PDA

View Full Version : how much to hire Jim Lee to do a cover?

Cyclops
06-03-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm putting together a comic book, and am curious if anyone here has any idea as to the rate a top quality/famous artist such as Jim Lee or Frank Quitley would charge for a cover? Yes, it's probably just a pipe dream that I could actually aford them, but its nice to know anyhow...anybody have any clue, ballpark figures?..?

Cat
06-03-2006, 06:31 PM
http://www.airbrushcat.com/ebayimages/onemillion.jpg

danedawg99
06-03-2006, 06:48 PM
you'd be better off contacting the artists directly concernig commissions and payment.

innocentboy
06-03-2006, 09:51 PM
http://www.airbrushcat.com/ebayimages/onemillion.jpg
:har: :har: :har: :har: :har:

Jim Lee i'm guessing DC exclusive, so you'd have to buy DC from Warner.

Quietly, i don't know. Cat's guess is probably right

L Jamal
06-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Depends on the artist and your relationship with them, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $150-2000+ for pencils.

WOLVIE
06-04-2006, 04:40 AM
Goodluck :)

Erick Cruz
06-04-2006, 05:48 AM
DC exclusive Jim Lee means Jim cant do anything for Marvel. Or else you wouldnt see those Red Sonja covers he's currently doing painted by Gabrielle Del Otto.

Albert Moy is his art deale, try asking there

http://albertmoy.com/Artists.asp

innocentboy
06-04-2006, 02:56 PM
good point!

T.J. May
06-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Side note. While I was recovering from bad chinese food in Philly Sunday morning, I took a walk a few blocks from the con to a CVS for some Pepto. Jim Lee was walking toward me with some art under one arm and a rolling suitcase in the other. I didn't dare speak to him, for fear of my curry chicken from the night before resurfacing.

But it struck me that there we were, a block or so from the convention center, and no one recognized or stopped Jim Lee along the way. It's more or less the equivalent of a top Hollywood talent, or top sports athlete mulling around the streets, but with no one taking notice. Even in a city as big as Philly that would be unheard of.

Yet another reminder of how "off-the map" the comic industry is in the eyes of the US public.

But, yeah, especially if you want a completed cover you are probably on the high end of lJamal's scale. Most likely $3-4,000 for a completed color cover.

DannoE
06-06-2006, 01:24 PM
On the other hand, if you think you can move 50 copies of your book to most retailers, you'd do well to spend the money and offer a one-in-75 variant to force them to order 25 more to get the variant. That'd guarantee you'll break the Top 100, if not the Top 50. Of course, if you don't think you can move quite that many, then it might not help as much as you'd hope. Opinions on that?

T.J. May
06-06-2006, 01:30 PM
On the other hand, if you think you can move 50 copies of your book to most retailers, you'd do well to spend the money and offer a one-in-75 variant to force them to order 25 more to get the variant. That'd guarantee you'll break the Top 100, if not the Top 50. Of course, if you don't think you can move quite that many, then it might not help as much as you'd hope. Opinions on that?

Yeah, I've talked with some people at Philly about this option and a lot of folks like the idea of it. Personally I despise the variant cover idea, but the collectors love it.

According to MAtt Hawkins at Top Cow, you can get 4 different covers from the same piece of art. So, if you are a savvy marketer you could be on to something there.

Angel
06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
For $300 I will draw your cover in Jim Lee's style and sign it as Jim Leroy.

DannoE
06-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I've talked with some people at Philly about this option and a lot of folks like the idea of it. Personally I despise the variant cover idea, but the collectors love it.

According to MAtt Hawkins at Top Cow, you can get 4 different covers from the same piece of art. So, if you are a savvy marketer you could be on to something there.
Running the numbers...

1. Maybe $4K to hire Jim Lee (or whoever).
2. Maybe another $10K to publicize the fact that you hired him.

At roughly $1/book profit, you'd need to sell a good number of extra books to justify the expense. I'd question the idea that it'd be worthwhile if you weren't already looking at sales in the neighborhood of 7-10K issues.

That said, I've been seriously considering asking David "Mouseguard" Petersen to do a variant cover for Bronx Angel (http://www.proletariatcomics.com/bronx_angel.html) if and when I ever manage to get it to Diamond. And I think a pic of Angel as a mouse in the South Bronx would be cool as all Hell.

Tucker_680
06-07-2006, 04:11 AM
just to chime in with my two cents, a while back J Scott Campell did that "Ant" variant before it was at Image and then i think in a month or two, maybe sooner, there's a book coming out, "Siren" i believe is the name and it's cover, though i'm not sure if it's going to be the books only cover or if it's a variant, has Talent Caldwell doing the cover.

so not sure how much they cost, but maybe somewhat reasonable, since they are both "indy" books