PDA

View Full Version : Dabel Brothers Productions

Scribe
05-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I just noticed Dabel Brothers Productions on the shelf this week, they've seem to come out with a line of manily fantasy based comics with names like Orson Scott Card, George R.R. Martin, R.A. Salvatore and Robert Jordon.

They're trying to get a fan base by getting the writer's fans to cross over from novels to comics. It seems to me like it could work because I gotta believe there is a good amount of crossover between fantasy and comic readers.

Anyone think this is a good idea?

Gonzogoose
05-29-2006, 11:12 AM
DBPro has been around for a while now. They used to be called Roaring Studios and published both creator owned books and adaptations through Image and Devil's Due.

Recently they have been adapting the works by the authors you mentioned and many others. Their books are top notch both writing and art-wise. It's a very good idea and so far they've been pretty successful with it.

You can check them out at www.dabelbrothers.com.

Crazee Creator
05-29-2006, 11:49 AM
The books are really done well. The art, writing and coloring all top grade. I am a fan of their books and because of their adaptations I have recently picked up the novels. You can hear what Ernst Dabel had to say about the company and its future here http://catchdacraze.com/episode13.html

mudcat
05-29-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm a DB fan myself, but that's mainly due to the genres/adaptations they publish (if someone else was slapping out a lot of quality scifi/fantasy I'd be a big fan of theirs as well). As Crazee said, the overall quality of the books from the writing down to the lettering is all solid.

matts128
05-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah they are a great outfit!

shushubag
05-31-2006, 02:00 AM
They are good. I like that they're doing Dragon Lance but I wish they had another artist for it. Not that the current artist isn't good, I just don't like it for this book.

I'm just jealous, I wish I could do it.

Gonzogoose
05-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Actually Devil's Due has the license for Dragonlance, not DBPro. DB did have it and produced The Legend of Huma through Devil's Due, but now DD has Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc.

jimmycakes
05-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Met them in Boston. Cool guys and great product.

As far as licensing products. Yeah, it's a great idea. You've already got a fan base.

shushubag
05-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Actually Devil's Due has the license for Dragonlance, not DBPro. DB did have it and produced The Legend of Huma through Devil's Due, but now DD has Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc.

That's right. Sorry I got them mixed up for a bit. The Legend of Huma series was great by Dabel. Devils Due does all the GI joe stuff right? That's the one I don't like the artist on the Chronicles series.

Gonzogoose
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Yep, Steve Kurth is the artist. Soon I'll have an in depth interview with the whole creative team...

I've been a fan of DBPro for years now. They truly have found their niche.