PDA

View Full Version : Contracts for Managing Talent?

Mecha
06-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey guys I'm looking for any help, advice, info, experiences, anything that can help me out with this.

I'm starting to develop management for artists and I don't want to just give them a flimsy, general half page contract (it's amazing what little can go into a contract). I want to have a reliable and secure contract with them. But I'm stuck!

Does anyone here have any experience with that sort of thing, maybe they can point me at some good avenues for writing good contracts? Anything would be appreciated :)

T.J. May
06-06-2006, 11:58 AM
As in YOU becoming a manager and finding them jobs? Or contracts for them to work FOR you on projects?

Mecha
06-06-2006, 12:48 PM
As in ME becoming their manager and finding them jobs, etc, yes.

Mecha
06-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I guess there's no one on here that can help me with this ^_^;;

MrGranger
06-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Um...I wish I could. I pay my lawyer for this. Contracts can be very touchy.

T.J. May
06-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I guess there's no one on here that can help me with this ^_^;;

Yeah, my experience is that unless you are dealing with a big name talent, finding someone comic gigs isn't very profitable. So, there's probably not a lot of info for this sort of thing. The industry is too small, the jobs to few, and the highest paying jobs are offered directly from the company, they don't need to be sought out.

But, you can check under contracts in the resources section. Before you begin managing someone's career though, you may won't to get a law degree if you don't already have one. It can get very tricky.

My best
--T

MrGranger
06-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Each contract is a few hundred but there are even cheaper options.

http://www.legalzoom.com/
http://www.nolo.com/

Hope that helps.

albone
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Have you checked out the Creator Community sticky?
http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85060

Lots 'O good stuff there, as well as contract resources....be sure to scroll down for it. :)

The first link is a pdf of a crapload of various contracts for different situations put together I think, by DJ.

Can you dig it?

Hey guys I'm looking for any help, advice, info, experiences, anything that can help me out with this.

I'm starting to develop management for artists and I don't want to just give them a flimsy, general half page contract (it's amazing what little can go into a contract). I want to have a reliable and secure contract with them. But I'm stuck!

Does anyone here have any experience with that sort of thing, maybe they can point me at some good avenues for writing good contracts? Anything would be appreciated :)

Mecha
06-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks guys :) Yeah I have a lawyer that can put the contract together for me, just is REALLY expensive up here....

TJ: No law degree required, I've actually been doing management for artists for a while already as favours for friends. There's people asking me to expand though and I don't know some of the artists as well as I do others. So I want a more secure measure in place.

Thanks for the info guys!

MrGranger
06-08-2006, 11:26 AM
"No law degree required, I've actually been doing management for artists for a while already as favours for friends."
-Mecha

"A friendship founded on business is a good deal better than a business founded on friendship."
- John D. Rockefeller

I've made the same mistake myself. And while those templates are fine if no/little money is involved, AS SOON AS there is any significant amount of money you'll wish you'd hired that lawyer. No contract template / do-it-yourself form is good enough for long term business. $300 to pay a lawyer is squat to insure many years of "friendship". :carrot:

fluxchild
06-08-2006, 07:11 PM
what about writers?

Mecha
06-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Granger: I know that, that is why I'm going to have contracts written up for this. I'll be visiting my region's law school for information :) Thanks guys!

Flux: Yes?