my work and hopefully get some good feedback on what I can improve. Because we can always improve. I give crits when I can and cringe when I see those artists that post work and get defensive about criticism. Or cringe even more when the newbs light into a posting artist instead of providing good honest criticism. I love comics, I love creating comics and I love this place.
It and it's members inspire, piss me off and drive me to become better.
Sure the "dickheads" ,as Mark called them, make me feel I want to step away for awhile. But it's the fellow creators, artists, wrtiers, folks I've come to know as friends, whether we ever meet face to face or not, that keep me coming back.
Those that have helped me, Chris you being one of the first, to advance in the struggle to become a better storyteller.
I have a genuine love to create. Something we all have in common. Whether it's on a keypad, a drawing table or a laptop. I'm excited by the direction comics are headed and give a big "fuck you" to those that say this industry is doomed. I think Mark's right, this medium is due for a shift and I too want to be part of that. As self serving as that may sound.
I'm gearing up to a start a project with a fellow DW'er which I'm really...really excited about. Another reason I took a step back to re-evaluate where I'm at and where I'm headed. Something we're all prone to do as creative individuals....self doubt included.

MARS
08-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm excited by the direction comics are headed and give a big "fuck you" to those that say this industry is doomed.

Word.

M.

MARS
08-22-2009, 11:43 AM
To add...

It's getting old right? I am so over it when the doomsayer threads start. When i see them i go in guns blazin and my only thought is:

Shut.It. Down.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. And i will ask as a question of etiquette as we pass by them...

"Do they want the ass or the crotch?"

M.

Jason Copland
08-22-2009, 12:01 PM
To add...
"Do they want the ass or the crotch?"
:laugh:

Lovecraft13
08-22-2009, 12:41 PM
what'd you delete, josh? and it's nice to see you here as i was, just this morning, thinking of you and abigail&rox. did you see sibar's stuff in 'bang tango'? and how's #2 coming along? i'm looking forward to it.

It wasn't anything big. I just thought touching up on your point about a DW-slowdown had the possibility to saturate your blog with a heated debate with the sensitive types. So outta respect, I deleted the post.

A&R II is coming along. As you know, these things take time to produce. When it's finished, it'll be something like a 130-page project. The scripts are ready for a letterer, and the book is getting colored. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be ready for a 2009 release, and I don't want to risk a solicitation in Diamond for an unfinished book. But 2010 is a sure bet.

I did catch Adrian's work in TANGO. It really dig it. I was lucky enough to have him come back to provide a new cover for the A&R sequel.

josephrey
08-22-2009, 05:26 PM
bbq. summer is running thin!

L Jamal
08-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I've noticed the change here over the last year or so.
I think there a big shift here when Digital Webbing Presents (DWP) closed down and there wasn't an easy means to get published. A lot of the DWP creators were the life blood here and have gone on to do bigger projects. We've lost our Mahmuds, Cinars, Wyas, etc and for the most part that talent void hasn't been filled and a lot of new talent don't post they just answer talent search ads.

Additionally, you've got communities like DeviantArt where it's a lot easier to get crits without them devolving into conflicts.

chris stevens
08-22-2009, 11:37 PM
bbq soon for sure, joe! and i need to catch up with kettner too, did you move in?

hey josh, that's great to hear a&r has gotten that big, sweet! keep me posted.

in terms of getting to the root of the feeling i was expressing in my initial post on the subject, i think jamal hit it on the head where he says for the most part the talent void hasn't been filled. here's hoping that changes soon.

josephrey
08-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I think there [was] a big shift here when Digital Webbing Presents (DWP) closed down and there wasn't an easy means to get published.

well there you go. there needs to be a reason for someone to show up. at any base level a user wants to be satiated to a certain extent with their experience here- whether that be thru comments on their work or general comradery with other folk. if more folk are leaving there's less of a venue for any of those, and a general snowballing effect of disinterest begins.

ya, in! move went well, still need to unpack a good deal. i set up my bed, drawing table, and book shelves and then progress slowed....

j giar
08-23-2009, 01:17 PM
I think there a big shift here when Digital Webbing Presents (DWP) closed down and there wasn't an easy means to get published. A lot of the DWP creators were the life blood here and have gone on to do bigger projects. We've lost our Mahmuds, Cinars, Wyas, etc and for the most part that talent void hasn't been filled and a lot of new talent don't post they just answer talent search ads.

Additionally, you've got communities like DeviantArt where it's a lot easier to get crits without them devolving into conflicts.

I'm trying as hard as I can, man.
It'd be nice to see that change around here. There's a good core group of people that still frequent this place.

chris stevens
08-25-2009, 07:43 PM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2735/zeldaandchantalsmall.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/zeldaandchantalsmall.jpg/)

my pal farel dalrymple updated his journal, always a treat. that zelda&chantal is one in a long series of sandman commisions from this guy's collection...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=517043&GSub=30563

farel's done a bunch of wonderful characters so far, and there's a dream list(no pun intended) of other artists, including james jean, jason shawn alexander, and many more.

on another note, i'm glad to see my post here in this journal from a few days back seems to have inspired some folks to take up arms. or pens. or wacoms. more to come...

chris stevens
09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
lots going on. between my own dream compass and jungle jane projects finally getting on track and this new dw book, which is going to rock, and some other obligations (christ, kettner, if you happen to read this i'm trying man, it's just moving slow!) life is hectic and, well, alive. here's a few quick pics with absolutely no theme...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6060/august09015.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/i/august09015.jpg/)

my old cat and my new cat, madly in love. can you tell which is which?

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1708/014n.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/i/014n.jpg/)

my friend tex cobb at my apartment on the phone with a guy he hadn't heard from in 9 years. i'm working with tex on a graphic novel about his days at the historic joe frazier's gym. jason rodriguez gave me one of those you-get-chills bits of guidance today regarding the project. we shall see...

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7227/august09001copycopy.th.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/i/august09001copycopy.jpg/)

ok, i have bad choppers. so here's my wife taking the piss out of me and me painting her lips like a clown. watch out greg land, i'm coming for you!

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/2422/005zbq.th.jpg (http://img2.imageshack.us/i/005zbq.jpg/)

the inside front cover of the limited-to-100 pop gun war two preview. all kinds of genius in there. that sketch of emily is ballpoint pen. sigh.

and y'know, i like to fuck around and try to cook. some folks even tell me i do good things. but check out the food kenichi hoshine is making in his apartment.

http://twitter.com/politewinter

not really a surprise i guess considering the artist he is. but christ, it's kind of like finding out how good a horn player james jean is. some folks got a spoil of riches.

chris stevens
09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRp1G8Po3tM

i used to call some of these entries song of the minute...listen to guitarist extraordinaire john frusciante find his new self...particularly from 3:43 on, if you dig guitar poets...humbles me, humbles me.

chris stevens
09-03-2009, 04:48 PM
"...and so i live with a lot of questions, and i find that entertaining."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M50Mjdsh_iw

king.

Jason Copland
09-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for link, Chris. Interesting.

chris stevens
09-04-2009, 12:10 AM
man, their used to be a clip on youtube of frank miller in his manhattan studio showing off pages from the 'holy terror' project...if anyone can dig up a link to that i'd pay a thousand kisses. i can't find it for the trying.

MARS
09-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Dude.

If you are trying to get me all pumper up for this DW project by posting that Kirby link.

It worked.

Kirby is the man. Hands down.

I am down with the King.

M.

j giar
09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Downloaded for future viewing. Thanks Chris. I grew up reading Kirby and other than the normal Marvel stuff...I was all over his work on The Demon and Kamandi.

chris stevens
09-04-2009, 11:12 AM
yeah, i used to have an old vcr tape with that interview and others, including an equally insightful&important interview with moebius. if i can find a link i'll post it here.

kamandi is easily my favorite of kirby's 70's work. it was a bit before my time so i didn't read it growing up but i got into it about 5 years back and recently picked up an entire dog-eared run of the single issues. big score. i've got the complete demon hardcover but i've only flipped through it so far.

chris stevens
09-06-2009, 01:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1xUqOd15XE

i love dave sim and couldn't care less if he's 'crazy', which, to me at least, he seems far from. glamourpuss is one of my favorite books running. sim's a beast.

this is from the same documentary as the kirby. can't find that moebius interview, it's one that always has stuck with me. in it he talks about the responsibility of an artist to the work and his own values. worth seeking out if you can find it.

j giar
09-06-2009, 10:11 AM
kamandi is easily my favorite of kirby's 70's work. it was a bit before my time so i didn't read it growing up but i got into it about 5 years back and recently picked up an entire dog-eared run of the single issues. big score. i've got the complete demon hardcover but i've only flipped through it so far.

Thanks for remindin' me how old I am.

chris stevens
09-07-2009, 04:36 PM
ah, you're one of the youngest guys on here, jim, where it counts.

"ALRIGHT. I'M PYSCHED UP, I'VE GOT BLOOD UP TO MY ELBOWS, VEINS IN MY TEETH AND MY HELMET AND KNEEPADS SECURELY FASTENED. LET'S GET OUT THERE AND MAKE TROUBLE!"

those are the opening lines of script to watchmen #1.

happy labor day.

chris stevens
09-11-2009, 05:34 PM
"the brain is an organ of entertainment, sensitive at any depth, and over a wide spectrum.but we have learned to mistrust and despise our human aptitude for being entertained, and in that sense we get the entertainment we deserve."

"all novels are sequels;influence is bliss."

two quotes from master writer michael chabon, taken from his 'maps and legends'. you can replace 'novels' with movies or songs or tv shows or...comics.

chris stevens
09-17-2009, 07:05 PM
not sure how many, if any, of you folks are into it but john frusciante plays a version of eddie hazel's masterpiece 'maggot brain' on his new album. frusciante calls it 'before the beginning' and it's a gorgeous homage to hazel's epic, itself an homage of sorts to jim hendrix's 'little wing'.

j giar
09-17-2009, 07:28 PM
not sure how many, if any, of you folks are into it but john frusciante plays a version of eddie hazel's masterpiece 'maggot brain' on his new album. frusciante calls it 'before the beginning' and it's a gorgeous homage to hazel's epic, itself an homage of sorts to jim hendrix's 'little wing'.

Back in the day...On Saturday nights whilst we sat around enjoying the effects of the evenings party favors, our local radio station always played two songs usually back to back, that always brought a howl out of us all. One was Maggot Brain ("Drown in your own shit.") and the other was Alex Harvey Bands, Faith Healer.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
09-18-2009, 06:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1xUqOd15XE
in it he talks about the responsibility of an artist to the work and his own values. worth seeking out if you can find it.

One of the artists in the book Panel Discussions talks a bit about that. Or similar to that. Very interesting.

chris stevens
09-19-2009, 12:29 AM
i have read hundreds and hundreds of comics this year. mostly every damn thing that comes out each week, from marvel to markosia, as well as dozens of trades and collections and old archival stuff. out of all those books the best read might have been a re-read and catching-up on 'fables'. the most engrossing book, without a doubt, was 'the sons of cain', by charlie fetherolf.

'the sons of cain' is a thematic sequel, of sorts, to fetherolf's earlier 'giants in the earth', a self-published b&w rumination on, of all things, creation itself.
in '...cain ', fetherolf deepens the storytelling gifts on display in 'giants...' and manages to create real time in an out of time setting, not an easy thing to do, and he does it with seeming ease--flawless storytelling that is patient and powerful, hints of the muscular grace and natural ease of the great john buscema, and a poetic, thoughtful voice that speaks life and death in the one language that counts, mortality.

this book is in diamond this month, from giant earth press.
i urge you to check it out. it's the kind of book that gets lost amongst all the dazzling colors of the big two and in this particular case, that would be a sin.

chris stevens
09-21-2009, 12:46 AM
i forgot to mention that charlie fetherolf goes by the name dickieh8 here at dw, and is handling 'the billy goats gruff' for the 'fairytales in the future' book i'm putting together. excited about that one, i am.

some other comics i've really enjoyed recently:

sweet tooth #1 : i remember schreck showing me some of the art over a year ago, and describing the pitch he would never accept on the surface but then getting one page in and having to take it straight to karen berger. i can see why. great first issue, great creator.

beasts of burden #1 : dw's own jason arthur lettered this beautiful, funny, smart comic about a crew of talking animals who serve as the supernatural guardians of their small town, burden hill. evan dorkin and jill thompson give each animal its own distinct personality with a minimum of effort and a lot of ummph. can't wait for the next issue.

dark avengers #9 : mike deodato might be the best storyteller working in superhero books right now. i'm amazed it's the same guy who broke big on a t&a wonder woman book back in the 90's. he constantly finds interesting ways to make brian bendis' talky scripts visually arresting, and for me, he's the ideal collaborator for bendis, a writer whose work i sometimes enjoy but whose books tend to bore the shit out of me visually. deodato, with rain beredo supplying the color work, is at the point i'll pick up anything he does.

captain carrot #1-7 : re-read these last week, one each morning. they hold up surprisingly well. sure, roy thomas' puns get to the 'aw, christ' point--and quickly, too--but there's a joy in the characters, most often provided by the art of scott shaw!, that's undeniable. there's a classic team dynamic that you have to give thomas, no matter how corny and wink-wink his scripts get, credit for, and the character designs still give me a smile. the 'bunny from beyond' two parter is the highlight of these 7 issues. check it out if you get a chance.

chris stevens
09-29-2009, 01:15 AM
i've been so broke that the only way i've had any money in my pocket the last 2 months came from selling off chunks of my collection. to be fair, i only got rid of 100 or so books, and what you'll see here isn't a 1/4 of my remaining collection. but those books are stored at my mom's place, and here you'll see the only books worth keeping to me...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4808/001eh.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/i/001eh.jpg/)

farthest right, unable to really be seen, is the gigantic little nemo collection, 'so many splendid sundays'. here's one of my favorite sequences from inside...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1183/002nx.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/i/002nx.jpg/)

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1925/003tx.th.jpg (http://img18.imageshack.us/i/003tx.jpg/)

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4649/004pg.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/i/004pg.jpg/)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6770/005dz.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/005dz.jpg/)

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9731/006af.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/i/006af.jpg/)

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1632/007tu.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/i/007tu.jpg/)

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6879/008um.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/008um.jpg/)

chris stevens
09-30-2009, 09:44 PM
congrats to jamal&family, who brought a baby girl into the world yesterday. many blessings!

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6389/august09003d.th.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/august09003d.jpg/)

me, wife, kitten. this cat, i love her, she's cute as a button, but she tortures me. i try to sleep past 7am and she pounces on me, bounces off my stomach in manic bounds, licks my face, bites my feet...doesn't bother my wife, just me.

read 'the arrival' by shaun tan yesterday. flat-out masterpiece, one of the most potent, elegant examples i've ever seen of combining the real and the fantastic. tan jumps straight to the top of the list of important artists working today.

and hey, a friend of mine, dave proch, posted some pages he's been working hard on over in the sequential forum. no-one's offered any feedback and i was hoping some of you who read this journal could pop over there, check them out, and offer up some critiques. dave's a class guy who has an infectious love of comics and he's working hard to learn the ropes and make a book. the post is called 'bum sequentials', i'd appreciate any feedback you guys can give him.

chris stevens
10-01-2009, 12:06 AM
the 'hobodarkseid' thing...wow, that's what passes for smart,funny&clever?

really?

obnoxious and dumb, yes. but clever? 'casanova' was smart&clever. it's been downhill on rocketboots since then...

on another twitter-related note, i had a weird sense of disappointment a month or so back when i realized paul pope is on twitter. but at least his tweets are intelligent and usually interesting.

chris stevens
10-02-2009, 08:19 PM
god, i know i sound like i'm being negative, but is there a more bullshit 'news' site than bleeding cool?

rich johnston should make a comic with josh adams, a guy who tries to pull off the neat trick of living off of/making sure everyone knows he's not living off of his famous father, to grimacing effect.

someone, a guy i think has some respectability in the game, said to me recently in conversation about johnson, 'it's funny, he knows EVERYONE but he can't get work ANYWHERE.'

not that i expected much out of an avatar sponsored site, but at least 'lying in the gutters' was a nice dose of weekly guilty pleasure where the deficiencies of the 'journalism' really didn't matter; it was green-light/red-light gossip in small doses.

bleeding cool, and johnson's 'work' there, just showcase the depressing state of comics 'journalism'...hell, it's bad by any print tabloid standards.

i think guys like rich can serve their place in the industry. hell, i called him up one night, across the pond as they say, and he seemed like a nice enough guy. but christ, have some standards. bleeding cool, from the name down, is a bad joke.

chris stevens
10-08-2009, 11:55 PM
"the world is a hungry place, man." plural thought about it and then he said, "and whatever kind of thing you is, there's something out there that likes to eat it. it's natural. that's how the world keeps tidy."

from pete dexter's 'train', 2003.

powerful stuff done well, 'train' is like one of my favorite movies, 'l.a. confidential', but more worldly--or at least more aware of a world not all white--and with the slightest existential bent, even if it beats with such a pure 50's noir-heart you're begging for clive owen to burst through the door and play the lead, 'the mile away man', miller packard.

long week or so. tried writing 100 pages in a few days. got almost 24 good ones. i guess i'll call it even, only because delays on the artist's part made the deadline moot in the end. otherwise it would be a big failing on my end, teaching me, i think, once and for all to schedule my time right.

the dwpff project rolls on. looking good, if i say so myself. the whole process has been, in order, time-consuming, fun, annoying, uplifting, and exciting.
i'm petty enough to think about the handful of assholes who tried poking holes in the thing, but never so much that i remember their names. read some good scripts today(one great)and we'll open the artist submissions come monday.

my friend saj, a mutual grant morrison admirer, told me tonight some comic book 'journalist' said the end of 'planetary' was the type of thing grant morrison wishes he could write. i don't know grant morrison at all, but i can tell you, he never thinks about warren ellis when he's making wishes. maybe, in two or so decades, we'll have a real comics journalism. hopefully. most of what passes for that now is just insulting to people who give a fuck.

MARS
10-09-2009, 03:48 PM
So...

When are me, you and Joe drinking margaritas again?

M.

chris stevens
10-09-2009, 05:44 PM
sooner than later, one can hope!

and we'll have to do the drinking for joe, but i think we can handle that, don't you?

;)

chris stevens
10-10-2009, 01:04 PM
my father would have been 64 years old today. he died in 1988. i was 13 at the time and hadn't seen him since i was 2, even though we lived only 7 blocks apart.

there are invisible strains that leak from the pressure we all look away from and, over time, fill reservoirs of blood, bone, words, hope...but it's enough to learn how to swim, i think.

happy birthday, steven. venia quod salus,abbas.

chris stevens
10-22-2009, 12:38 PM
‘Nowadays’ is a civilization in which the prime emblems of poetry are
dishonored. In which serpent, lion and eagle belong to the
circus-tent; ox, salmon and boar to the cannery; racehorse and
greyhound to the betting ring; and the sacred grove to the saw-mill.
In which the Moon is despised as a burned-out satellite of the Earth
and woman reckoned as ‘auxiliary State personnel’. In which money will
buy almost anything but truth, and almost anyone but the
truth-possessed poet.'
— Robert Graves, Foreward to “The White Goddess: A Historical
Grammar of Poetic Myth”

dickieH8
10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
‘Nowadays’ is a civilization in which the prime emblems of poetry are
dishonored. In which serpent, lion and eagle belong to the
circus-tent; ox, salmon and boar to the cannery; racehorse and
greyhound to the betting ring; and the sacred grove to the saw-mill.
In which the Moon is despised as a burned-out satellite of the Earth
and woman reckoned as ‘auxiliary State personnel’. In which money will
buy almost anything but truth, and almost anyone but the
truth-possessed poet.'
— Robert Graves, Foreward to “The White Goddess: A Historical
Grammar of Poetic Myth”

Great quote. It almost begs to be interpreted as a 2-3 pager. Hmmmm?

chaz

RonaldMontgomery
10-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey, Chris!
I found a nice quote that made me think of the DWPFF project and doing hard things in general. It's from The Modern Firm by John Roberts:

"Finally, there must be courage to try for the distant and difficult and not to turn back when the transition is not easy and performance actually suffers. Such performance declines are almost inevitable during a major change operation. First, unless the firm can nimbly and accurately leap from peak to peak, the path from one to the other must lead downward in terms of the maximum attainable performance...Even if the firm can execute giant leaps (which means changing everything overnight, including values, norms, and reputations!), unless it is extremely accurate in its jumps, it will likely come down some distance from the other peak. Then performance will not be all that was expected."

Good luck to you, JRod, Jamal, and other folks helping to assemble the book. It's a tough job.

chris stevens
11-07-2009, 08:00 PM
comics!

recently read the entire run, mangy old single issues, of jack kirby's kamandi.

#1-40.

my fave kirby of that era, hands down. lots of it makes no sense, some of it is so obviously derivative, all of it is magical and a prime example of comics at their best.

i get a shake-my-head chuckle at the prevailing attitude of that era suggesting kirby was 'cheating' or being lazy by using a spread(double splash)on pages 2&3 of just about every issue...going on memory, i think he didn't do it twice the whole run, up to the late thirties, where it was clear he was losing steam on the book and, i'm guessing, being interfered with out the ass by editorial.

those spreads are gold! they are a big part of the reason the book is special and rises above its stock conventions. they're comics genius on glorious display, and i'm glad kirby kept on doing them even though, judging from the letters, the audience at the time felt they were being cheated.

reminds me of the english kids in bob dylan documentaries calling dylan 'rubbish' for making songs like 'maggie's farm' and 'like a rolling stone'.

it was a time-warp, too, reading those single issues and seeing the advertisements from those times...kirby was off the book by the time i was 2, but that run of ads, so innocent and goofy--army men, bb guns, whoopy cushions, x-ray glasses, vampire teeth--hit a young paul pope, a few years older than me, hard enough he covered the feeling in his issue of 'solo' from dc comics with 'life-size monster ghost'.

all hail the king.

Fred Duran
11-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Chris, I've just read this entire thread. Holy shit man.

You talk about reading comics and looking into older stuff a lot, so I thought I'd throw this at you: Komics "R" Us (http://komicsrus.blogspot.com/). There's a downloadable reader and a crapton of comics. Granted, a LOT of them aren't complete runs, but I read all of Sin City, all of 1602, 30 Days of Night, a nice bit of Frank Miller's Daredevil, The Dark Knight Returns, Hush, Batman Year One, All-Star Batman and Robin, and even Batman and the Spirit.

There's a whole bunch of other stuff up there that I haven't checked out, but I thought I'd throw that up here for you and anyone else.

-Fred

bholliday
11-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Chris I just found this thread and read through every page despite it being the early hours of the morning here.

Some beautiful art and really nice insights into comics and the world, littered throughout the pages! Found out a few things about DW aswell :)

B

Aaron Walther
11-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Dude, I'm in the middle of reading Kamandi and it is, thus far, easily some of my favorite comics ever.

I also agree about reading the letter columns. I couldn't believe the amount of people complaining about the splash pages or ripping off Planet of the Apes.

I've not read a ton of older comics, but in the early issues Kirby really shows a mastery of telling a complete story in each panel. No space is wasted, and the splash pages are splash pages because they have that much more story to tell. All in all, it's pretty amazing stuff.

j giar
11-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Chris,
I was a kid during those times. I still own copies of Kirby's The Demon. Most memorable being Kamandi and the issue with the mutant bats. The 60's and 70's were an amazing time in comics. Kirby, Romita, The Buscema's, Colan.....man. I remember going to the local drugstore to check out new issues. Or the drug store in the mall. My stepdad bought me issues of The Fantastic Four, Werewolf By Night, Ghost Rider, Tomb of Dracula, Spider-Man, Thor, (the Sal Buscema run) So much more....to this day one of the best times of my life. And that's how deep my love for the medium runs...it's in our blood, brother. J.

chris stevens
11-14-2009, 12:45 PM
thanks guys. i haven't really been replying personally lately but i appreciate the words from all. nice to see this thing is positive for some folks.

here's something i've been smiling over for days...

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1531/672u.th.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/672u.jpg/)

main street, chimp city, africa, the future.

j giar
11-14-2009, 03:11 PM
thanks guys. i haven't really been replying personally lately but i appreciate the words from all. nice to see this thing is positive for some folks.

here's something i've been smiling over for days...

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1531/672u.th.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/672u.jpg/)

main street, chimp city, africa, the future.

Is this the Jungle Jane project....glad to see it's still alive.

chris stevens
11-14-2009, 08:40 PM
hey jim, yes, that's jungle jane. i thought of zoe&you when i posted it.

chris stevens
11-27-2009, 12:04 AM
"thanks for indians to provide a modicum of challenge and danger..."

ah, bill burroughs, you great black bastard...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8m_J6sXj_0

i remember hearing this on some late night show almost 20 years ago, before i came to know and respect burroughs life&work. kinda has the same scouring effect all these years later.

lots to be thankful for. one simple, deep pleasure was talking on the phone with arthur adams last night. any one who talks to me or has read this journal knows what arthur means to me, how deep he taps into that reserve of perfect joy comics afforded in my boyhood, a joy i strive to re-interpret&recreate in my own work, buoyed by the fact i have guys like arthur in my corner.

outside of a fantastic buzz and thanksgiving sentiment, i think i called arthur--something always fraught with thrill and nerves, because arthur's a busy guy who enjoys life and no matter who i talk to or what i do he'll always be ART ADAMS to me--because i had his hulk stuff on my mind. i'd recently seen the hulk hardcover with sketchbook material from ed mcguinness, frank cho, and arthur. seeing arthur's stuff in there gave me a rise, and it made me realize how lucky i am, because i had these pages just like the ones in the book, but these were for my story, from my hand.

i moved to philadelphia in august 08. we had some problems in the building, and bounced to three different apartments in the first 3 months. the last move, the work crew threw my boxes of notebooks&papers into the building garbage dump. over 10 years of valued, one-of-a-kind papers.

i got lucky later that day, digging through maggots and diapers and spoiled meat, to recover 90% of the material, including all of arthur's doodlings on the original script he had asked me to mail him. and i'm very thankful for that.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8452/img0001ha.th.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/img0001ha.jpg/)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1430/imgwrb.th.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/imgwrb.jpg/)

chris stevens
12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
bunch of things on my mind right now, the suicide season kicks in full gear and it's hard not to think of friends, gone now like old ghosts, and the haunted faces in the streets that bob dylan sang about when he was my age. things go from being poetic lines to poor realities and i don't think you can tell the difference half the time.

i've been thinking a lot about herman melville, who is far from my favorite writer but i find the facts of his life stuck in my head...

"he informed me that he had ‘pretty much made up his mind to be annihilated'; but still he does not seem to rest in that anticipation, and I think will never rest until he gets hold of some definite belief. it is strange how he persists…in wandering to and fro over these deserts, as dismal and monotonous as the sandhills amidst which we were sitting. he can neither believe, nor be comfortable in his unbelief; and he is too honest and courageous not to try one or the other."

nathaniel hawthorne speaking on his good friend melville in the years following the publication of ‘moby dick’, a book melville received no advance for and which in fact ruined his standing as popular writer and celebrity of the times. melville died poor and forgotten, to be resurrected nearly 30 years later on the centennial of his birth as the object of an american quest for the modern self.

live in the all, herman, live in the all.

--

i thought this newest entry was a great piece of writing from paul pope, he's describing something ephemeral and nails it...one day paul will write a book as good as he draws and on that day he'll have his masterpiece. he's already given so much.

http://pulphope.blogspot.com/

--

not long ago i took a shot at matt fraction here. the truth is, fraction is a polarizing figure to me, a guy i love and get sick of in equal measure. his college-kid snarkiness kills me and his casanova makes me want to try harder, i think casanova is the best book of the last 5 years. this might be old news to folks but i just came across it and it's a great read-through...

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=7178&page=1

--

the dwpff project rolls on. i don't really talk about it here, there's other threads for that. but it made me feel good to replace one guy who casually wasted two months of the book's time with another guy who's an eisner and ignatz award nominee. call me petty.

--

no art today, next time...

Dan Hill
12-04-2009, 02:59 AM
not long ago i took a shot at matt fraction here. the truth is, fraction is a polarizing figure to me, a guy i love and get sick of in equal measure. his college-kid snarkiness kills me and his casanova makes me want to try harder, i think casanova is the best book of the last 5 years. this might be old news to folks but i just came across it and it's a great read-through...

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=7178&page=1

That's an excellent thread. I asked a few questions there (mostly about influences and the possibility of a Casanova script book).

I've recently re-read his run on Immortal Iron Fist with Brubaker. I wasn't a fan on the first read through but something just clicked this time through. Aja's art is gorgeous.

He also did an interview with John Siuntres on Word Balloon recently which is a good listen (there is snark though, so beware).

chris stevens
12-05-2009, 03:48 AM
hey dan, i saw that and wondered if it was you. i need to catch up on fraction's iron-fist, i've only read the first collection. liked it. aja is great.

all this fairytale stuff reminded me today how much i love this pic...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/609/img0001wi.th.jpg (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/img0001wi.jpg/)

from this jeff campbell sketchbook...

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3597/imgfs.th.jpg (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/imgfs.jpg/)

i'd walk on hot coals if i could get jeff to do a pin-up for me.

chris stevens
12-06-2009, 07:09 PM
i always got a kick out of this little strip, and as a kid it fascinated me because it was a glimpse into the life of one of my favorite people ever...getting to know him a bit these last 5 years, doesn't seem like much has changed... :)

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9269/imgd.th.jpg (http://img51.imageshack.us/i/imgd.jpg/)

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7364/img0001v.th.jpg (http://img51.imageshack.us/i/img0001v.jpg/)

this was at the back of this comic...

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7193/img0002ur.th.jpg (http://img29.imageshack.us/i/img0002ur.jpg/)

arthur also did a short in the back of a 'fish police' comic that i read a 100 times when i was a kid. i'll see if i can dig it up...

dickieH8
12-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Those are cool. Speaking of influences I was turned on to this: http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogspot.com/ in the Lettering Forum and haven't been able to stop looking at all the sweet goodness that lies within. It's like buried treasure.

Well, to me anyway.

chaz

chris stevens
12-08-2009, 03:41 AM
looking forward to checking out that link when i've got a little more gas, charlie.
right now i just finished some late night wind-down reading, the surprisingly delightful 'gotham city sirens' 4-6. the best 'joker' story in ages and a great little bat-universe tale. guillem march does a splendid take on a certain era of the joker mythos and paul dini's timing and characterizations are spot-on.

and is everyone reading 'beasts of burden'? dw's jason arthur letters it and it's my favorite book coming out now. #3 just hit the shelves last week. buy it. it's pure comix goodness.

jrod
12-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Here's one for your journal, Chris. A review of Postcards recently posted that's centered on how awesome your story is: http://www.examiner.com/x-29311-Atlantic-City-Literary-Scene-Examiner~y2009m11d22-Postcards-part-two-The-convincing-nature-of-fictional-stories

...um...even though the guy thinks the grandmother is a man.

chris stevens
12-08-2009, 06:54 PM
shit, i'm an illustrator, too. ha. reviews are funny, aren't they?

JamieRoberts
12-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Is Postcards still in print? I just did a Google search and Amazon only have it through other sellers.

chris stevens
12-11-2009, 02:40 AM
i don't play video games much anymore, but i grew up in the first generation of kids that had video games in their lives as much as any other toy. i've had dozens of games i loved over the years but now the only game i really enjoy is wii bowling and the odd game of old school ps1 tetris. i'd play the shit out of some q-bert, but alas, no q-bert for the systems i have, wii and ps2.

but even though i don't have it, or even really truly enjoy it when i've played it, i dig the 'street fighter' series. it was an atom bomb on the video game scene back in the early 90's and a few months back we'd get together at my friend jamar's and play the latest version. i love the characters, the look, and the implied inner mythology. and i dig the vs. screens. so i was lucky enough to have drew moss do this piece for me. these are two of the characters from 'jungle jane', fist and nebris.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5043/11278006.jpg
By [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us

this is two sketch cards side-by-side, can't wait to get the originals in the mail.

thanks, drew.

and jamie, i have no idea. if jason pops in again i'm sure he'll know. i'd love to see postcards 2, just for the learning curve if nothing else...and the first one was eisner-nominated...

chris stevens
12-14-2009, 01:16 PM
now, i have just about zero interest in rap music or hip hop culture--nothing against it, just not my thing. but some of my friends have been throwing little raps at each other and the one i'm pasting in here from my buddy saj just made me laugh my ass off.

keep in mind this is all good-natured ball-breaking and we're all boys, no-one's feelings are getting hurt here. there's a lot of in-jokes and a ton of comic book references. and yes, it is filthy dirty so don't read any further if that sort of thing offends...

Getting beat by an Indian - you thought it was impossible
It's the truth, face the facts, no matter how improbable
I'm just too good, my shit's unstoppable
I'll have to kill you if you stay -
not a freshman but
I won't be held responsible

I admit your last rhyme was okay, even good
But you being stingy around this hood
Look at the ratio between you and me:
It's something kinda like
1 to 3

You didn't even try to reply to Al or Aaron
Maybe behind my back you white guys are sharin'
your rhymes and ideas, that wouldn't surprise me
Because to beat one Saj it does take 3
Little White Wigger
Straight Up Wannabees
While I'm going down under searching for wallabees -

between your moms thighs, I'm in danger like Steve Erwin
All kinds of wildlife - my dick she don't be deserving
Is she woman or truck stop? - the lines are blurring

How many tongues got to the center of this tootsie pop?
How many guys examined the cavity, pretending they were cops?
Straight crack whore up in here - smoking poles to smoke some rocks

Aaron and Chinese Dave - this is why you don't do drugs
Stay away from bad girls who've burned out their rugs

Not hating Dave, just pointing out drugs aren't your only addiction
No you come at losing with a madman's conviction
But you going down harder than Richard Nixon
And you not even a crook
You tried - got caught - and then you were shook
Meanwhile your mother's pussy look like something painted by Picasso
Meanwhile you can't keep up with my beats - always they're staccato
Meanwhile my crew came down for your mother's pink taco
That's what I was cooking behind your back
I let Aaron hit it for laughs, for Chris it's a midnight snack!
You know, in fact,

your rhymes are kinda like Taco Bell
Same ingredients put in a different shell
Playing it off like something new that you trying to sell
Same old shit - rape and murder - 'yawn' - on a different day
Come at me with this and I just blow you away
What comes outta my mouth is like Cylcop's optic blast
You so redundant I think I'm living in Days of Future, Past
I'm like the Energizer Bunny - me you won't out last

Tired of you stepping to my hood lookin' for cheap thrills
Time for you to learn that God Loves, but Man Kills
Rap is in my blood, in my mutant genes
Your mother sees me and she rips off her jeans
Bust a nut on her denim, stain her blue dress
Get presidential, smoking a cigar that by her juices
has been blessed

Baptized in her wetness, this is before it lost its freshness
Back when it was dope and clean
Before the labia got ripped up into something obscene
torn to smithereens
Now she gotta cover that shit like its the face of Madam Masque
Don't run now little Dave, cuz you'll get nowhere fast
Thought this was gonna be the War of the Hulks
More like House of M - Wanda's done - but in your mind the illusion's stuck
Meanwhile your mother's taking up dicks in bulk

Taking full advantage of her Sam's Club membership
I see your sad raps and I think, "Some advice I should be lendin' him"
So here you go player, pay attention
Or you'll be stuck where you are, in Life's detention:

I'm keeping first place, you barely deserve an honorable mention
If there was a license to rap, yours would be in suspension
The whole block is putting their dicks in your mom and turning the ignition
In her mouth they be shittin' and on her face they be pissin'

Forget rap and go check on your home life
Don't you know Al made your little sister his lil' home slice?
Started off a good girl, now she's a little Miami Vice
Dressing up for Aaron, pretending he's Kirk and she's Spock
Started off a virgin, now she's the party on the block
Put police tape across her snatch, just close if off!

Too late cause cuz with Chris she shared a bottle of rum,
Chugged that shit - in mere minutes the drinks were done
So he took the empty bottle and stuck it up in her coochie
She started off nice, now she a hoochie
Nothing but a trick, and you nothing but a country bammer
Thought I was Donald Blake walking with a cane
But now you see I'm like Thor
I bring down the Hammer

You should quit rap - you won't be missed
You suck, it's the truth - don't get pissed
Maybe you'll see a genie in a bottle and you can make a wish
It's the only way you'll ever be able to step to this

See there's fire when my tongue touches my lips
Your sister soaks her panties, your mom bucks her hips
I may cook in the kitchen, but in the bedroom is where they take their meals
Happy like their clams, I pull down my pants and they know the deal
They love the nerd dick, its an addiction they don't even try to conceal
You trying to be fake but the Saj keeps it real

I don't know who deceived you like Mysterio
I see you and think, "Oh great, again here we go"
Yet another list of some basic rhymes
There should be laws against weak shit - you should be doing time
Your lyrics are forced, words like the Sunday jumble
When you picked me to fight - you got the Daily Double

I flood you with rhymes - its something that's effortless
Then you send half-a-rap back - seems you under stress
Trying to rhyme while under duress
Going back over and over to the same old tendencies
Getting shook as truth hangs over you like the Sword of Damocles
My words are my blade - with them I'm paid - you just a roach
I should just spray with Raid
Then I could go back to fucking your mom and her daughter
Honestly?
This isn't a rap-battle, it's more like a rap-slaughter.

chris stevens
12-14-2009, 02:54 PM
heh, i was asked to post the comeback...here it is...my pal dave proch...good thing i'm making an all-ages book with these guys, huh? :)

You can rhyme for days Saj and to that I tip my hat. But let's take a closer look at what was just spat
About every four sentences you finally mention something that will make our audience smile.
Your build ups take forever and your punchlines...ehhhhh... Mild.
And when you finally reach the point of it all we all know what's coming next.
A weak allegation that you and my mother supposedly had sex.
Trying to rhyme vicious like your some sadistic sexual savage.
Well you can suck-dis-dick cause I'm pulling your card like a horse pulls a carriage.
Taking light years to get your build ups and punchlines to have the perfect marriage?
Means you have a one hot verse every paragraph and a half average!

No wonder your rhymes are so goddamn long fucking computer nerd.
What you say in sixteen sentences I say in four words:
I FUCK YOUR MOM!
There that was easy.
But the thought alone of doing it makes me feel queasy.
And actually saying it out loud makes my stomach turn.
You think I'm bragging about that shit?
My friend, you have alot to learn.

But there is a young Indian freak that I've been hearing tales about lately.
She lives in center city and she's been acting a little crazy.
She moved to the states and turned into lil Kim
Maybe I should head down there and get a lil trim.
I'm not gonna say she's freaking frat boys with her marriage pending.
She's just enjoying her youth--
Well call it experimenting.
But I'm not talking about experimenting with fluids and beakers,
I'm talking experimenting with whole crews of drunken frat boy streakers.
And they were fully dressed when they knocked on her door.
But when she let them come in not so much anymore.
But don't get mad at the Hatter, come on, were still friends.
I'm just repeating all the things at Philly diner that YOU said.

I really appreciate the fact that your getting better with your words and raps because now were at the point where I don't have to hold anything back
And as far as your little cousin in center city I wish her the best of luck, you know?
But she's more like a dirty dog at this point so instead she'll get best in show.

Was that long enough for you Saj?
Did I get my point across?
Because remember you have to work all day, but me, I'm laid off!!!
I can do this forever baby boy.
You will never ever win.
There will be no victory parade for you my Indian friend.
The drugs have destroyed my mind!
I'm too stupid to know when I lost!
I couldn't stop if I wanted to.
No matter what the cost.
Cause Hatter is the boss of this freestyle shit.
Your turn Sajie, TAG YOUR IT!

PotatoRex
12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
lol I can't believe you made this public...

chris stevens
12-14-2009, 10:49 PM
yeah, since i posted something so dirty i have to come back with something pure...something precious and delightful...like my wife's picture from when she was a wee one...

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7429/imgfe.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181), shot with MP240 series (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=MP240+series&make=Canon) at 2009-12-14

my wife, she inspired a character in my 'jungle jane' book, a studious little chimp named lucy. unbeknownst to him, my good friend josh o'neill read lucy's introductory scene and afterward told me, 'i love the juliya monkey'.

so after hearing that my wife made me read her the scene...it's a good scene, i believe, with a lot of nice touches. all she cared about was that red ribbon.

:)

--

i'm enjoying my last rum&coke of the night--a pirate's drink, and my mainstay. in all the commotion of life over the last decade i lost a large percentage of my 'cherished' items, but i've still got this...a receipt from a bar on the cruise i took in 2000 in support of the cbldf. from a night of drinking with jeff smith and his wife.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1810/img0001hf.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181), shot with MP240 series (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=MP240+series&make=Canon) at 2009-12-14

not sure how the scan turned out but you should be able to see a bacardi silver&coke. jeff's wife was pretty and intimidating, seemingly all business.
i'll admit, she threw me off my game back then. jeff was a real guy, and broke my stones when i took the receipt, as none of this cruise bar stuff was cash and all on some sort of ship credit as i remember and the bartenders needed the receipts for the end of the night tally.

to this day i'm glad i did!

mikeexner3
12-15-2009, 12:38 AM
The raps were fantastic. Too funny. The last post was really great too, Chris. Your wife was cute as a button.

jrod
12-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Is Postcards still in print? I just did a Google search and Amazon only have it through other sellers.

Out of print - you can get it on remainder somewheres, I'm sure. It's not that the sales were horrible, it was just that the print run was so high. Alas, you tend to screw yourself when you set expectations too high...

chris stevens
12-24-2009, 10:19 PM
'here, here', exclaimed pantagruel, 'here are some that are not yet thawed.'

then he threw on the deck before us whole handfuls of frozen words, which looked like crystallized sweets of different colors. we saw some words gules, or gay quips, some vert, some azure, some sable, and some or. when we warmed them a little between our hands they melted like snow, and we actually heard them, though we did not understand them, for they were in a barbarous language. there was one exception, however, a fairly big one. this, when friar john picked it up, made a noise like a chestnut that has been thrown on the embers without being pricked. it was an explosion that made us all start with fear.

'that', said friar john, 'was a cannon shot in its day'

panurge asked pantagruel to give him some more. but pantagruel answered that only lovers give their words.

--rabelais, 1548

--

that's one of my favorite pieces of writing and endlessly inspiring.

chris stevens
01-27-2010, 03:33 AM
the comics i've enjoyed the most lately...

unknown soldier: admirable work. should have won the eisner for best new series.

beasts of burden: i love everything about this book. more, more!

hulk: ed mcguinness is what really does it for me but i really enjoyed ian churchill's turn as well. i think all the additions to the hulk family are great.

sonic the hedgehog: never thought i'd have this here! vibrant, colorful art, a surprisingly rich backstory&inner mythology, and terry austin and john workman add up to a fun read.

air: really grew on me. nothing else quite like it in comics.

glamourpuss: the obsession in dave sim fascinates me, and he wields a mean brush.

the incredibles: dw's own marcio takara kills it every issue. feels like watching more of the movie.

sky pirates of neo terra: great looking book, good comics.

walt disney comics&stories: boom's doing a more than solid job on the disney/pixar stuff, it's all good to excellent.

daytripper: i thought the ending to the first issue was cliche and forced. i think the second issue was flat-out brilliant.

sweet tooth: where's lemire taking this? great cartooning going on here.

there. the dwpff project hasn't killed all my love of comics yet, see?

:)

WilliamStormeSmith
01-27-2010, 11:41 AM
You watched the new movie "The Cartoonist: Jeff Smith" yet???

It really moved me. Considering I collected Bone from Issue 7 through the end it really blew me away how much I didn't pick up the first time through. Guess I'll have to go buy the big collected edition since I sold most of them. But I held onto a few autographed copies.

chris stevens
01-29-2010, 02:35 PM
i haven't seen it yet, storm, but i'm eager to--that and the toth documentary.

--

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6639/logosketches.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181) at 2010-01-29

which one do you guys like best?

RonaldMontgomery
01-29-2010, 02:38 PM

3 looks like he's pooping th' words.

Tara
01-29-2010, 02:43 PM

3 looks like he's pooping th' words.

Ooooooooo! Is this for your shop?

I like 2, 8, and 9. 9 would make a sweet business card or t shirt, but it's pretty similar to 2, which would also make a cool little logo on things. 8 is pretty cool, too, though. I dig these!

Edit: the bigger locust on 9 puts it a little above 2 for me. :happy:

j giar
01-29-2010, 03:45 PM
number 6. Plain, direct, simple and to the point.

mikeexner3
01-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I think 7 is my favorite. 5 isn't bad either, but 7 is like 5 only with room to breathe.

The other mentioned aren't bad, but... 8 is pretty cool, but I don't think the crescent moon is enough. 2 is... meh (sorry, Tara!), although I agree 9 ain't bad. The swarm framing the larger one is a nice touch. I think 6 is a little bland, actually, but could work.

Did Chris even ask for this? Heh.

dickieH8
01-29-2010, 05:19 PM
#2 or #9. The others with a single locust make me think of crickets and grasshoppers. When you say "locust" you think swarm.

mikeexner3
01-29-2010, 07:11 PM
#2 or #9. The others with a single locust make me think of crickets and grasshoppers. When you say "locust" you think swarm.

Charles makes a good point.

NaveenM
02-02-2010, 01:01 AM
#2 and #7 -- though the grasshopper vs. locust thing is noticeable in the roughs. I guess that'll be smoothed out in the final render.

The name is great!

chris stevens
02-04-2010, 04:51 PM
thanks for the input folks. we're going with 8 and 9.

i'll post the final designs down the line.

MARK A ROBINSON
02-06-2010, 02:46 PM
You should sell these at your shop right next to ghetto fabulous comics.

http://www.thursdayplantation.com/Product%20Sites/Chewingsticks100pack.htm

I would come in and buy them and we could talk about all the comics we hate all day with minty fresh breath and that alive feeling that cools your inner palate.

Peace,

M.

chris stevens
02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
hate? nah, c'mon. it's all about love, baby. what me and you need to talk about is a dragon age event since we're doing video games, too. i'll be in touch later today.

for now, my buddy farel did the story-within-a-story for the latest house of mystery from vertigo. check it out, issue # 22...

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/838/houseofmystery022007.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/i/houseofmystery022007.jpg/)

j giar
02-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Those cloudpeople freak me out.

Fred Duran
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Those cloudpeople freak me out.
QFT

chris stevens
02-13-2010, 10:55 PM
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2356/img613.png
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181) at 2010-02-13

Jason Arthur
02-14-2010, 02:06 AM
Hit me with an email if you need any Adobe Illustrator action on that.

Nice design btw.

-- J

Magnus
02-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Sweet logo!

_____
www.magnus-aspli.com

Knuckle Supper
02-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Awesome. Can't wait to see it in all it's giant size glory.

chris stevens
02-14-2010, 08:29 PM
thanks, guys!

here's the pencils for the logo that'll run across the front window...

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8846/img612.png
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181) at 2010-02-13

and what's got me even more excited is that mu pan is doing this logo here for us as one of his origamu...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/origamu/

...the main locust will be 20 inches long!

JamieRoberts
02-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Holy shit! I think the logo looks great anyway, but I can't even wrap my head around how cool it'll look as origamu. Those models are insane!

Tara
02-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Holy shit! I think the logo looks great anyway, but I can't even wrap my head around how cool it'll look as origamu. Those models are insane!

Wow--I've never seen anything like those origamu. Pretty sweet, Chris. The logos look terrific. Exciting stuff!

chris stevens
02-15-2010, 02:31 PM
lots going on now, between opening the store and wrapping up the longest script of my life and riding herd on the dwpff book. life is good but bittersweet. one of the main people i want to share all this with, well, he's gone off this planet and even though it's been over a year now the facts of it are still fresh in my head. readers of this little vanity here might remember i dropped out of this from the end of 2008 through i think august 2009. in december 08 a guy i loved like a brother threw himself off one of the casinos in atlantic city where we grew up. not much seemed to matter to me in the ensuing months. if it wasn't for a new group of friends i made--they know who they are--and my own lazy pride i might have rolled over and called it a day myself. but here we are, and life is good, and maybe these tears are just the price you pay along the road to consequence. to salvation. who the fuck knows. anyway, here's a poem i wrote on new year's eve, thought it could act like some banishing spell, like the sadness in shadows vanishes in the sun. woulda been a neat trick to pull off.

as i put this year to rest
and these memories of you
i find that no box or chest
the size of one year will do.

and maybe it's not the shape
of time, maybe that's not the way
but brother i'd give every dime
not to think of you each day.

now granted, i'm a poor man
and couldn't offer you that much
but i'd gladly give half of what i am
for more words, more breath, more touch.

seems stronger souls can sit and laugh
even when they cry,
but me, this grand memory play
makes every day the day you died.

i've given up on answers
--not quit, but i was beat--
and i've given up the hope
and now all but run back in retreat
of ever understanding how long your length of rope.

how much you loved, how you lived
like puddles in the street--
stepped over, best avoided, no sense
in walking around with two wet feet.

in the end i let you down
like we guessed most people do
we just never imagined that
most people were me and you.

oh but we were young
we were fucked up
we were lions in our time
and now you've left me one last roar
in this miserable 2009.

but in this next year coming
this much i'll promise true
that i swear on all those memories
to be a better man than you.

JamieRoberts
02-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Wow. Chris, I had no idea. I think it's a testament to your character that you're able to both understand how you're going to deal with this and still have (at least as far as I can tell) a passion which many will never know.

2010, man. There's something about it which fills me with hope.

NaveenM
02-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Chris, I'm so glad you bounced back, as hard as that must have been to do. Sometimes it seems that life just throws hardballs.

BTW, did I miss something? Is Locus Moon a comic shop you're opening? I thought it would be a press/publisher. Is this shop going to be in Philly?

chris stevens
02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
i appreciate the words, guys. was filled with melancholy yesterday...

some days my inbox is like a big christmas tree with presents piled underneath...

locusts from mu...

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1614/locustsmalla.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181), shot with Canon EOS 5D (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=Canon+EOS+5D&make=Canon) at 2010-02-16

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6801/locustsmallb.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181), shot with Canon EOS 5D (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=Canon+EOS+5D&make=Canon) at 2010-02-16

PixelisedMind
02-16-2010, 02:48 PM
That's awesome Chris.

Jason Copland
02-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Very cool!

fbwash
02-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Wow. Chris, I had no idea. I think it's a testament to your character that you're able to both understand how you're going to deal with this and still have (at least as far as I can tell) a passion which many will never know.

2010, man. There's something about it which fills me with hope.

Amen - 'nuff said :D

mikeexner3
02-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Glad to see that you're still chugging along, Chris. You're one of the best and most talented guys I've met during the crazy ride through this business, and it's good to see your resolve shining through.

p.s. those locust origaMu pieces are incredible!

j giar
02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Glad to see that you're still chugging along, Chris. You're one of the best and most talented guys I've met during the crazy ride through this business, and it's good to see your resolve shining through.

p.s. those locust origaMu pieces are incredible!

My name is Jim Giar and I approve of this post. :thumbs:

chris stevens
02-21-2010, 08:05 PM
We carried you in our arms
On Independence Day,
And now you throw us all aside
And put us on our way.

Oh what dear daughter 'neath the sun
Would treat her father so,
To wait upon him hand and foot
yet always answer, "No"?

Tears of rage, tears of grief,
Why am i always the one who must be the thief?
Come to me now, you know
We're so alone
And life is brief.

it was all pointed out, the way to go
And scratched your name in sand,
Though you just thought that it was nothing more
Than a place for you to stand.
Now, I want you to know that while we watched
You discover that there was no one true,
that i myself really thought
It was just a childish thing to do.

why am i always the one who must be the thief?
Come to me now, you know
We're so alone
And life is brief.

It was all very, very painless
When you ran out to receive
All that false instruction
Which we never could believe.
And now the heart is filled with gold
As if it was a purse--
But, oh, what kind of love is this
Which goes from bad to worse?

why am i always the one who must be the thief?
Come to me now, you know
We're so alone
And life is brief.

bob dylan, 1967

chris stevens
02-24-2010, 01:43 AM
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8282/locustsa.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181) at 2010-02-23

JonathanAMoore
02-24-2010, 02:21 AM
wow.

Tara
02-24-2010, 04:07 AM
My goodness, Chris! Those are incredible! The detail is insane. I can't imagine how long it takes to make one of those. Admittedly, I'm a little of a girl when it comes to bugs, but those bugs...nice!

atomic
02-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Especially the one with spikes! :thumbs:

mikeexner3
02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Intricate and gorgeous. I agree with Tara--the detail is just astounding.

chris stevens
02-24-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks, folks!

mu is some kind of art-making machine--he's made all of these plus several smaller ones in 6 days, all while working a 'real' job and doing whatever else mu does in nyc.

dickieH8
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Those are incredible. Does Mu have a website?

chris stevens
02-24-2010, 01:42 PM
http://mupan.com/

there ya go, charlie.

when i think of farel dalrymple, james jean, nate powell, stephen gilpin, kenichi hoshine, tomer hanuka, esao andrews, mu, and the other meathaus guys all running around together back in the sva/nyc days, man that's some talent there...

L Jamal
02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
The locusts are pure genius.
Is there anything online where Mu shares his process?

chris stevens
02-24-2010, 02:10 PM
i don't think so, jamal. but i'll ask him about it next time we talk. maybe i can spur him on to something like that. glad you dig them! once they're all done they'll revolve around a huge hanging moon, just like the logo.

mikeexner3
02-24-2010, 05:12 PM
once they're all done they'll revolve around a huge hanging moon, just like the logo.

That's a sharp idea.

chris stevens
02-27-2010, 11:30 PM
every now and then you have to let a project go. here's a page from a story called 'the 10th life' i was working on with artist and good guy jim kettner...

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9830/17849134829134443011457.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181) at 2010-02-27

we must have had a half dozen 2 hour lunches at tandoor, plotting and talking and building a world around kettner's awesomely fantastic series of portraits of his gang of friends. you can see a lot of them here...http://www.flickr.com/photos/xkett_nerdx/sets/72157606961499244/

in a nutshell, the story was rival cybernetic mafia girls, ex-best friends, ordered to settle their differences and get back to business, their business being the control of the black market for pets. a madcap race will settle their dispute, with the winner receiving the prize&point of contention between them: the cat, whom they had shared as college roomates, which holds the secret of the mythical 'tenth life'.

the script, as far as it got...

The tenth life

Page one

Hey kettner. Here we are. Page one. On this page two thugs, messengers of the mafia chiefs, are paddling out to emily’s lighthouse island to deliver her the chiefs’ vinyl get-together demand. They paddle a raft through the wreckage of shot down planes and sunken ships, unwanted visitors fallen victim to the lighthouse’s guns and cannons. I think the various crafts and amalgams of vehicles in the concept portraits are really charming so I’ll leave it to you to choose what to include here. Although, as we pass through the wreckage, we’ll need to see emblems or some other small detail that matches something our two messengers are wearing, adding to the ominous quality of this particular delivery.

Panel one

First of three panels in this tier. We’re just outside our two messengers as they row clumsily but hard. We’re in fairly close in these three panels so we don’t see any floating debris. I know paddling a raft might seem goofy but I thought it fit with the tone we’re working with and keeps things small and low-fi to kick off with. It also lends scale to the debris. Well, these are my hopes!
As for our two messengers, I’ll leave them to you. Considering we have an interesting and fairly large cast to explore already, I wasn’t looking at these guys for much more than this opener. I mentioned emblems earlier, some unifying marker that represents their mafia status/loyalties. Other than that their look is all yours.
So here they are rowing, a small package sitting between them. This is the vinyl message.

Panel two

This isn’t exactly a thrilling task for either of these guys…

Messenger # 1
Ridiculous, paddling like this…

Panel three

Messenger # 2
How else we gonna deliver her the message? We fly, we like them…

Panel four

Wide panel filling the tier revealing all the debris drifting on the water. Emily enjoys her privacy and the lighthouse, as we’ll see, is equipped to insure the tiny island she runs her operation from stays private.

Panel five

A bobbing cyborg head, half it’s skull blown open strewing wires, a seagull picking out its one good eye, its human eye.

Messenger #2 continued…
…We dead.

Panel six

Back to the two paddling.

Messenger # 1
Shit, sometimes this job sucks.

Messenger #2
Tell me about it.

Panel seven

Closes out the page, wide shot of them in the foreground rowing through the debris, the lighthouse out ahead of them.

Page two

Now we have entered the lighthouse, and we meet sneed, the watchman.

Panel one

We are standing behind sneed as he sits at his post inside the lookout atop the lighthouse. The lookout appears to be a simple stone shelter, but inside the walls around sneed are filled with monitors, all providing surveillance for miles around the lighthouse, above and beneath the sea.
Sneed is a funny little man, the only other human on the island beside Emily, and taken to talking to himself. He’s excited now by the appearance of the paddling deliverymen on the monitor in front of him.

Sneed
Hmmm…ok,what have we here…wait a minute…

Panel two

Shot up at sneed from inside the cockpit-like array of buttons and screens he sits in front of as sneed is reaching down with forefinger coming right at us to push a button.
There is a big ‘click’ sfx that links this panel to the next.

Panel three

The wall of monitors is sliding open in front of us, opening up to a clear view of the ocean. Sneed is reaching for a collapsible telescope. To his one side we can clearly see buttons marked ‘bomb’ ‘torpedo’ ‘gatling gun’ ‘flame’.

Sneed
There we go… now, maybe somebody needs frying, let me see…

Panel four

Sneed is standing, looking down the length of his now fully extended collapsible telescope.
He’s let out a small ‘humph’ of disappointment in his posture now that he sees what’s coming.

Sneed
Well, that ruins that. damn.

Panel five

We are looking through the telescope down at the two deliverymen in the raft. One of them is holding the vinyl up over his head, like an offering to the lighthouse.

Panel six

Looking through the telescope still, but focusing on the record in the messenger’s hands.

David bowie, live in santa monica, 1972

Sneed
Ohhh, they must want something big…

PAGE THREE

Now we are in emily’s lair inside the lighthouse. This is where she spends most of her time when not tending to the menagerie of black market pets. She keeps her dueling collections of 20th century vinyl records and authentic vintage superhero memorabilia here.

Panel one

Emily
The definition of ‘worth’ is defined as ‘having value’, frichtman. Not, ‘what’s it worth?’.
Understand?

Frichtman off-panel
Emily…snort…it’s a 1985 barry allen. Size 8. Me, I could give one great big fuck.

Panel
Frichtman off-panel

You, on the other hand, will pay a premium.
Meet me some where in-between. Those new raccoons…

...interrupted...

Sneed
My lady, this is sneed, from the lookout.

Emily
I know where you’re at, sneed. What?

Sneed
There are messengers, from pagliacci’s crew.

Emily
So? I’m in the middle of something. Do what you do.

Sneed
Oh, I would. I would love to. But they bring a vinyl message…and it’s bowie.

Page four
Emily in her lair, taking the record out and playing it in her companion, chinchilla cyborgs bouncing around.

--

so, this is my little goodnight to 'the 10th life'...

chris stevens
03-01-2010, 07:01 PM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1411/locustcolorblue.th.jpg (http://img214.imageshack.us/i/locustcolorblue.jpg/)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7412/locustcolorgreen.th.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/locustcolorgreen.jpg/)

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/3699/locustcolorred.th.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/locustcolorred.jpg/)

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2130/locustcolordarkblue2.th.jpg (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/locustcolordarkblue2.jpg/)

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7780/locustcolordarkblue.th.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/locustcolordarkblue.jpg/)

me, i'm partial to the 1st, 3rd, and 5th ones...

Lee Nordling
03-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't know the market for the logos, but I like the fifth one best for "sophisticated."

One is young boy (but doesn't have to be), and three is girl (but doesn't have to be).

I like a judicious use of pink, but when something's monochromatically pink, if "girl" isnt' the goal, I hope it's sitting on something that sends a different aesthetic message.

(This is all from me just looking at these images, and nothing previously, so feel free to ignore me if I'm not referencing some goals you previously expressed. Ah, what the hell, feel free to ignore me anyway.)

--Lee

Jason Copland
03-01-2010, 09:02 PM
The 5th one is strongest... but it has the most contrast in it, tonally speaking. All the objects/text are clearly separated from one another. Also, that one is more harmonious, hue-wise (at least on this monitor).

Uziel
03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
no love for #4?

chris stevens
03-01-2010, 10:49 PM
scale...

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9109/43830770431946f1f70c.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181) at 2010-03-01

Bishop
03-02-2010, 12:00 AM
I like #4 and #5 with #5 being my favorite. I would kill to have a couple of those origamu locusts...

You should ask your buddy to make you a bionic one that you can sic on obnoxious fanboys...

chris stevens
03-19-2010, 07:34 PM
i've been asked to read at kelly writer house on the penn campus here in philadelphia next week, an offer that caught me entirely by surprise and one which my natural impulse was to decline; i have little published work and have been at it too long now to get any real satisfaction out of trumpeting the names of my famous collaborators.

but i'm going to do it. mostly because i'm opening a comic shop half a block off that campus and my partners and i plan on forging strong ties with the penn community. that's the smart thing to do.

so, in this case, reason trumps the spirit, the spirit which finds reading a few published pages--in fact, reading at all with only a few published pages!--embarrassing.

all my life, practically, i've wanted to be immersed in the world of making comics, just the world of comics itself. and while not yet near the level i hope to get to soon, i can honestly say my life, day to day, is immersed in the making of comics. so i guess i'll enjoy that luck, not bother thinking it into a grave, and roll with the irony of a high-school drop-out reading at an ivy league school. for all my quasi-intellectual leanings part of me fears and misunderstands the academic. so part of this will be putting that to rest.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/165/locustcolordarkblue4.th.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/i/locustcolordarkblue4.jpg/)

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1315/locustcolordarkblue3.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/i/locustcolordarkblue3.jpg/)

slight tweaks to what will likely be the final colors for the window signage for the store. a sweet little thing we'll have is an entire alphabet in the same letters as the logo. little things like that, which was my pal&partner josh o'neill's idea, get me excited.

andrewmtc
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
So you're speaking at Penn now? Great timing, ass! Can I get in on that without being a student anymore?

WilliamStormeSmith
03-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Hey video a little of your reading to post here or on Facebook, be interesting to watch. Plus I'd like to see if you can pronounce some of those big words you use.

chris stevens
03-24-2010, 12:45 AM
"every time i change wives i should burn the last one. that way i'd be rid of them. they wouldn't be around now to complicate my existence. maybe that would bring back my youth, too. you kill the woman and you wipe out the past she represents."

--picasso

imagine, as the saying goes, you stride across centuries. seems picasso will do just that. one of a handful of men to manage the feat.

and still vexed, unsure, questioning, berated, murderous even, of his women.

all that makes more sense to me than a lot of his paintings.

MARK A ROBINSON
03-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Amen.

" I called my wife and she told me that if i don't come home after this beer that she's going to leave me... I love my wife and i will miss her."

That's written on a sign above the bar @ my local watering hole. I love it. I shoould take you there Stevens. It's got a shit ton of colorful characters running around in there.

Peace,

M.

chris stevens
04-02-2010, 04:22 PM
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5958/veticlelogocolorsmall.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181) at 2010-04-02

Dan Hill
04-03-2010, 05:16 AM
That is pretty awesome.

Deadfan
04-13-2010, 09:18 PM
this is amazing, thank you for this

RegularJoe
04-14-2010, 12:31 AM
amazing

chris stevens
04-14-2010, 06:58 AM
i'm in my store, jimmy comey sleeping on the couch after he pulled an iron horse run of over 35 straight hours helping, hopefully, to make it shine. jason rodriguez took pictures if you can find his blog.

i have good friends. thanks to jimmy, jason, farel, and doug--and many other beautiful motherfuckers--for making it what it was. to my partners, saj&josh&rita, like i said, we're far from finished, but it's done.

JamieRoberts
04-14-2010, 08:05 AM
I saw Jason's updates last night. Real happy for you! Looks like it went very well.

Deadfan
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
are you going to update this and continue to do so ?

James W Powell
04-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Looks like the party and grand opening was a success. Congrats to you, Chris. Looks like 2010 is going to be your year long coming out party. With all the work you've put into comics, you deserve all the great things that are coming your way!

RegularJoe
04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
congrats chris

chris stevens
04-27-2010, 01:53 AM
met david milch tonight, and he's coming by the shop in the morning.

my buddy doug, who built our counter, mounted our tv's, and prepared the opening night menu--clearly i owe him--took the opportunity, after my careful introduction and invitation to milch, to try to persuade the great writer to come out with us and drink scotch, at the end handing him a tootsie pop from the bunch we keep on the counter at the store...milch, without missing a beat, pocketed the lollypop and said 'you've got a better chance of me eating this lollypop than coming out with you tonight'. he's also, as far as i know, a recovering alcoholic.

and you can't make this shit up.

chris stevens
04-27-2010, 02:51 AM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3162/26894125655282202214756.jpg
By cstevens181 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cstevens181) at 2010-04-26

so far this is my favorite photo from last week's opening days...farel dalrymple and jimmy comey, at the counter they painted&designed, engaged in the pure exchange of worth good work brings.

beasts.

Dan Hill
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM

my buddy doug, who built our counter, mounted our tv's, and prepared the opening night menu--clearly i owe him--took the opportunity, after my careful introduction and invitation to milch, to try to persuade the great writer to come out with us and drink scotch, at the end handing him a tootsie pop from the bunch we keep on the counter at the store...milch, without missing a beat, pocketed the lollypop and said 'you've got a better chance of me eating this lollypop than coming out with you tonight'. he's also, as far as i know, a recovering alcoholic.

David Milch! :eek: that's amazing.

ehobbs
04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Great stuff, man. Reading through this thread, all the ups and down, it's clear you've got such a passion for comics that eventually success is going to come in one form or another (probably multiple forms). I'm really pulling for Locust Moon.

j giar
04-27-2010, 05:14 PM

Awesome.... :thumbs: :D

NaveenM
04-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Didn't realize your store was open! Been busy and I didn't see anything about the grand opening, so I guess I missed it.

I stopped by Atomic City on South Street last night and found them closed (missed the 8pm cut-off date). But it looks like you're open late.

I know where I'm going for my comics from now on!

chris stevens
05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
kid's section of the shop in progress...

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8128/002ggd.th.jpg (http://img682.imageshack.us/i/002ggd.jpg/)

lots of things to tighten up but i dig the popcorn machine...

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2162/003gyd.th.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/i/003gyd.jpg/)

road warrior...

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/443/004izh.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/i/004izh.jpg/)

mario chess&mini-claw machine filled with hero clix...

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2466/005mq.th.jpg (http://img46.imageshack.us/i/005mq.jpg/)

locusts in flight...

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4376/006bft.th.jpg (http://img46.imageshack.us/i/006bft.jpg/)

what we were giving away for free comic book day yesterday...we are still giving books away, come on by...

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1384/001kn.th.jpg (http://img580.imageshack.us/i/001kn.jpg/)

chris stevens
05-02-2010, 07:18 PM
snorks...the plan is to get an astrosniks rocketship and place it nose down in the tank, simulating a 'snick crash-landing into the aquatic world of the snorks, with the moon smurfs, bubble-domed helms so to breathe, peering out from the wreckage...

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1342/007ti.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/i/007ti.jpg/)

saj is a bad man...

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6880/008sl.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/i/008sl.jpg/)

books...

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/6794/011qsu.th.jpg (http://img682.imageshack.us/i/011qsu.jpg/)

very cool poster farel did, an homage to jeff smith, signed by smith and farel...

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2506/022xk.th.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/022xk.jpg/)

JonathanAMoore
05-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Love the pictures, Chris! Hope you find great success!

Love that kids' section too. My LCS is pretty big and not really kid-friendly. Took my 3-year-old to FCBD (waste of my time--everything was gone) and even then it just was clear no kids come in there.

chris stevens
05-02-2010, 10:14 PM
shots of the counter, the production of which is a story in and of itself...the heavy lifting was jimmy comey, who's in the dwpff book. embellishment&introduction of the animals was farel dalrymple. i am as pleased with this counter as anything i've ever been associated with...indulge me...

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3152/012ki.th.jpg (http://img714.imageshack.us/i/012ki.jpg/)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/623/013it.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/i/013it.jpg/)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4088/014hm.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/i/014hm.jpg/)

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5188/015pv.th.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/015pv.jpg/)

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7458/016ik.th.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/016ik.jpg/)

chris stevens
05-02-2010, 10:17 PM
and thanks, guys. i've gotten away, because of time, from keeping this a 'conversation' type thing. so thanks doubly for the enthusiasm.

j giar
05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
SOOooo.
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6880/008sl.jpg
By jgiar (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jgiar) at 2010-05-03
This is what my writer looks like. :D
Store looks spectacular guys and gals. J.

chris stevens
05-19-2010, 03:03 PM
"A good comic book artist plays to the strengths of the form, and one of comics’ chief appeals is that they are drawn by hand. The artist’s personality is felt. Comics drawn in slavish imitation of photography are almost as bad as those awful fumettis occasionally produced, despite all good sense, in Europe, those pasted-up things that are the worst and dumbest and most joyless corruption of the artform imaginable. They’ve got all the charm of a low-budget porn movie, and all of the verve of a high school yearbook. The hand of the artist should be visible, making its judgments, picking what is important, exaggerating the essential and discarding the irrelevant. Cartoon art is the craft of reuniting the word and the picture, using the drawing itself as communication more than as cold representation. Done with skill and wit and economy, cartoon art charms the eye. The eye wants to linger on the physical gesture, that piece of shrubbery, that funky old beat-up wagon pulled by cows. The six deft brush strokes that compose a figure stimulate the mind, making the reader fill in the blanks, now an eager, active participant in the storytelling. Properly wined and dined, the reader settles down and takes the story at the pace the cartoonist intended."

from the link...

http://frankmillerink.com/2010/5/time

Jason Copland
05-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for that, Chris!

j giar
05-19-2010, 04:18 PM
There's something I'm gong to have to go back and read...Thanks Mr. Stevens.

chris stevens
05-20-2010, 11:49 AM
hosting a lil' drink&draw tonight at locust moon. starting around 7.

4040 locust street, 215 921 8530.

come on by if you're in the area.

j giar
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
hosting a lil' drink&draw tonight at locust moon. starting around 7.

4040 locust street, 215 921 8530.

come on by if you're in the area.

Damn...I work till 8:00....any time change take place driving to Philly from Ohio? :laugh:

chris stevens
05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
not a lot of drawing but good times were had...

mario brought in a stash of original art, the highlight of which for me was this gil kane page from 'the ring of the nibelung'...

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/364/006xh.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/006xh.jpg/)

ahh, the men of locust moon...

my paht-nah...

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2284/007fiv.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/i/007fiv.jpg/)

billy dee...

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9584/008emb.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/008emb.jpg/)

the young apprentice...

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4264/009wzt.th.jpg (http://img37.imageshack.us/i/009wzt.jpg/)

egyptian love...

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3083/010qw.th.jpg (http://img64.imageshack.us/i/010qw.jpg/)

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4899/015rg.th.jpg (http://img198.imageshack.us/i/015rg.jpg/)

chris stevens
05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
a guy brought a bird in earlier...

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3567/016vu.th.jpg (http://img29.imageshack.us/i/016vu.jpg/)

two birds...

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5876/022lj.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/i/022lj.jpg/)

birds know good people...

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1364/026crw.th.jpg (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/026crw.jpg/)

...and they know bad people....

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1271/028tp.th.jpg (http://img706.imageshack.us/i/028tp.jpg/)

PotatoRex
05-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Let's see that pic of Puss and Meep. This thread needs some more cat pics!