PDA

View Full Version : Question for Colorists

Buckyrig
06-04-2006, 04:13 PM
What kind of information does one need to give a colorist for a job? I mean, it's not a simple paint-by-numbers thing. I assume there is artistic interpretation, but also some guidelines about costuming, character design, and location need to be commincated.

Pens&Pixels
06-04-2006, 05:59 PM
It's absolutely neccessary to have basic character information. Costume colors, etc should be provided. Even if the colorist does something moody and the colors shift to represent that, he/she needs to know where to start. Other important information is time of day/weather. If these things are a part of the story, the colorist needs to know. You don't want someone coloring an entire issue at sunset only to find out the next issue picks up exactly where this one left off and it's bright outside. I've done it...it sucked. Other than that, just make sure they know what's going on with the story. If they're working on sequentials, give them a script. Nothing says "We don't consider your work an important part of the process" more than expecting a colorist to work on your book without letting them know the context of the pages they are coloring. It's important. Do it.