PDA

View Full Version : What a great way to spend a Sunday!

j giar
06-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Just peeking in taking a break from working on pages. While my wife and older daughter went shopping my youngest daughter, who is 5, is sitting next to me at my drawing table while I work at my desk penciling a page and pulling photo references from my computer files. She just drew a pencil portrait of her stuffed monkey Chloe and is now currently inking over her pencils with a Micron. How freakin cool is that! Anyone else with kids that show any interest in what you do?

jpruitt0692002
06-04-2006, 02:06 PM
My kids are captivated about what i do. they are captivated by the whole process of making a comic. I have an 8 and a 4 yr old daughter and we will take a day and just draw whatever. we experiment with different tools and so forth. my oldest daughter really is interested with doing things on the computer so i have shown her how to color and do digital inking on computer. they both love comics and it makes me feel good knowing that they have an appreciation and understanding of something that i am very passionate about.

Screeny
06-04-2006, 02:08 PM
While my wife and older daughter went shopping

Your daughter is older than your wife???? :confused: :har:

j giar
06-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Your daughter is older than your wife???? :confused: :har:
:laugh: If I wanted someone to point out my flaws I'd talk to my own family.

4-9-studios
06-04-2006, 03:35 PM
My daughter who is 9 doesnt show much interest in comic art, however when she draws anything, she immediately comes to me for a critique. But this is what gets me, when you ask kids what they want to be when they grow up, many say a vet, doctor, teacher... her response is a director. She's had this same answer since she was 7. I haven't pushed her on it yet, but if she shows more interest on it in another year or so, i'll probably get her a cheap camera so she can make her own home movies with friends and cousins.

She LOVES coming with me to conventions! Already at her age she has her own purpose of attending cons, and roams the floor for what she likes. kids are so cool!

Steve Colle
06-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Of my four kids, my two sons, 13 and 15, are the ones to get the biggest kick and show the most interest in my work. The youngest, at one point, was interested in the Captain Underpants and Super Diaper Baby series of books and had created his own stories with his own characters. The SDB books were actually created by 12 year olds who were very good storytellers for their ages, drawing the stories in comic format. Now he's more into writing rap songs, which is fantastic creatively. My oldest is the proudest of his ol' man, constantly talking about what I do to his friends and teachers, attending conventions with me, going to my workshops/panel discussions and asking questions, and sitting down with me to evaluate artwork. I keep encouraging him to set up an account here on DW, but he'll do that when he's ready. He wants to get into writing short stories, which is great. Though his understanding of the medium is limited and though he doesn't read comics, he has an interest in what I do.

My oldest daughter, soon to be 10, sometimes looks over my shoulder when I'm editing or critiquing, asks a couple of questions, and then leaves with an "Oh" comment. Well, at least she's looking, right? ;)

joshm
06-05-2006, 01:12 AM
I have two daughters, 5 and 7, and they both love to draw and read comic books. My 7 year old is precocious and she writes her own stories and makes comic books out of them. She'll have me staple the ends so they are comic books. I've made a few comics for them and they love to color them.

Kids are great when you support them. When I was taking calculus a few semesters ago she would copy my home work. She didn't understand it, but she just wanted to do what I was doing (she has memorized the Pythagorean Theorem, though). When I would do an experiment in physics I'd have them help and they loved it too.

Josh

scottr
06-05-2006, 06:36 AM
My older daughter is 3 and she has one of those colorful plastic childs drawing desks that sits next to my big, serious looking grown-up drafting table. She draws quite a bit but at her age I haven't yet decided if she is showing real talent and interest, or is just mimicking her dad. In a way I hope she doesn't pursue art, because as we all know, it can be a tough life...

Steve Colle
06-05-2006, 08:19 AM
With you guys talking about your kids ages, I'm starting to feel like the senior citizen of the boards with my oldest being 15. I'm only 38, fer cryin' out loud!! :cry:

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
06-05-2006, 08:34 AM
My oldest of my 2 kids - 11 going on 14 year old son - draws all the time now. if I can't find a ruler, it's for sure he has it :laugh: . He always checks up on what I'm doing. I'm enjoying it 'cause it won't last for long probably- he's been caught air-guitaring and air-drumming! (go figure, his dad's drumkit is set up downstairs, but kids would rather do the air instrument thing. I don't get it!) My eight yr old daughter just loves to draw too, but only when I sit in a comfy chair with her, which we've done together since she was just a cricket. :) But now she getting into the piano. And clothes. And more clothes. I think it's great that all these kids are getting into the pencil for at least a while... I know for a fact that it will come back to them in life, one way or the other. creativesynergy, my kids are younger than yours, but I'm older than you, so don't worry, I'm more likely the candidate for a walker here! :laugh:

Mecha
06-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Most of my cousins don't like to read.... I'm the only bookworm in the family, though I think mini artists run in our latest generation :D It only took me a couple minutes to get my 12 year old cousin reading a graphic novel I'd gotten from an event that particular day though. And the kids are always interested in what I'm drawing, so if I go to our family events I inevitably end up sitting at the table with paper and pencils all around and about half my cousins crowding the table drawing with me or watching me :) And a couple times a year I find some of those animated adventures of Batman or whatever comics for kids, and bring those for a few of them. They love them :) Though one of my aunts has banned me from doing pinup requests for my cousins that are in my age group.

j giar
06-05-2006, 10:42 AM
With you guys talking about your kids ages, I'm starting to feel like the senior citizen of the boards with my oldest being 15. I'm only 38, fer cryin' out loud!! :cry:
My oldest will be 15 in a month..and you know what that means...yeah, driving. :confused: Creative, I'm 43...I think me and jedi are running neck and neck to be put to pasture. :laugh: ...or where ever they put senile artists. No offense jedi!? :nyah:

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
06-05-2006, 10:48 AM
And now, once again, jedi will show her TRUE thread-stopping talents!! I am all-powerful! Bow down before me!! No, jiar, no offence, put me out to pasture any time, just keep me supplied with pencils, paper, beer, and chocolate. (they do go together, you just have to pick the right kind of beer - maple beer preferably) :laugh:

Icaruss
06-05-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm...

Fifteen.

j giar
06-05-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm...

Fifteen.
We hate you and envy you. :p :nyah: ..

j giar
06-05-2006, 11:22 AM
And now, once again, jedi will show her TRUE thread-stopping talents!! I am all-powerful! Bow down before me!! No, jiar, no offence, put me out to pasture any time, just keep me supplied with pencils, paper, beer, and chocolate. (they do go together, you just have to pick the right kind of beer - maple beer preferably) :laugh:
Jedi...try Moscato wine and chocolate....you'll never eat chocolate with beer again. Yummi!

Ron Phillips
06-05-2006, 11:51 AM
We hate you and envy you. :p :nyah: ..

No we don't ... 15 sucked.

43? Well that'd be the same age as the big kahuney looney of these parts. And there are older here ... scary but true.

But from me to you, nyah, nyah, nyah ... I'm younger than you grandpa. ;)

My daughter is 12 btw. Both my wife an I draw and our daughter is very interested in it. Of course we're not like the artist on the boards, since we are writers, and spend large amount of time at a drafting board, so we don't have that same experience.

Kassy likes to draw cats mostly. She did try to draw a comic about cats, but storytelling has seemed to elude her.

She likes comics though, so she can't be all that bad.